Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crimes that have stayed with you for years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Frank12

The murder of Paul Quinn in 2007 in Armagh in 2007 is one that stocks with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Philip Cairns was probably the one for me .. just disappeared and definitely one that stood out as I was around same age.
    Reading over this thread and the Irish cases are horrific to think so much evil in a small country.
    I remember Hillsborough as a young lad , sitting down to watch the match with my dad , I can still see those poor peoples faces being slowly suffocated and crushed.
    While I would read about murders and kidnappings or see them on news but watching people die on the tv definitely is imprinted in my memory.
    A few of the bombs in NI also stand out particularly enniskillen and Omagh .

Philip Cairns was probably the one for me .. just disappeared and definitely one that stood out as I was around same age.
    Reading over this thread and the Irish cases are horrific to think so much evil in a small country.
    I remember Hillsborough as a young lad , sitting down to watch the match with my dad , I can still see those poor peoples faces being slowly suffocated and crushed.
    While I would read about murders and kidnappings or see them on news but watching people die on the tv definitely is imprinted in my memory.
    A few of the bombs in NI also stand out particularly enniskillen and Omagh .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Two similar crimes stand out to me - both occurring around the same time in Dublin, and exposing the society we have become.

First, the murder of Pawel Kalite and Mariusz Szwajkos by David Curran in 2008 (very briefly mentioned upthread). Two Polish men who came here to work hard and contribute to the country. Features classic symptoms of what we are told is minor crime, "just" anti social behaviour etc - man goes to chipper and gets deliberately bumped into by "children" loitering outside and a minor scuffle ensues. As is often the case, the situation was inflamed by a teenage girl (who never saw the inside of a jail) who rang scumbag David Curran (just 17 at the time) who arrived and stabbed both men in the head with a screwdriver.

The murder of those two chaps received a lot of attention at the time, but I think the later (2010) killing of Lukasz Rzeszutko was in some ways almost more horrifying but it got far less attention - probably because there were no witnesses (unlike the case above). Again, a hard working Polish man struck down by scumbags loitering looking for trouble. In this case, there wasn't even a rudimentary "reason" for the attack as in the above case - Lukasz was walking to work (at about 4.30am) when three scumbags decided to "give him a few slaps" on the pretext of asking for a cigarette - they did it "for a buzz" according to one. He was so badly beaten that his workmates (who found him) didn't recognise him and part of his brain came out his nose. Despite this, only one of the attackers (just 18 at the time) was found guilty of murder, with the other two (one with 55 previous convictions, and out on bail at the time) getting away with a manslaughter conviction.

I think both cases shine a light on Irish society and what they reveal ain't pretty. Young, unemployed scumbags hanging around just looking to cause trouble, unmolested by Gardai and given a life of plenty by a ridiculously generous social welfare system - these people's behaviour and crimes are excused by the social care system and the media (and some posters on here) and they prey upon the very workers that pay their social welfare. Just look at the ages of the murderers - 17 and 18 - still kids in many respects yet so far down the road of scumbaggery that there is no turning back - yet many in NGOs and the media refer to these people as 'vulnerable'!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

For people around my parents age in the area I grew up, it was the Una Lynskey abduction and murder.
    She was a 19 year old civil servant who lived on the Fairyhouse side of Ratoath in Meath. In October 1971, she got off a bus from Dublin at the end of the lane she lived on and started to make the short walk home. She never made it there.
    Around the time of her disappearance, a black car was seen parked on the lane she lived on. Local Gardaí knew that a local teenager, Dick Donnelly, owned a black Zypher and came to the conclusion that he and two other locals, Martin Conmey and Martin Kerrigan, abducted and probably murdered her.

Several witnesses stated that they didn't see these three guys in the car but subsequently claimed that they were assaulted by the Gardaí in Trim so that they'd change their statement to say they had seen them.
    The three accused were also assaulted and deprived of sleep by the Gardaí. I think even Una's mother was brought into the interrogation to try and get them to say where the body was. Two of them signed a vague statement after nearly two days without sleep saying that she somehow ended up dead. Obviously, given that Una's mother was shown who the suspects were and were assured by the Gardaí that they had killed her, the wider Lynskey family now knew.

