Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

metal bird ring

Options
  • 30-11-2019 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I came across a bird leg with two rings on Sandymount Strand today, took a few photos but can only make out "museum" on the metal ring and the yellow ring says "BT". I'll go back tomorrow and see if it's still there and get the full number, in the meantime anyone able to tell me what kind of bird it was?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Am I seeing a www. something, under museum? Could that be a website?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

New Home wrote: »
    Am I seeing a www. something, under museum? Could that be a website?

Probably but I just took a few quick photos. Went back today and feathers still there but foot with rings gone. It was probably a redshank.

I don't have enough info from the photos to make out the number on the metal ring. I know next time to get proper photos and then submit the details online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Probably but I just took a few quick photos. Went back today and feathers still there but foot with rings gone. It was probably a redshank.

I don't have enough info from the photos to make out the number on the metal ring. I know next time to get proper photos and then submit the details online.

Better still recover the rings if possible - can be messy but not too difficult. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Agree with Del Monte - always good to take the rings with you - no guarantee they'll be there the next day!

In this case, that looks like one of the Dublin Bay Birds Project colour rings. I'll check with my colleagues and DM you to get you the birds history!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

For reference for anyone else reading...

If you find a metal ring from a bird, you can report it here: https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/ringing/about-ringing/why-report-ringed-bird

If you see a colour-ringed bird, you can trace the project and email the ringer here: http://cr-birding.org/colourprojects

Always make sure to report any rings - ringing projects rely on people reporting rings to inform the conservation and monitoring of a huge variety of bird species!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

For reference for anyone else reading...

If you find a metal ring from a bird, you can report it here: https://www.bto.org/our-science/projects/ringing/about-ringing/why-report-ringed-bird

If you see a colour-ringed bird, you can trace the project and email the ringer here: http://cr-birding.org/colourprojects

Always make sure to report any rings - ringing projects rely on people reporting rings to inform the conservation and monitoring of a huge variety of bird species!

I got a reply to the report, Common Redshank ringed in Oct 2014, Sandymount strand. There were two other sightings logged on Sandymount strand, 2014 and 2016.

Advertisement