Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life: Alyx VR

• 19-11-2019 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭

This is a big deal. First Half Life game in twelve years. And it's VR. Also from Valve.

Announcement on Thursday.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

As a Half-Life fan, this is terrible.

As a VR fan, this is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

As a Half-Life fan, this is terrible.

As a VR fan, this is incredible.

Paradox?

It's looks really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Jaysis.. that's looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

This looks fantastic, HL2VR was fantastic until valve bored it so this should be great, also decent physics is brilliant in VR

• Advertisement

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056469764/101

This thread is absolutely hilarious to read. It's so salty I could tilt my laptop over a saucepan when boiling pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

mrcheez wrote: »
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056469764/101

This thread is absolutely hilarious to read. It's so salty I could tilt my laptop over a saucepan when boiling pasta.
    Tbf the argument that some people don't have good gaming PCs and headsets is a decent enough argument, however that's not valve's fault Sony always have the option of purchasing the rights.

In general the arguments are nonsensical though as it's obvious the gameplay mechanics are relying on VR and having played HL2VR it's obvious this is the next gen HL needs.

Available March 23

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1228039740001177600

fsck me that was quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I am so tempted to buy this. But that also means buying a completely new pc and VR. Which won't be cheap.
    Also, am sneekingly hoping the PS5 will have improved vr and who knows, Half Life Alyx may get a port?

Obviously Valve want to push their Index so why port it? But then again, it's not like its "index only" and even Half Life 2 got an XBOX port while HL2 itself was pushing steam. So I dunno heres hoping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Out on Monday...have the rift up for sale but tempted to hang on to try this out :O

Lot of hype around it, apparently it's the real deal..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Any idea when this unlocks today? I'm so excited to try it - may no get a chance this evening, but have it preloaded, so hopefully tomorrow if not today!

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Any idea when this unlocks today? I'm so excited to try it - may no get a chance this evening, but have it preloaded, so hopefully tomorrow if not today!

5pm!

Already got my playspace setup, just waiting till I sign off work at 4:59 ;)

https://yourcountdown.to/half-life-alyx

I hope I get a chance to at least try it this evening, I'm so hyped! Been playing Boneworks and Blade & Sorcery to try to develop a VR sickness threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Sold the Rift CV1, now gotta wait til Rift S gets back in stock to get to grips with this...good luck all! Exciting times and only 9 minutes to go!

Holy Mother of God, this is incredible

Holy Mother of God, this is incredible

It really is! I'm going very slowly, taking it all in. Its so good, and feels so very Half Life! Worth the wait!

pasta-solo wrote: »
    It really is! I'm going very slowly, taking it all in. Its so good, and feels so very Half Life! Worth the wait!

Yeah it's hard to go fast at it. There's so much detail and things to interact with that it's a joy just to savour every section.

Graphics and sound are astonishing. Best graphics yet I think?

as I said on the other forum,

Really enjoying this. Played about two hours so far. Its very immersive, it looks absolutely stunning, the humour is great and story line is good fun so far.

Never felt sick once, or had any motion sickness problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Anyone playing this on the quest?

kerplun k wrote: »
    Anyone playing this on the quest?

Yes, I am using Oculus Link on my Quest. I have no doubt its a better experience on Index, but I am absolutely loving it on Quest. I've played about two hours so far. It looks incredible, and controls very well with the Quest controllers.

• Advertisement

Good to hear. In the market for a new gaming laptop at the moment. This will be my first purchase after I pick one up.

Quest and Link here too... curious to try wirelessly tomorrow

Quest and Link here too... curious to try wirelessly tomorrow

Let me know how that goes!

The dark underground sections are so scary! Headcrabs were an annoyance in old school Half Life, now they are genuinely terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I guess it's impossible to play this without a gaming PC is it? It won't run natively on just the Quest alone?

I guess it's impossible to play this without a gaming PC is it? It won't run natively on just the Quest alone?

yeah you need a gaming PC. I have a laptop with GTX 1070 and 16GB RAM and it runs flawlessly.

You *may* not need a Link cable though, as you can play via Virtual Desktop as long as your home network/router is up to it.

Also for Quest wear some good headphones as the sound in this game is superb and I'd rate it as important as the visuals.

That's right, you need to connect the Quest to a reasonably beefy PC to play. I don't think the Quest would have enough power to run the game on its own unfortunately.

How many here drew a cock n balls on the window at the start? ;)

yeah you need a gaming PC. I have a laptop with GTX 1070 and 16MB RAM and it runs flawlessly.

You *may* not need a Link cable though, as you can play via Virtual Desktop as long as your home network/router is up to it.

Also for Quest wear some good headphones as the sound in this game is superb and I'd rate it as important as the visuals.

I was gonna ask how you planned on playing it wirelessly on quest. Never thought of the VD option.

How many here drew a cock n balls on the window at the start? ;)

No but I spent a lot of time smashing windows on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Sorry for double post -

Hi,

I'm considering getting the Steam Valve Index for new Half Life VR Game.

Would my PC spec run well with it?

CCL Customised Reaper PC
    Code# CONFIG_C4680228.0
    Comprising of:
    1 x 3 Year Warranty
    1 x GameMax (30cm) Magnetic LED Strip - White
    1 x Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 Liquid CPU Cooler
    1 x Seagate BarraCuda 4TB SATA III 3.5" HDD
    1 x Lite-On eBAU108 External DVD Writer Optical Drive
    1 x Gigabyte G750H 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
    1 x Corsair Carbide 275R TG Gaming Case - White
    1 x Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard