Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm struggling to think of any entertainer on earth I'm enjoying more right now than Jericho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I am fast losing interest in AEW. Not to where I won't watch, I just don't feel excited for the show anymore.

If you're a fan of spot heavy wrestling, this show might be for you, but all I could think watching that first half hour last night was who could care about this? You just had dudes doing moves with no rhyme or reason for half hour between the opener and the second match, No promos, no stakes, no upward momentum for winners, no downward trajectory for losers. Just men doing moves until one random move is the finish.

I enjoyed the Cody segment & the Jericho promo.

The rest...I'm not into the Brandi stuff. Does nothing for me. Moxley never resonated with me as Ambrose and that's even more pronounced now. I don't think that was a good match either.

I will be interested to see the ratings. It feels like Khan & co are banking on the idea that just putting good modern wrestling out there is enough. I don't think it is. You become fatigued by the sameness. There needs to be more promos, more character development & more stakes, to my eye.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to think of any entertainer on earth I'm enjoying more right now than Jericho.

I genuinely think Jericho should be considered on the level of Hogan and Flair when it comes to the greatest of all time.

His gimmicks were never as flamboyant, and he reigned over a time when the wrestling fandom disengaged with the product, so he never hit the same mainstream appeal as the others from the 80s era.

But the main has constantly reinvented himself, and managed to stay massively relevant over a 30 year span. I'm struggling to think of others who can stay the same; his peers have largely retired, or had way, way shorter windows of relevancy. (Maybe Hunter, but his relevancy came through different means).

Jericho legit has had one of the greatest careers of all time, and the fact his AEW stint is a continuation (as opposed to a final pay-day where he's phoning it in) is a testament to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Love that AEW concentrates on in-ring action, WWE more than caters for those who want angles like backstage murder mysteries, cheating/cuckolding etc.

Thought the opener, the matches involving the Lucha Bros and the main event were all really good. Also another fantastic promo from Cody, and I see they have signed Kris Statlander who looked very impressive in her surprising victory over Hikaru Shida.

Monokne wrote: »
    I am fast losing interest in AEW. Not to where I won't watch, I just don't feel excited for the show anymore.

If you're a fan of spot heavy wrestling, this show might be for you, but all I could think watching that first half hour last night was who could care about this? You just had dudes doing moves with no rhyme or reason for half hour between the opener and the second match, No promos, no stakes, no upward momentum for winners, no downward trajectory for losers. Just men doing moves until one random move is the finish.

I enjoyed the Cody segment & the Jericho promo.

The rest...I'm not into the Brandi stuff. Does nothing for me. Moxley never resonated with me as Ambrose and that's even more pronounced now. I don't think that was a good match either.

I will be interested to see the ratings. It feels like Khan & co are banking on the idea that just putting good modern wrestling out there is enough. I don't think it is. You become fatigued by the sameness. There needs to be more promos, more character development & more stakes, to my eye.

I can't say I disagree with you, and I feel the main problem is that they are trying to compete with NXT for immediate viewers, and they feel they need the show to be "all action" from the off. Priority is on the short term ratings rather than the long term growth of the brand, which is a dreadful oversight.

They need to understand that building a potential crossover superstar like Jack Perry is only one of several far better ways to win out this ratings war in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Love that AEW concentrates on in-ring action, WWE more than caters for those who want angles like backstage murder mysteries, cheating/cuckolding etc.

That's exactly the problem with AEW, they are concentrating on in ring action. It isn't giving us anything we can't get elsewhere. WWE put on very good matches on Raw, SmackDown and NXT every single week.
    As outrageously awful as some WWE storylines are, at least it breaks up the shows a little bit. AEW has a crippling sense of monotony and sameness to it every week. It's especially noticeable the last few weeks when they have no PPV to aim their feuds towards.