In December, Una Lynskey's body was found in the Dublin mountains. Just over a week later, Martin Kerrigan was bundled into a car by Una's brothers and her cousin, driven to the mountains and murdered. They were found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 3 years each.
    The two remaining accused, Conmey and Donnelly, were both found guilty of the manslaughter of Una and were also jailed for three years. Donnelly was released on appeal but Conmey's conviction stuck. It wasn't until 2010 that Conmey's conviction was quashed and in 2014 it was declared a miscarriage of justice.

It turned out that there were a number of reports of a similar black car with a UK reg around the Dublin area. One witness reported seeing a woman struggling in a black car in a petrol station on the Naas Road on the night Una Lynskey disappeared. These reports were ignored by the Gardaí on the case as they zeroed in on the three innocent men from the start. Una Lynskey's murderer was never found.

TG4 produced an excellent documentary on the case and on Martin Conmey's fight to clear his name.
    https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=5830752729001&teideal=Finn%C3%A9&series=Finn%C3%A9&dlft=35

• Advertisement

For people around my parents age in the area I grew up, it was the Una Lynskey abduction and murder.
    She was a 19 year old civil servant who lived on the Fairyhouse side of Ratoath in Meath. In October 1971, she got off a bus from Dublin at the end of the lane she lived on and started to make the short walk home. She never made it there.
    Around the time of her disappearance, a black car was seen parked on the lane she lived on. Local Gardaí knew that a local teenager, Dick Donnelly, owned a black Zypher and came to the conclusion that he and two other locals, Martin Conmey and Martin Kerrigan, abducted and probably murdered her.

Several witnesses stated that they didn't see these three guys in the car but subsequently claimed that they were assaulted by the Gardaí in Trim so that they'd change their statement to say they had seen them.
    The three accused were also assaulted and deprived of sleep by the Gardaí. I think even Una's mother was brought into the interrogation to try and get them to say where the body was. Two of them signed a vague statement after nearly two days without sleep saying that she somehow ended up dead. Obviously, given that Una's mother was shown who the suspects were and were assured by the Gardaí that they had killed her, the wider Lynskey family now knew.

In December, Una Lynskey's body was found in the Dublin mountains. Just over a week later, Martin Kerrigan was bundled into a car by Una's brothers and her cousin, driven to the mountains and murdered. They were found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 3 years each.
    The two remaining accused, Conmey and Donnelly, were both found guilty of the manslaughter of Una and were also jailed for three years. Donnelly was released on appeal but Conmey's conviction stuck. It wasn't until 2010 that Conmey's conviction was quashed and in 2014 it was declared a miscarriage of justice.

It turned out that there were a number of reports of a similar black car with a UK reg around the Dublin area. One witness reported seeing a woman struggling in a black car in a petrol station on the Naas Road on the night Una Lynskey disappeared. These reports were ignored by the Gardaí on the case as they zeroed in on the three innocent men from the start. Una Lynskey's murderer was never found.

TG4 produced an excellent documentary on the case and on Martin Conmey's fight to clear his name.
    https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=5830752729001&teideal=Finn%C3%A9&series=Finn%C3%A9&dlft=35
    I never even heard of this case or has it turned up in any of the true crime books I have read .. it’s sounds shocking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

harr wrote: »
    I never even heard of this case or has it turned up in any of the true crime books I have read .. it’s sounds shocking
    Only book I remember it being discussed was "Where No One Can Hear You Scream" by Sarah McInerney. I'd definitely recommend the TG4 documentary. It's horrific what 4 families (Conmeys, Donnellys, Kerrigans and, of course, Lynskeys) were put through due to Garda incompetence.
    Reading up on it more, the same squad investigating the murder investigated the Kerry baby case and Sallins train robbery resulting in (or nearly resulting in) similar miscarriages of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

coinop wrote: »
    Channon Gail Christian, aged 21, and Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., aged 23, were from Knoxville, Tennessee. They were kidnapped on the evening of January 6, 2007, when Christian's vehicle was carjacked, and taken to a rental house, where both of them were raped, tortured, and murdered.

eHte51k.jpg

Newsom's body was discovered near a set of nearby railroad tracks. He had been bound, blindfolded, gagged, and stripped naked from the waist down. He had been shot in the back of the head, neck, and back, and his body had been set on fire.

