Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you believe in God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There's no God, there's just manipulative cnuts.
    Afterlife, spirit, magic, psychic powers, crystal energy all nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I don't know the answer to that.

Bad, and sometimes really awful, things happen to those who do and don't pray.

Awful things happened to Jesus as well and I happen to believe he is God!

It's almost as if he doesn't exist at all so isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

Orthodox Christian, YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No I don't it does not make sense to me praying is just like talking to yourself. But I would not knock other people who believe in God. Especially if it makes them act decently to people, gives them inner peace and strength.
    Some people need this safety net in times of need.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I know there is a God and an after life. I was watching a movie some time back and it it a leftist Portuguese intellectual was saying there is no after life and if there were, the eternity of it would be absolute hell. This is presumptuous. It exhibits a limited imagination. Even in this life, eternity is all around us in the form of time and space. God, who knows ever hair on every head, is our architect and as such the eternity which awaits the righteous is tailor made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Especially if it makes them act decently to people,.

Surely if they need the fear of god to be nice to people, they arent nice people and are just being nice so god doesnt smite them?

I know there is a God and an after life.

Ah here, no you dont. That statement implies you can prove it.

You belive there is a god and afterlife, you dont and cant know there is.

I God, who knows ever hair on every head, is our architect and as such the eternity which awaits the righteous is tailor made.

and yet manages to get so much of it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

My brother is real religious and I asked him what to people do all day in heaven , he replied "you pray and sing all day " , I told him I'd rather go to hell

I know there is a God and an after life. I was watching a movie some time back and it it a leftist Portuguese intellectual was saying there is no after life and if there were, the eternity of it would be absolute hell. This is presumptuous. It exhibits a limited imagination. Even in this life, eternity is all around us in the form of time and space. God, who knows ever hair on every head, is our architect and as such the eternity which awaits the righteous is tailor made.

Bless you Sister, may all your sons be bishops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I think there might be a creator, but he made this a long time ago and has since moved on to other projects. He will probably come back to this someday and decide whether to update it or scrap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

stratowide wrote: »
    It's almost as if he doesn't exist at all so isn't it.

Well Jesus did say "My God, my God why have you forsaken me". But then when you look a bit deeper he was quoting an amazing Jewish prayer (psalm 21). A prayer starting in despair which turned into great hope.

That's why reading about history and the role of prayer in it is so interesting. Genuine people, with genuine fears and genuine faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I used to, not anymore. Absolutely no issue with anyone else believing in God. They can believe what they want.

Ah here..You have to on the whacky baccy there chief.

Surely if they need the fear of god to be nice to people, they arent nice people and are just being nice so god doesnt smite them?

That is one of looking at it the negative way.
    But I don't know if you follow GAA - but there is a manager for tyrone called Micky Harte he is very religious.
    His faith has kept him sane in the face of tragedy when his daughter was murdered.

https://extra.ie/2018/03/30/news/real-life/mickey-harte-documentary-death-daughter

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/family-faith-and-football-the-mickey-harte-interview-1.3369507

If that brings a guy solace what is the harm in it?
    I might not believe in it myself nor need it - but I would not knock it outright just because I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Graces7 wrote: »
    Totally, unequivocally and with all my heart, soul and every part of my being.

why do you believe in god? what proof have you seen to believe in god?

But I don't know if you follow GAA - but there is a manager for tyrone called Micky Harte he is very religious.
    His faith has kept him sane in the face of tragedy when his daughter was murdered.

I dont follow GAA but I do remember him giving a character reference to someone convicted of a sexual crime. Youd think his religion would get him to show sympathy with a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The remarkable thing about the god debate is absolute ignorance and hubris that you generally see from both sides...

Religion has its flaws alright and has very questionable beliefs but nature and humans abhor a vacuum. Whether it’s atheism or consumerism or capitalism, religion will be replaced with individualistic morals and ethics eventually. My parents were religious. I’m not overly religious and my children prob won’t be that religious. In 100 years whatever morals I have will of been dlluted into whatever bullsh*t shallow ethos the society of that generation follows.

People really can’t see beyond their own faces. “I’m atheist and I’m a good person”. What does even mean? It’s so short sighted it’s not funny. How will
    Help your future generations? How do they practise your principles? We need constant reminders because humans are fickle and shallow and selfish , self absorbed walking narcissists. Just different individual levels of selfishness.

Organised religions or beliefs (consumerism, laws, politics, financial systems) create order and mould our morals/ethics. The world can go on without religion but one thing religion does have at its core (even if it’s not always followed) is good moral guidelines. Without religion and getting more and more shallow with capitalism and consumerism that’s where the future generations get their junk values.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

So, if people don't commit murder, its just because its illegal and they'll go to jail.