How is AEW an alternative to WWE? They are not doing anything better than WWE. That isn't to say they are doing things worse than WWE, but they are just going round in circles, listening to one portion of the audience. That being the Meltzer influenced smart fans.

sirmanga wrote: »
    That's exactly the problem with AEW, they are concentrating on in ring action. It isn't giving us anything we can't get elsewhere. WWE put on very good matches on Raw, SmackDown and NXT every single week.
    As outrageously awful as some WWE storylines are, at least it breaks up the shows a little bit. AEW has a crippling sense of monotony and sameness to it every week. It's especially noticeable the last few weeks when they have no PPV to aim their feuds towards.

How is AEW an alternative to WWE? They are not doing anything better than WWE. That isn't to say they are doing things worse than WWE, but they are just going round in circles, listening to one portion of the audience. That being the Meltzer influenced smart fans.

Why watch it if it doesn't cater to your tastes? Plenty of promotions out there that focus on angles, storyline heavy stuff etc. You think it's a problem, I think it's a strength, different strokes for different folks. Similarly I would hate to see NJPW go in an angle, storyline heavy direction, much prefer the in-ring action personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Why watch it if it doesn't cater to your tastes? Plenty of promotions out there that focus on angles, storyline heavy stuff etc. You think it's a problem, I think it's a strength, different strokes for different folks. Similarly I would hate to see NJPW go in an angle, storyline heavy direction, much prefer the in-ring action personally.
    I watch it because I think it has potential to be better. Much better. They have so much money at their disposal and are on prime time TV.
    But they are playing to a niche audience. And audience that they will not lose even if they start doing a more angle heavy show. They will always have those fans, so they might as well try and get new ones.
    I'm not going to delude myself into thinking this is the sequel to WWE vs WCW, because it isn't. Many people have convinced themselves that it is, including the people running AEW. It all comes across as second rate and amateurish.

If anyone genuinely thinks this is the second coming of the Monday Night wars they are absolutely deluded. The comparison can't be made because it's just not true, regardless of company, brand, wrestling style etc. You'd have to think it's 99.9% likely wrestling popularity will never reach those heights again.

And I'm not sure going angle heavy would bring in loads of new viewers to AEW, Raw and SD are storyline driven and don't seem to be growing massively in popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AEW 851,000

NXT 845,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cody having a wee dig at Damien Priest and then later they do a reference to Britt's appearance at WarGames.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Cody having a wee dig at Damien Priest and then later they do a reference to Britt's appearance at WarGames.

Far too tna which I hate

I am not the only person to make this point, but NXT is presenting the alternative product to Raw & Smackdown, whereas AEW uses a lot of the Raw/SD tropes. I think that's why a couple hundred thousand people have given up or gone back to NXT.

The biggest surprise to me has been the absence of hierarchy in their booking. I really thought we would have top tier stars who rarely if ever lost rather than the 50-50 stuff that WWE does. Instead, Omega has lost half his big matches, so has Pac, so has Page. The Bucks & Lucha's have done a number of meaningless jobs. The women all just beat each other. Last night the number one contender did a job. Why!? And within seconds it was forgotten because they had 5 angles to run.

The other thing is between Dark Order & Nightmare Collective they have two cult acts, and when you add in Havoc, Allin, Butcher, Blade & Bunny it feels like 25% of the roster is doing a dark/horror/goth gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm confused one day people are saying that it's too focused on wrestling and not enough on character development & promos then the next day people are saying it's trying to be too much like Raw/Smackdown which is contradicting the in ring focus completely.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dannocasey

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'm confused one day people are saying that it's too focused on wrestling and not enough on character development & promos then the next day people are saying it's trying to be too much like Raw/Smackdown which is contradicting the in ring focus completely.

:confused:

You are conflating the issues, and adding your own spin.

There is a case to be made, which others have argued, that the show is too wrestling heavy and there is not enough character development.

There is also a case to be made, separately, which I would make, that the character development they are doing is derivative and hard to take seriously - a top heel group doing heavy comedy, mutliple acts doing the spooky stuff.

Cody tends to hit the right notes. He can wrestle well, and does, but he also cuts good promos, and his angles tend to have a realism & simplicity to them. Simplistic and realistic is what they should go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Monokne wrote: »
    You are conflating the issues, and adding your own spin.