Christian died after hours of torture, sustaining traumatic brain injuries and suffering injuries to her vagina, anus, and mouth due to repeated sexual assault. Before killing her, in an effort to remove DNA evidence, her attackers poured bleach down her throat and scrubbed her body with it. She was bound with curtains and strips of bedding, with her face covered with a trash bag and her body stashed in five large trash bags. These were placed inside a residential waste disposal unit and covered with sheets and garbage from Wendy's. The medical examiner said there was evidence that Christian slowly suffocated to death.

Four males and one female were arrested, charged, and convicted in the case, four of whom had multiple prior felony convictions.

murders-of-channon-christian-and-christopher-newsom-ae6c8f27-8cfa-42e9-a79c-903ab8e744d-resize-750.jpeg

What crime cases were so horrible that they have stuck in your mind years after reading about them?
    Awful crime indeed, but it seems like a fairly obscure example to pick. Was there are any particular attribute of the depraved criminals involved in this dreadful case that caused it to stick in your mind perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Ursula_Herrmann

I remember seeing posters about this case as a child when the German police was trying to solve the case and it haunted me for years. The thought of a child being buried alive in a box in the forest... truly horrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The attack on the couple in Cratloe, Co. Clare in 2004. (link) stands out for me, because it's relatively local, I've been in the carpark it happened in a number of times, and the perertrators still crop up in the news for continued scumbaggery from time to time.

A couple in their 30s in the carpark of the popular woods were attacked by the 5 guys wielding a golf club, a screw driver, a wheel brace and a shovel, and forced out of their car. They hit they woman when she refused to give one of the scumbags a kiss. The man worked as a bouncer, and had a retractable baton. The scumbags assumed he was a Garda, shouting "he's a cop, do him", and instead of this making them back off, they beat him and bundled him into the boot of his car. While locked in there, the five scumbags took turns raping the woman on the bonnet, one of the shouting "me next!". When thw woman tried to resist, they threatened to burn the car with him locked inside it. They took a break then to open the boot and beat the man again with the golf club. At some stage, he managed to escape and flag down a passing motorist.

Three of the perpetrators were 16. One was 24. The final one was just 14 when they carried out the attack. One of the 16 year olds, Thomas O'Neill, was described as the ringleader of the gang in court.

O'Neill was sentenced to 10 years, but when he got out, he shacked up with April Collins, who was previously a partner of notorious Limerick gangster and total scumbag Ger Dundon. She later gave evidence against the Dundons, resulting in their imprisonment and the collapse of the gang.

Apologies for the Sun link, but here's the happy scumbag couple, not a care in the world: https://www.thesun.ie/news/1874348/april-collins-evil-rapist-hubby-slashed-in-the-back-in-a-vicious-attack-leaving-him-fearing-for-his-safety/

In contrast, one of the others convicted of the attack and rape hanged himself in prison, leaving a note apologising for his crimes.

https://www.herald.ie/news/rapist-says-sorry-before-hanging-himself-in-cell-27998881.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭juno10353

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Brendan Smith sexually abused 75 children over four decades ruining each and every one of those childrens lives. For that he got a 4 year sentence in prison. Irrespective of his age his sentence should have ensured that he would never again walk about in society as a free man. That would have been justice, not a pathetic 4 year prison sentence for a serial paedophile.

He was sentenced for each crime but then the sentences were made concurrent. Concurrent sentences where individual
    Victims and crimes should be abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The first serial killer case I remember would be Dennis Neilson. I remember my grandmother and her neighbour talking about it and the woman next door saying it was reported in the news that the police were taking away "buckets of meat" out of his flat. That stayed with me though I think it might have been her imagination running away with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The Alan Hawe case. What an evil, narcissistic bastard.