Actually, my take on religion and God is that the emphasis is on doing the right thing, by yourself and everyone else. Rather than, don't do the wrong thing or you'll get yours!

Stephen Hawkins doesn't believe in God, but he says that if God exists, it must be somehow outside of our whole existence and by the Laws of Nature couldn't intervene here even if he wanted to. I think :o :pac:. Its a hard read!

Anyway, despite the lack of real evidence, I like to believe there is a benevolent Creator, and that we'll get to meet him and our dead relatives later.

I remember reading that Carl Sagan said something along the lines of "WE are here to appreciate the beauty of the cosmos". Imagine if we are the ONLY ones in all the Universe to do that, that thought alone ought to be enough to get us to forget silly little differences. Maybe through science and discovery, that's where were headed.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why do you believe in god? what proof have you seen to believe in god?

Youre not allowed to ask or question that, we've already been down his road.

• Advertisement

So, if people don't commit murder, its just because its illegal and they'll go to jail.

No, people can be good. Thats the point. They dont need religion to tell them to be.

Groups in the community can do all the good things they need to do without being under the umbrella of the church. If anything, having the added expense of a church to run only takes away from good being done.

I dont follow GAA but I do remember him giving a character reference to someone convicted of a sexual crime. Youd think his religion would get him to show sympathy with a victim.

See again - that is two negatives you are going for.
    Harte may have thought he was being compassionate another advantage of religion if it is sincere.
    Obviously it is clear you have your own agenda here nothing positive about religion etc. Which is a bit hyperbolic.
    Open your eyes a bit more and be less narrow in your thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Youre not allowed to ask or question that, we've already been down his road.

have we? has grace been asked this already? im just curious as to why people believe in god when there seems to be zero evidence of his/her existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

No, people can be good. Thats the point. They dont need religion to tell them to be.

Groups in the community can do all the good things they need to do without being under the umbrella of the church. If anything, having the added expense of a church to run only takes away from good being done.

But then surely they don't need laws to tell them either.

I suppose its a kind of circular argument, and such is the nature of 'belief' , I actually think we can both be right, if that makes any sense.

I suppose its a kind of circular argument, and such is the nature of 'belief' , I actually think we can both be right, if that makes any sense.

Personally I dont need the laws to tell me, no.

I dont litter and consider people who do, to be scumbags. Theres no excuse for it.My kids are told the same and know not to either. This was instilled in me from my parents. Thats where I got my morals, not from the church.

I could drive down quiet roads throwing my rubbish out the window without any fear of being caught, but I dont. Again, I'm not a scumbag. Same as growing up with a group of friends that didnt spend out time hassling other people and causing trouble.

The same is applied to all the other aspect of my day to day life , all the little things that add up to me generally going about my life not contributing to making someone elses life ****ty as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There's probably as many people of faith disrespecting laws as non religious. Look at the travellers for one. It all depends on the person

See again - that is two negatives you are going for.
    Harte may have thought he was being compassionate another advantage of religion if it is sincere.
    Obviously it is clear you have your own agenda here nothing positive about religion etc. Which is a bit hyperbolic.
    Open your eyes a bit more and be less narrow in your thinking.

I see religion as a pointless exercise that doesnt add anything that cant be done without it and gives people excuses to act badly but hide behind their religion and if hey do ill say it.

Theres a clear line in a sexual assault case of who deserves compassion and if your religion is clouding that then something is wrong with it. Much like the people in Kerry, was it, lining up to shake the guys hand a few years back.

Personally I dont need the laws to tell me, no.

I dont litter and consider people who do, to be scumbags. Theres no excuse for it.My kids are told the same and know not to either. This was instilled in me from my parents. Thats where I got my morals, not from the church.

I could drive down quiet roads throwing my rubbish out the window without any fear of being caught, but I dont. Again, I'm not a scumbag. Same as growing up with a group of friends that didnt spend out time hassling other people and causing trouble.

The same is applied to all the other aspect of my day to day life , all the little things that add up to me generally going about my life not contributing to making someone elses life ****ty as much as possible.

Would you drink drive if the law was not there?
    Would you use the phone while driving if the law was not there?

Also where did your parents get thier morals from and thier parents before them and so on?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    have we? has grace been asked this already? im just curious as to why people believe in god when there seems to be zero evidence of his/her existence.

"If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people"

There is no evidence.You wont get a coherent answer.

Mumbo jumbo is all you will get.
    Feelings this faith that ,quotes from works of fiction.

But evidence/proof..not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Would you drink drive if the law was not there?
    Would you use the phone while driving if the law was not there?

Also where did your parents get thier morals from and thier parents before them and so on?

I wouldn't but thats just me, its to do with the individual not their religious beliefs

One of my parents was very religious and the other not so much. Guess which one was abusing us?

Advertisement