There is a case to be made, which others have argued, that the show is too wrestling heavy and there is not enough character development.

There is also a case to be made, separately, which I would make, that the character development they are doing is derivative and hard to take seriously - a top heel group doing heavy comedy, mutliple acts doing the spooky stuff.

Cody tends to hit the right notes. He can wrestle well, and does, but he also cuts good promos, and his angles tend to have a realism & simplicity to them. Simplistic and realistic is what they should go for.

Adding my own spin :rolleyes:
    The one consistency they've had is you moaning anyway. Most people would have turned off 3 weeks in but you seem to always look for negatives.
    Although fair play to Omega & the Bucks on this weeks rating, since they were apparently the ones at fault for the drop last week they'll need to get the praise for this week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

dannocasey wrote: »

Alfred Konuwa.. why is that name familiar? Was he Big Nasty on Bleacher Report??

ERG89 wrote: »
    Adding my own spin :rolleyes:
    The one consistency they've had is you moaning anyway. Most people would have turned off 3 weeks in but you seem to always look for negatives

Attacking the person rather than the point is a sure fire way of showing you know there's truth in what I'm saying & you don't want to discuss that. :D

I specifically noted the spin you were putting on it & debunked it directly. Have you any retort to the points I made, or do you just want to deflect and have a petty argument? :confused: How about we just move on? :)

The show had largely been good and the issues have come over the past few weeks. The last 3 shows have had the influx of new and similar acts, the establishment of the fact that guys are going to trade meaningless wins & losses a lot, and that's coincided with the novelty of the show wearing off, and the crowds being quieter & less reactive.

If you can't hear reasoned & rational criticism without roundly dismissing it, take a page out of Cody's book, he gets it:
    ELDDcQfU0AAkVq2?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Alfred Konuwa.. why is that name familiar? Was he Big Nasty on Bleacher Report??

Yeah he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭ThePott

There's a sort of a strange logic with some people and AEW. Thinking that because it's an alternative to WWE or because it's the polar opposite that it is immune from criticism. It's possible to both want it to succeed, watch it and still give it complaints.

I think the complaint that it's too wrestling heavy is totally valid. I remember when 205 Live started and it became a case of wrestling for wrestlings sake and it was hard to get invested in. No one is saying AEW is bad but it's hard to stay invested in. It doesn't mean we need some cucking story or something stupid but some character development or story would really add to it. Hell a lot of people haven't even cut promos yet. Thinking back to the highlights from the last few weeks have been promos. Cody, Jericho, Moxley, MJF all give amazing non-wrestling segments and they're some of the most over guys there. The show needs variety. They have some of the best talent in the world, we know that but on a show where every nearly wrestler is amazing, that's not enough. AEW is aiming for the smarks who know these people from the indies, which is why they've put less development into a few of them. That'll only get you so far though. Criticise WWE for a lot of things but they often do character stuff well even if the stories can be dogsh1te. Right now from AEW, what do we have to distinguish Jimmy Havoc from The Bunny, The Butcher and the Blade? They're both leather clad goths. Sure Havoc is hardcore but have we gotten anything else from him that you wouldn't have picked up from watching one of his matches, is he that shallow a character. Half the roster seems to have nothing to do until they get a random title match and suddenly develop a personality outside of, I'm a great wrestler.

Let me be clear, I like AEW but the last few weeks with no particular end goal in mind except put on some great matches they're aimless. We're in a massive wrestling boom where we can find amazing wrestling in a lot of places, story and character matter. People can love AEW and still have some issues with it and hope for it to improve. There are problems with certain aspects of AEW. They were easier to hide in the beginning and when there was a PPV in sight. I don't get why we're meant to just be happy it exists and can't give it some reasonsable criticism.

