Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scuba Holiday

• 22-03-2019 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a scuba holiday where I could join up with a group of likeminded people. Am single and would love to go with a group or join up with same. Preferably to warm waters for approx 7 day trip. I did a PADI 3 day course before a couple of years ago.

It would be cool to go on a trip with some Irish people tho.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

If you did a 3-day course, you're probably a PADI Scuba Diver. Relatively unlikely to be able to squeeze the PADI Open Water Diver course into 3 days, and even if you did, I'd be worried about the quality of the training if it was that rushed.

If you're PADI Scuba Diver, you are only qualified to dive with a Divemaster's or Instructor's supervision, and only to 12m. This limits your options seriously.

Contact your nearest PADI dive centre. https://locator.padi.com/search?lang=en&location=Ireland

Upgrade your qualification to Open Water Diver.

Dive as often as possible this summer with the dive centre. You'll make great friends doing so.

Then think about going abroad for a week next year. The dive centre will probably be organising trips themselves, or else they'll point you in the direction of someone else who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Thanks for that. The course was actually an SSI Open Water Course. I completed part online and spent the theee days in the water and completed the exam after.

As far as I know it was a reputable dive Centre called Calypso Diving Centre located in Gozo Malta.

Anyway will contact a local dive Centre near me on Dublin’s Southside if anyone can recommend one.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I agree with the previous poster. You need to increase your diving experience before you dive with non professional supervision. Work on your bouyancy and increase your allowable limits. Not too many guys on a diving hol are gonna be delighted to be buddying a novice to 12 metres when they could be seeing a doing more at (presumably) deeper depths.

AFAIK, SSI is virtually non-existent in Ireland, so I doubt you’ll find an SSI centre.

From a brief glance at SSI’s website it looks like their Open Water qualification is broadly similar to PADI’s one. That being said, I stand over what I said already: I’d be concerned about the quality of the training if it was compressed into three days.

My advice about going to your nearest PADI centre also still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conhoulihan

try Shane Gray on the unspoilt little islands of La Gomera, La Palma and El Hierro

• Advertisement

try Shane Gray on the unspoilt little islands of La Gomera, La Palma and El Hierro

Not unless the OP has upskilled since March.
    The diving in El Hierro (which is where Shane organised diving trips) would not be suitable for someone who has only done a 3-day course.
    (Apart from dives within the La Restinga harbour, that is)

Advertisement