Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Porsche 924 Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Update on my own 924, after being recommended to give Bryan Kane a call in Harmonstown motors my 924 is now running as sweet as a nut. He talked about a load of fuel issues that went straight over my head.

All I know is that its silky smooth at idle, now pulls like a train and I am happy!
    Great stuff, that is what my car needs now...
    I need to get a pipe that runs to cool the alternator, does anybody know the diameter of the needed pipe?

I have heard its 5cm? Apparently the one below is a perfect fit.
    The one you listed is a hose for the engine cooling system. You need a plastic or even a paper flexible hose. My car also does not have it (yet), and as I have just measured, the required diameter is 50mm. It is the same diameter and the type of hose as in the Volkswagen Beetle engine cooling system. The length may need to be longer in the 924 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 munuus

yup it is 50mm
    any aluminum air hose will do :)
    ebay.ie/itm/ALUMINIUM-FLEXIBLE-AIR-DUCTING-CARBURETTOR-HOSE-50MM-ID-2-500MM-LONG-/361318547146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5420437eca

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

deckie27 wrote: »
    A couple of years i got injector seals from porsche ireland.
    Cost less that €20 delivered for 4.

That's gas - probably the last place I'd look for them. :D

:) well, the last time friend called Porsche Ireland they didn't really know or wanted to know what is 944 turbo... it was few years ago, but since then we get everything from North... :)

In fairness they look like rubber orings you can get in your local farm hardware shop for 20c each.

• Advertisement

I wonder if I can get that in Wicks or similar builders supply near me. Ebay can be fierce slow.

Try here - http://www.air-cooled-parts.com/cat/product_info.php?products_id=22800

Perfect ordered! Nice one
    That is the one dedicated for a Volkswagen. 1m long, which is for both sides in the Bug's engine, should be long enough for 924. Just make sure you have the plastic attachments on both sides (alternator and above the radiator) to connect them together with the hose.

I am fairly sure the one above the radiator is there, not sure about the one on the alternator though. Hopefully its not raining tomorrow and I`ll take a look :pac:
    If the alternator was replaced (as in my car) the chances are the piece is missing, but hopefully it is there. It should be attached to the alternator anyway.

alternator side is metal cover, 3 bolts with pipe alike attachment above alternator.

My car had some diesel alternator when I got it so I got original alternator with that cover.

Btw anyone here taped exhaust with tape, to prevent melting cables from alternator to starter and HT leads?

well I have that metal shield there :) but those cables got melted anyway. And it seems that somebody was there before and repairing them too :)

I will order some tape of ebay and wrap it all the way down. Will post some pics afterwards

• Advertisement

munuus wrote: »
    well I have that metal shield there :) but those cables got melted anyway. And it seems that somebody was there before and repairing them too :)

I will order some tape of ebay and wrap it all the way down. Will post some pics afterwards
    Regarding the HT cables, they need to be genuine and have the metal shields at the plugs. Also, they are secured by two plastic holders to the engine head cover.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Regarding the HT cables, they need to be genuine and have the metal shields at the plugs. Also, they are secured by two plastic holders to the engine head cover.

yup they are now, when I pulled out the previous HTs , they split 3 of 4, so it was good reminder to buy proper ones.

I'm still surprised that more people wouldn't wrap the whole manifold with downpipes. It would almost eliminate need for that alternator cooling and kept cables fine.

:) 2 weeks ago I covered all cables in that area in kitchen foil, wrapped flame retardant tape and put them inside alu cover. :) maybe bit overkill but at least they should now last.

Perfect ordered! Nice one

Cool. BTW, the last time I bough this hose, Otto (Cork branch) had it in stock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Doesn't look like I'll need that fancy new stainless exhaust you're getting, LIGHTNING!

Got a decent quote from a lad in Dun Laoghaire to replace the bit of my exhaust with the hole in it. He's worked on the car before so am happy to trust him. Of course if something drops off during the work things might change...!

The heater valve remains on my to do list but the summer has disappeared and I fixed my windows anyway.

I've all my spare bits tucked in the two side compartments under the carpet behind the wheel arches - is that where yours are to go? Can fit a lot in there, and then can leave the boot cover open so as not to pique the interest of scobes.

I always carry a spare alternator belt and two long flat-nosed screwdrivers to change it after the original woes I had some years back. :)

:) I even carry there 2 axle stands, belts, tape, cable ties, bit of cable and so on back there...

today ordered those bloody injector seals, all of them are leaking air as found through spraying carb cleaner around. if anybody needs them: mecatechnic.com/en-GB/joint-injecteur-porsche-924-944-928-968-accessoires-injection~924-MOT-INJ-JOI.htm

After that :) I should be able to set it up with wide band 02 to make it run hopefully ok

What a lovely weekend :)
    time to sort few issues like not working blower, rev lights etc :)

I'd look into fitting a steering wheel at some point, too! ;)

Dades wrote: »
    I'd look into fitting a steering wheel at some point, too! ;)

Overrated. BMX handlebars are the new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dcollins

Dades wrote: »
    Any recommendations on best oil type for an '83 NA? :)

Brand/grade etc.

