Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I bet you have nightmares about Donald Trump at night.

I'm too busy laughing at his daily fùck ups to sleep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

And yet.....Trump is running scared because he knows Biden is going to trounce him.

Trump is far too over weight to run anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Why do people believe everything they see on twitter? These schmuck political accounts are making money off peoples gullibility

https://twitter.com/QuickTake/status/1131962237906591744

• Registered Users Posts: 81,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why do people believe everything they see on twitter?

/links to twitter :rolleyes:

Overheal wrote: »
    /links to twitter :rolleyes:

Yeah, an actual video disproving some political hacks lies. I can link it on youtube if that'd make you feel better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Real Clear Politics have added a new tracker to their list recently.

Whilst the National Average polling is showing Biden with a ~9 point lead over Trump[ they've now added a "[URL="https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/trump-vs-biden-top-battleground-states/"]Battleground State[/URL]" tracker , focusing just on those key states and ignoring the influence of places like California and NY on the National number.

CfFTxb9.jpg

It shows Biden with a solid lead in almost all of them , North Carolina being the closest at a 3 point lead.

6.2 point lead overall is significant.

Still 99 days to go along with whatever bizarre things Barr has up his sleeve for the October surprise , so plenty can change but right now , Trump is drowning.

Yeah, an actual video disproving some political hacks lies. I can link it on youtube if that'd make you feel better.

What was the lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,199 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Why do people believe everything they see on twitter? These schmuck political accounts are making money off peoples gullibility

https://twitter.com/QuickTake/status/1131962237906591744

That's a verified Bloomberg news account that shows a video of Trump speaking to the press. It's also over a year old. What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Real Clear Politics have added a new tracker to their list recently.

Whilst the National Average polling is showing Biden with a ~9 point lead over Trump[ they've now added a "[URL="https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/trump-vs-biden-top-battleground-states/"]Battleground State[/URL]" tracker , focusing just on those key states and ignoring the influence of places like California and NY on the National number.

CfFTxb9.jpg

It shows Biden with a solid lead in almost all of them , North Carolina being the closest at a 3 point lead.

6.2 point lead overall is significant.

Still 99 days to go along with whatever bizarre things Barr has up his sleeve for the October surprise , so plenty can change but right now , Trump is drowning.

This race is done and dusted

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trumps National Security Advisor tests positive for Covid
    President Donald Trump's national security adviser, Robert O'Brien, has tested positive for Covid-19, according to an official familiar with what happened.

O'Brien's diagnosis marks the highest-ranking Trump administration official known to have tested positive. It's unclear when O'Brien last met with Trump. Their last public appearance together was over two weeks ago during a visit to US Southern Command in Miami on July 10.

O'Brien is experiencing "mild symptoms" and is "self-isolating and working from a secure location off site," according to an unnamed statement to the press from the White House. That statement confirmed O'Brien's test results to reporters before his staff was formally informed. Several National Security Council staffers told CNN that they weren't informed that O'Brien tested positive and learned of the news from media reports.

O'Brien, one of Trump's top aides, recently returned from Europe, where he and his top deputy met with officials from the UK, France, Germany and Italy.

A senior administration official told CNN that O'Brien has been working from home since last week. A source familiar said O'Brien was last in the office last Thursday, when he abruptly left the White House. The White House statement said there is "no risk of exposure to the President or the Vice President."

White House chief economic adviser Larry Kudlow told reporters that one of O'Brien's daughters also contracted Covid-19 and that's how he believes he got it.

That's getting pretty darn close to the top now..

• Advertisement

Trumps National Security Advisor tests positive for Covid

That's getting pretty darn close to the top now..

In fairness, Trump isn't known for taking advantage of intelligent briefings. Knowing him, he mightn't have seen him for months.

That's a verified Bloomberg news account that shows a video of Trump speaking to the press. It's also over a year old. What's your point?

He seems to think the sh!t-eating grin means something something.

The point is it took me literally 1 second in my head to think of another time Trump publicly wished someone good luck who had been arrested, yet it was strangely forgotten by the "@CNN Legal Analyst". Ye're not that slow lads, definitely very disingenuous though.

When reporters ask him publicly about people in trouble, more than often he repeats the same phrase. He did the same for Rob Porter, Kim Jong Un, Stephen K. Bannon, Rex Tillerson, John Bolton, Jeff Sessions, Jim Mattis and Madeleine Westerhout - dozens of others.

At least the Washington post isn't yet out and out as politically bent as CNN is. Stick to the conspiracy theories lads, worked out well with the Russia collusion garbage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/07/23/who-does-trump-wish-well-plenty-people-including-an-accused-spouse-abuser-brutal-dictator-now-ghislaine-maxwell/

"Why on Earth would a president do that? Some conspiracy theories wagered that Trump didn’t want Maxwell to say much about his relationship with Epstein. Trump has repeatedly expressed sympathy for and/or solidarity with allies who have been charged with crimes and credited those who declined to “flip” on him. But in those cases, it was much more evident what information those closely affiliated with Trump might provide about him, especially with regard to the Russia investigation.

