Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

B0jangles wrote: »
    I think you're in luck!
    LL8CQc4.png

The big one is called 'jam' while the little one is 'chutney' but I had a quick look and the ingredient list looked about the same :)

Gave this a go with some wensleydale with cranberries and carr's water table crackers, the jam/chutney is quite jammy in consistency/texture so not to my liking personally, I prefer the consistency of something like Ballymaloe jalapeno relish myself. Worth trying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Aldi have started to stock the Walls Honest Chip ship chips. They are in the chilled section where the veg is. Cost €3.75 for a bag. They were nice I have to say. Put them into the oven for about 15-20 minutes and they are as close to chip shop chips I’ve ever had. Nice treat for once a week.

I couldn't find these yesterday... oh the disappointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I'll be going on the hunt for these today.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Picked up a couple of packets of cooked Chestnuts this morning. Handy for the stuffing and roasting with the sprouts.

3-DCCE625-C13-D-4-CA3-9733-BE7830502132.jpg

Or on an open fire

mystic86 wrote: »
    Gave this a go with some wensleydale with cranberries and carr's water table crackers, the jam/chutney is quite jammy in consistency/texture so not to my liking personally, I prefer the consistency of something like Ballymaloe jalapeno relish myself. Worth trying anyway.

ALDI have a lovely relish, much user friendly than Ballygobackwards

• Advertisement

No price given on that spiral cut ham.

That’s always €19.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

vicwatson wrote: »
    ALDI have a lovely relish, much user friendly than Ballygobackwards

Sorry but how is a relish user friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

In Wexford they were amongst the fruit and veg section. I managed to pick another bag up yesterday but there was very limited stock. This was their first week been on the shelf’s in Aldi.

bigron2109 wrote: »
    In Wexford they were amongst the fruit and veg section. I managed to pick another bag up yesterday but there was very limited stock. This was their first week been on the shelf’s in Aldi.

I wonder did I miss them because I was looking in the wrong place then :confused: I was searching over near the side dishes, you know where the cauliflower cheese and bombay potatoes and all are, because that's where they were in mine under the "Grow with Aldi" trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

I picked up a bottle of Specially Selected salted caramel sauce yesterday, on the shelves over the freezers.
    They also had a Belgian chocolate and maybe one other flavour.

Took one taste and binned it, sickeningly sweet. I like sweet things but this was ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Picked up a couple of packets of cooked Chestnuts this morning. Handy for the stuffing and roasting with the sprouts.

Where did you find them? Looking all over for them!

Where did you find them? Looking all over for them!

In mine they were at the middle intersection of an aisle with some of the other Christmas special stuff, like the chutneys and pastry straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

SozBbz wrote: »

I'd say he means as in....its more palatable and child friendly to buy aldi rather than line the pockets of the notorious allen clan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Probably cheaper to go to a chipper!
    Could be, the portions are big in most chippers. They reheat brilliantly in an airfryer, sometimes come out better than they were originally.
    I imagine its the container, maybe the ballymaloe one gets a messy lid on the squeezy bottle.

I like those metal clippy lid jars for the chutney, you might pay more for an empty one in some homeware shop.

Well, I used the term to illustrate there are better relishes out there imo that don’t carry the baggage of ballymaloe

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The chicken thigh fillets are I think better in chicken chasseur \ casserole type fishes than chicken breasts.
    ALDI have them for 400g for €2.99.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Had the venison steaks for dinner this evening. Marinated them for a few hours, cooked them rare on a very hot griddle and let them rest for 10 minutes before slicing thin.

Tender, juicy and full of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

54and56 wrote: »
    Had the venison steaks for dinner this evening. Marinated them for a few hours, cooked them rare on a very hot griddle and let them rest for 10 minutes before slicing thin.

Tender, juicy and full of flavour.

where abouts are the in aldi?,are the with the around the normal steak area in aldi ?.

bassy wrote: »
    where abouts are the in aldi?,are the with the around the normal steak area in aldi ?.

I found them on the top shelf in with the sausages and bacon in the Sandyford store.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

The Moser Roth White chocolate is absolutely divine. I wouldn’t usually choose white chocolate but this is knock out. So creamy 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They have some nice rice in the centre aisle specials at the moment, Brown Basmati and Wild Rice, and Thai Brown, Black and Red Rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    The Moser Roth White chocolate is absolutely divine. I wouldn’t usually choose white chocolate but this is knock out. So creamy ��
    I could build a house out of the amount of that Ive eaten since Aldi brought it in, its amazing, I keep it in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I know you can't eat them but does anyone know what the story is with the fresh Christmas trees? Do they get some new ones every few days-checked around yesterday and couldn't see any. And I'm assuming they come wrapped so you can't see what they look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I know you can't eat them but does anyone know what the story is with the fresh Christmas trees? Do they get some new ones every few days-checked around yesterday and couldn't see any. And I'm assuming they come wrapped so you can't see what they look like?

Not checking out a Christmas tree before buying it, especially one of the smaller ones like Aldi have, would be madness in my opinion. I suppose you could bring it back with their no quibble guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I picked up their cheap little brown soda loaf (only 47c) and its actually very tasty with a nice texture :) I got it to use as part of a nutroast recipe but instead I'm just eating it with butter.

We got a load of these too - very good value compared to the same sort of thing in Tesco, and I'm fecked if I ever roast and peel chestnuts again; last time I did that my nails hurt for days afterwards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Quick question, looking for a Christmas pudding anyone know if ones in ALDI are decent .. do they do luxury ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

harr wrote: »
    Quick question, looking for a Christmas pudding anyone know if ones in ALDI are decent .. do they do luxury ones.

The standard 4.99 holly Lane one is an absolutely excellent classic-style Christmas pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That chipotle chilli relish/jam is amazing!!! Must stock up or I'll be lost without it with my nightly cheese attack.
    Noticed those fresh chips are above the grated packs of cheese, near the pate in our store (Leitrim, obv :D) so they can be anywhere!

No price given on that spiral cut ham.

€19.99, picked one up this evening. Not sure when I'll cook it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

B0jangles wrote: »
    The standard 4.99 holly Lane one is an absolutely excellent classic-style Christmas pudding.
    Ok thanks , will pick up a couple at weekend .I am the only one here that likes Christmas pudding .

Advertisement