Columbine as well. I was only a child at the time but it was really the first time that I realised what a ****ed up place the world is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The first serial killer case I remember would be Dennis Neilson. I remember my grandmother and her neighbour talking about it and the woman next door saying it was reported in the news that the police were taking away "buckets of meat" out of his flat. That stayed with me though I think it might have been her imagination running away with her.

Well, the drains were clogged so there’s a chance they were “bucketing” out any remains he hadn’t disposed of.

Could also have been the remains in the drains that they were removing. A frightful character.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Karen Buckley, murdered in Glasgow. A very sad case.

This is the one that I thought of immediately.
    Terrible. I knew her brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The attack on the couple in Cratloe, Co. Clare in 2004. (link) stands out for me, because it's relatively local, I've been in the carpark it happened in a number of times, and the perertrators still crop up in the news for continued scumbaggery from time to time.

A couple in their 30s in the carpark of the popular woods were attacked by the 5 guys wielding a golf club, a screw driver, a wheel brace and a shovel, and forced out of their car. They hit they woman when she refused to give one of the scumbags a kiss. The man worked as a bouncer, and had a retractable baton. The scumbags assumed he was a Garda, shouting "he's a cop, do him", and instead of this making them back off, they beat him and bundled him into the boot of his car. While locked in there, the five scumbags took turns raping the woman on the bonnet, one of the shouting "me next!". When thw woman tried to resist, they threatened to burn the car with him locked inside it. They took a break then to open the boot and beat the man again with the golf club. At some stage, he managed to escape and flag down a passing motorist.

Three of the perpetrators were 16. One was 24. The final one was just 14 when they carried out the attack. One of the 16 year olds, Thomas O'Neill, was described as the ringleader of the gang in court.

O'Neill was sentenced to 10 years, but when he got out, he shacked up with April Collins, who was previously a partner of notorious Limerick gangster and total scumbag Ger Dundon. She later gave evidence against the Dundons, resulting in their imprisonment and the collapse of the gang.

Apologies for the Sun link, but here's the happy scumbag couple, not a care in the world: https://www.thesun.ie/news/1874348/april-collins-evil-rapist-hubby-slashed-in-the-back-in-a-vicious-attack-leaving-him-fearing-for-his-safety/

In contrast, one of the others convicted of the attack and rape hanged himself in prison, leaving a note apologising for his crimes.

https://www.herald.ie/news/rapist-says-sorry-before-hanging-himself-in-cell-27998881.html
    Jesus christ that is horrendous

I have literally never heard of that case.

Your man looks like a proper scumbag, those rings make him look like thanos....fool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

gmisk wrote: »
    Jesus christ that is horrendous

The stuff of nightmares. That poor couple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I knew Thomas o neill back in the day and around when this happened . easily one of the most awful creatures to crawl out of the sewers of Limerick .

Not long after the rape he tried to set some one on fire .

if I read that he was dead it would not be a bad day , grim but true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Always sticks in my mind. John O'Neill was a friend of my father growing up in Mercer House. I knew him from visiting my grandparents.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/alcoholic-gets-life-sentence-for-murder-1.808125

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Two similar crimes stand out to me - both occurring around the same time in Dublin, and exposing the society we have become.

First, the murder of Pawel Kalite and Mariusz Szwajkos by David Curran in 2008 (very briefly mentioned upthread). Two Polish men who came here to work hard and contribute to the country. Features classic symptoms of what we are told is minor crime, "just" anti social behaviour etc - man goes to chipper and gets deliberately bumped into by "children" loitering outside and a minor scuffle ensues. As is often the case, the situation was inflamed by a teenage girl (who never saw the inside of a jail) who rang scumbag David Curran (just 17 at the time) who arrived and stabbed both men in the head with a screwdriver.