HOW DARE YOU ThePott!? YOU HATE AEW AND YOU ARE JUST BEING NEGATIVE

But seriously now, I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Simply not being WWE shouldn't make you immune to criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I found both shows this week to be less than amazing. I feel the honeymoon period for both shows is over. That said, both shows still were entertaining but had plenty of negatives.

You cant have homeruns every week and I feel both shows dropped in terms of over all enjoyment.

Jericho has so many positives but Im finding it hard to take him seriously as a world champion as the weeks progress. Far too much comedy for my liking. As noted above Cody seems to strike the right balance in terms of keeping things simple and entertaining. His feud with MJF has been mostly done right.

While Jericho has done plenty in elevating the likes of Scorpio Sky, Allan and now JB, I just dont see his work being the headline act for a company. Hes too old in ring and the comedy has slowly creeped in week after week to the point where its a turn off. That said its far from brutal either and still better than anything on Smackdown bar Daniel Bryan.

The likes of the YB Kenny, Lucha Bros and Pac are all talented wrestlers and their in ring work is fine. But i feel less is more sometimes and they all have had very little chatacter development since Dynamite began and are slowly suffering as a result.

Also more development characterwise is needed for those lesser known stars like Darby Allan, the BBB, Britt Baker, Provate Party etc. Just less in ring and more backstage onterviews and angles please.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As long as Luchasaurus is on AEW it will be the best wrestling show on TV if he leaves whatever show he ends up on will then be the best wrestling show on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

As long as Luchasaurus is on AEW it will be the best wrestling show on TV if he leaves whatever show he ends up on will then be the best wrestling show on TV.

Saurus and the boys have a very entertaining mid card act. The spotlight with Jericho did them no harm at all. Ive no problem with them at all.

I do feel from AEW top of the card aspect it does their top heel no favors though. Jericho has already worked a short program with Darby Allan which may be similar to what they are doing with Jungle Boy in terms of plicky underdog vs top dog. plus its not what Jericho needs right now.

Jericho needs a more serious feud at the minute. Obviously Mox is on the horizon. I would have rathered a continuation of the Allan program rather than a new one with these guys if they are holding off Moxc vs Y2J.

I also felt the Cody feud was great but too short. Id rather them stretch that out a bit further then have MJF turn.

One thing I cant fault is Jerichos willingness to evevate younger / newer talent.

Sky Allan and now these guys are getting a nice rub win lose or draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Catching up on Dynamite now. My interest is fading. I started by watching it live, then I'd wake up early to catch it before work, then I'd watch it in work and now I'm watching it whenever.

I think my interest will pick up again when they start building towards the next PPV, right now it feels like they are threading water. Saying that though, the matches are still excellent. I think if it wasn't for Jericho providing the other side of pro wrestling, I might have tuned out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Yeah he was.

And now he's at Forbes? Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Watched Dark for the first time. Thought Nyla Rose was decent on commentary and Excalibur bounced well off her.

That's all I have to really say about it. NWA still rules the platform. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Really liking the Dark Order skits, wouldn't mind seeing them trying to recruit Orange Cassidy for a bit of fun. Hopefully the skits lead to something though.

• Advertisement

I think AEW men's division is doing a fine job with its booking.

The top guys are clear: Cody, Mox, Le Champion, and MJF. Plenty of feuds to be had here.

Then you've guys who are getting a slower build, i.e., Pac, Page, Allin, who will probably be in the top tier within a year or so.

Then you have the guys they are trying to get off the ground, Scorpio, Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus, Fenix, etc.

With the PPVs coming every quarter, their arcs don't need to become immediately apparent. E.g., they had a few weeks before it became obvious that Jericho would face Moxley.

So while the shows seem pretty gung-ho, in terms of trying to capture your immediate attention, the booking has had a fairly consistent long-term focus so far.

The wildcard is obviously Omega, who seems to be happy to serve carpentry duty for the time being. Whenever the time is right, they can quickly put him in a main event programme with very little justification needed.

Now the women and the tag division are all over the place... I think Khan may need to step in here and replace whoever is booking this (Omega and the Bucks, respectively?)

Advertisement