I have the 924 83' NA and use Castrol magnatec 10w40. Right viscosity for our climate and a great oil with some small additives to help with old seal's etc.

• Advertisement

Got the stainless steel exhaust fitted, but its far far too loud. Going to have to bring it back and get something sorted. It looks really nice but you couldn't live with it.
    It must be really loud! Louder than mine that you heard passing by recently?

Did they do an emissions check after fitting it, btw? Obviously the NCT will do one (unless you're pre-1980).

dcollins wrote: »
    I have the 924 83' NA and use Castrol magnatec 10w40. Right viscosity for our climate and a great oil with some small additives to help with old seal's etc.
    Thanks - I picked something up a while back, not that I can remember what grade it was. :)

Hi Guys,

Any idea how to take this part of the steering wheel assembly out? Its the only things stopping me getting the instrument cluster out and i want to either glue back into place or replace the typical cog you always hear of going a bit wonky on the odometer. All the guides say remove 4 screws, i can only find three. There is also the bolt hole under the steering column but i think thats for taking off more than just this piece. Its really holding me back so any help would be really appreciated.

It feels like its the cables on the left mostly keeping it in as I have a fair bit of movement at the min and am reluctant to apply much force.
    Also I have included a photo of my wheel as i also have the momo with the porche horn insert thats smaller than my original wheel, I love it.HmxMxNr.jpg?1
    HuNxHxa.jpg?1

I replaced my wheel this year but obviously never had to remove that bit of the assembly, so I can't really help. I can have a look at my own assembly if that's any use.

I'd be surprised if someone here can't help you tho. Good luck!

Well- After 1.5 hours fiddling today I did get the cover off and enough room to pull out the instrument cluster.
    BUT the previous owner had the cabling redone and its lovely but very taut. So I am having trouble getting the cluster out enough to unscrew the main connector at the back...
    Does anyone know where the speedo cable enters the cabin from the engine bay? I need to feed about 2 inches more in to have enough room.
    I'd also love to get an overall check up by a mechanic who's familiar. Can anyone recommend a dublin area Mechanic who is familiar.

Cheers guys, hope we get a meet together sometime. I'd love to see some different 924's :-)

Well- After 1.5 hours fiddling today I did get the cover off and enough room to pull out the instrument cluster.
    BUT the previous owner had the cabling redone and its lovely but very taut. So I am having trouble getting the cluster out enough to unscrew the main connector at the back...
    Does anyone know where the speedo cable enters the cabin from the engine bay? I need to feed about 2 inches more in to have enough room.
    I'd also love to get an overall check up by a mechanic who's familiar. Can anyone recommend a dublin area Mechanic who is familiar.

Cheers guys, hope we get a meet together sometime. I'd love to see some different 924's :-)

I did remove those cables from lying on my back first, then reached to unscrew the speedo cable.

From the part around indicators the same, 3 bolts from front which u already removed and 1 from steering lock, which u might need to remove before you pull the top cover and then all the rest. I didn't manage to pull ignition switch so I pried it and get it out anyway :)

2 pics of dash and speedo cable below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Theres a bolt accessed through a hole on the underside of the dash that releases the lot.

The speedo cable enters the cabin above the passenger footwell. But best to just unscrew it from the cluster before removing.

Also the pod can be removed with out taking out the complete cluster.
    Its only held in place with friction, Just give a little twist and it "should" pop out.

Thanks guys!

Were you able to unscrew the speedo cabe from reaching behind from under the foot-well? I tried but it seems so tight back there and i have little hands and all!? I thought i'd be able to pull out the cluster enough to unscrew it from the front but there is so little slack on the cable that it only moves out an inch. I'm gonna use your great photos to try find where i can thread a bit more cable through to give me a bit of slack. Cheers!
    munuus wrote: »
    I did remove those cables from lying on my back first, then reached to unscrew the speedo cable.

From the part around indicators the same, 3 bolts from front which u already removed and 1 from steering lock, which u might need to remove before you pull the top cover and then all the rest. I didn't manage to pull ignition switch so I pried it and get it out anyway :)

2 pics of dash and speedo cable below

deckie27 wrote: »
    Theres a bolt accessed through a hole on the underside of the dash that releases the lot.
    You mean the hole for the "warm start" button? :D

3978066428_ccc4b447d1_z.jpg?zz=1

Hi Guys,

Do ye know of anyone who's breaking a 924 - There's a few bits I'm thinking of replacing.

Cheers,
    Dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Hi Guys,

Do ye know of anyone who's breaking a 924 - There's a few bits I'm thinking of replacing.

Cheers,
    Dan

What are you after

Advertisement