The murder of those two chaps received a lot of attention at the time, but I think the later (2010) killing of Lukasz Rzeszutko was in some ways almost more horrifying but it got far less attention - probably because there were no witnesses (unlike the case above). Again, a hard working Polish man struck down by scumbags loitering looking for trouble. In this case, there wasn't even a rudimentary "reason" for the attack as in the above case - Lukasz was walking to work (at about 4.30am) when three scumbags decided to "give him a few slaps" on the pretext of asking for a cigarette - they did it "for a buzz" according to one. He was so badly beaten that his workmates (who found him) didn't recognise him and part of his brain came out his nose. Despite this, only one of the attackers (just 18 at the time) was found guilty of murder, with the other two (one with 55 previous convictions, and out on bail at the time) getting away with a manslaughter conviction.

I think both cases shine a light on Irish society and what they reveal ain't pretty. Young, unemployed scumbags hanging around just looking to cause trouble, unmolested by Gardai and given a life of plenty by a ridiculously generous social welfare system - these people's behaviour and crimes are excused by the social care system and the media (and some posters on here) and they prey upon the very workers that pay their social welfare. Just look at the ages of the murderers - 17 and 18 - still kids in many respects yet so far down the road of scumbaggery that there is no turning back - yet many in NGOs and the media refer to these people as 'vulnerable'!

Curran is eligible for parole now. Absolute sham our justice system is, he shouldn't see the outside of a cell till he is a very old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Well, the drains were clogged so there’s a chance they were “bucketing” out any remains he hadn’t disposed of.

Could also have been the remains in the drains that they were removing. A frightful character.

dyno rod discovered the blocked drains after a complaint was made,the employee got suspicious of the 'meat' clinging to the walls of the drain,it was dark so he told his boss his suspicions and they agreed to return first thing the next day to inspect properly,that night nielsen went into the drain and removed the human flesh he could see,and put chicken pieces there in place of the flesh,hoping to conceal his crimes.

upon returning the next day,dyno rod discovered even more human remains further into the drain,and reported it.

nielsen was arrested when he returned home from work,and didnt even try to deny it.spilled everything,except names,he could not remember some of the people he had killed,dismembered,or burnt to ash,he had forgotten their names.

christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Even Coopey's fellow LVF colleagues disowned him in prison. They were appalled, which speaks volumes about the savagery of the attack.

Newcastle (Coopey's home town) is a seaside town like Tramore or Bray. Quite middle class with a Catholic majority that was largely unaffected by The Troubles.

I understand that Coopey was easily led and had a low IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The murder of Roy Collins was huge, and led to an crackdown on scumbag gangsters/inbreds from the moyross area.
    Also in limerick, a year earlier the same gangs shot dead Shane Geoghan in a case of mistaken identity. He had the misfortune of walking couple hundred yards home at same time in early hours as a bumbling idiot gun for hire from a family of hitmen in Dublin mistook him for a rival gang member.
    Both of these murders of innocent victims, and the bravery especially of Roy Collins father in standing up to the Dunedin’s, were the major catalyst for citywide changes for the better. But too late though for both victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Beslan. A crime so wicked it defied belief.

I was only 8 at the time and I can remember so vividly my shock at a school being targeted by terrorists, and the scale of the deaths..remember thinking more children had died than the number of children in my little school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

coinop wrote:
    Whoa, just reading about this incident now and learned that the service was being tape-recorded when that attack took took place. Was the recording ever leaked, I wonder?

The audio tape of the Darkley shootings was played on the news accompanied by pictures of the inside of the Church. That may have been why it had such a lasting effect on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The murder of James Bulger.
    The Mothercare CCTV footage is haunting. I was the same age as the boys who murdered him. I've two little boys now and I wish I hadn't read the details of the crime because they haunt me. I can't help but think of him and his final hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

spurious wrote: »
    The audio tape of the Darkley shootings was played on the news accompanied by pictures of the inside of the Church. That may have been why it had such a lasting effect on me.

The weapons used were supplied by Dominic McGlinchey described by Bernadette McAliskey as the "greatest republican"

Advertisement