The more apparent and less speculative conclusion is that this is just a Trumpian stock phrase, and he doesn’t seem to have a filter for when its use is appropriate."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The point is it took me literally 1 second in my head to think of another time Trump publicly wished someone good luck who had been arrested, yet it was strangely forgotten by the "@CNN Legal Analyst". Ye're not that slow lads, definitely very disingenuous though.

When reporters ask him publicly about people in trouble, more than often he repeats the same phrase. He did the same for Rob Porter, Kim Jong Un, Stephen K. Bannon, Rex Tillerson, John Bolton, Jeff Sessions, Jim Mattis and Madeleine Westerhout - dozens of others.

At least the Washington post isn't yet out and out as politically bent as CNN is. Stick to the conspiracy theories lads, worked out well with the Russia collusion garbage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/07/23/who-does-trump-wish-well-plenty-people-including-an-accused-spouse-abuser-brutal-dictator-now-ghislaine-maxwell/

"Why on Earth would a president do that? Some conspiracy theories wagered that Trump didn’t want Maxwell to say much about his relationship with Epstein. Trump has repeatedly expressed sympathy for and/or solidarity with allies who have been charged with crimes and credited those who declined to “flip” on him. But in those cases, it was much more evident what information those closely affiliated with Trump might provide about him, especially with regard to the Russia investigation.

The more apparent and less speculative conclusion is that this is just a Trumpian stock phrase, and he doesn’t seem to have a filter for when its use is appropriate."

So he's an imbecile?

Fair enough but the twitter user did say it was his own recollection.

Not charged with federal crimes.

Overheal wrote: »
    Fair enough but the twitter user did say it was his own recollection.

You're not that thick, please don't presume I am either.

This race is done and dusted

I really don't think so - Yes Biden has a commanding lead right now , more pervasive and consistent than any that Clinton has four years ago , but there are more than a few things that could change things

Biden completely stuffs up the Debates - although Trumps continuous assaults on Bidens alleged mental frailty has actually lowered the bar significantly here. All Biden has to do is show up and not drool/howl at the moon to nail that one shut

Barrs October Surprise - Who knows what sort of stuff that Barr will produce at the most tactically astute moment , given all that we know thus far it will be a complete nothing , but then so was the Comey announcement in 2016 and look what that did.

Issues with actual voting - A combination of rushed, underfunded efforts to expand mail-in voting , staffing issues , "Election Monitors" etc. could lead to all kinds of shambolic outcomes across multiple states.

Good old fashioned voter suppression - Who knows how much of this will go on or how effective it might be . Trump is definitely seeding the earth with a view to deploying his secret police outside polling stations to "maintain the peace" or something,.

Still a long way to and the Dems will need to be at the top of their game to actually get the result they want

Complacency is their enemy.

You're not that thick, please don't presume I am either.

You think it's far more damning than it really is.

So he's an imbecile?

So what you're saying is? :rolleyes:

You think it's far more damning than it really is.

CNN make money by pandering to their audience, they're instructed to do so from top management because it's most profitable to the bottom line. No different than Fox, no different than MSNBC.

Believing what their analysts say, for instance this guy making an honest mistake, is feeding into your own confirmation bias, one look at the guys twitter feed will tell you that.

• Advertisement

CNN make money by pandering to their audience, they're instructed to do so from top management because it's most profitable to the bottom line. No different than Fox, no different than MSNBC.

Believing what their analysts say, for instance this guy making an honest mistake, is feeding into your own confirmation bias, one look at the guys twitter feed will tell you that.

Cool, so you should be similarly outraged that the Press Secretary reported as fact that Paw Patrol had been cancelled and Lego Police Stations were no longer being sold?

Cool, so you should be similarly outraged that the Press Secretary reported as fact that Paw Patrol had been cancelled and Lego Police Stations were no longer being sold?

Whataboutery - I'm allowed to point individual things out without being forced into a broader discussion on Trump and why you're so outraged.

Whataboutery - I'm allowed to point individual things out without being forced into a broader discussion on Trump and why you're so outraged.

One is a person tweeting from recollection, the other is the white house reporting fake news as fact..... Think it's a reasonable contrast to make.

One is a person tweeting from recollection, the other is the white house reporting fake news as fact..... Think it's a reasonable contrast to make.

One is a shameless political hack feeding your confirmation bias and the other ( Press sec statement ) is something I never brought up nor defended, yet you're trying to use it to discredit my original point somehow :confused:.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

What is shows is the impact of Trumps *incredibly* limited Vocabulary and inability to ad-lib successfully - His lack of foundational knowledge means that when asked a question like the Maxwell one , he flounders and blurts out a nonsense platitude in place of being able to speak with any degree of knowledge or authority.

His inability to use a broader set of terminology to differentiate different meanings and interpretations mean that he uses the same language for everything so people assume he means the same thing each time.

"I wish them well" - Used when he's asked to give an opinion about a situation that a named individual finds themselves in. Because he doesn't have enough information to actually answer the question he says this , which leaves him open to attack.

"We're looking at that very closely and you'll see something really soon" - Used when asked to comment on a policy or current event. Again used because he either didn't understand the question or doesn't know enough/anything to give an actual answer.

"Fake News" , "Hoax" - Used to describe anything he disagrees with again leading to confusion and further opprobrium when he's called out for saying that about something that is neither fake nor a hoax. See his calling of the Democrat opposition to his Covid response as "their new Hoax". What he meant was that their criticism was unfair and unwarranted but he used "hoax" because his brain doesn't work fast enough so now everyone accuses him of calling the whole pandemic a hoax.

All these things are self-inflicted wounds driven by his lack of knowledge and vocabulary.

So your point is that it's okay for him to wish someone that's charged with child sex trafficking well because it's his "stock phrase" when asked about anyone else. Gotta love the ridiculous lengths his supporters will go to excuse his behaviour. And don't try the "i'm not a supporter" spiel other posters come out with despite defending him all the time.

So your point is that it's okay for him to wish someone that's charged with child sex trafficking well because it's his "stock answer" when asked about anyone else. Gotta love the ridiculous lengths his supporters will go to excuse his behaviour. And don't try the "i'm not a supporter" spiel other posters come out with despite defending him all the time.

Can you link to where I said that? Good man. My point is that CNN hack is fully aware of what that WaPo article said but doesn't care - spin spin spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

Barrs October Surprise - Who knows what sort of stuff that Barr will produce at the most tactically astute moment , given all that we know thus far it will be a complete nothing , but then so was the Comey announcement in 2016 and look what that did.

I've never fully bought into the whole Hillary e-mail thing as being a pivotal reason for her loss. It would be ridiculous for Trump voters to have criticised it when their own man was already a walking pincushion of scandal by the time his presidential campaign was underway.

And for self-proclaimed would-be Hillary voters, to give the e-mail scandal as the reason for either not voting at all, or voting for someone else (be it Trump or otherwise) seems mad. To the scandal-averse, Trump would be, you'd think, out of the equation, and to not vote for Hillary and help allow Trump in that way would be to let someone they would surely think was much worse into the job instead.

In actual fact, I think the e-mail scandal was really just used as a cover for a lot of people to say, "I just find Hillary Clinton to be deeply unlikable, disingenuous, a Washinton insider, overly safe, running on identity politics, no new ideas, no concern for middle America, just wants power, feels entitled to the job like it's her turn." Probably harder to voice all that in a single soundbyte, though.

Can you link to where I said that? Good man. My point is that CNN hack is fully aware of what that WaPo article said but doesn't care - spin spin spin.

The WaPo article is an opinion piece, why would he or anyone care about it? The fact is that Trump has regularly wished people that have been charged with crimes well so there's no need to "spin" anything.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    I've never fully bought into the whole Hillary e-mail thing as being a pivotal reason for her loss. It would be ridiculous for Trump voters to have criticised it when their own man was already a walking pincushion of scandal by the time his presidential campaign was underway.

And for self-proclaimed would-be Hillary voters, to give the e-mail scandal as the reason for either not voting at all, or voting for someone else (be it Trump or otherwise) seems mad. To the scandal-averse, Trump would be, you'd think, out of the equation, and to not vote for Hillary and help allow Trump in that way would be to let someone they would surely think was much worse into the job instead.

In actual fact, I think the e-mail scandal was really just used as a cover for a lot of people to say, "I just find Hillary Clinton to be deeply unlikable, disingenuous, a Washinton insider, overly safe, running on identity politics, no new ideas, no concern for middle America, just wants power, feels entitled to the job like it's her turn." Probably harder to voice all that in a single soundbyte, though.

I think the reason it impacted the undecided voters was that the Clinton email thing had been flogged to death in the media forever so when Comey came out and said "we might have found something , we're going to take a look" it resonated , they thought that maybe the smoking gun had finally been found. It hadn't of course , but the impact was there.

Remember , Trump won the election by 75,000 votes - Comey saying what he said only a few days before the Election definitely had an impact.

I'm not sure that whatever manufactured dirt that Barr "finds" would have the same impact on Biden as it did on Clinton as he's not as actively disliked by most people.

Clinton wasn't particularly well liked even among her own supporters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement