Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

jmayo wrote: »
    Did I ever say that farming is perfect or that there does need to be improvements ?
    Pesticides/insecticides are a problem, and that all comes from the issue of trying to attain high yields and cheap prices.

Ultimately people are paying too little for their food.
    See how food prices have not increased relative to production costs over time.

And did I ever deny that there is climate change ?

Don't try and come the smart**se trying to attribute things to me that I never said or wrote.

If anything farmers and people of a farming background are some of those most tuned into how climate and weather patterns have already changed over the decades.
    The difference between when I was a child in the 70s and today is huge in terms of weather patterns and overall climate.

But no according to some the only ones that know about that are some scientists and the environmentalist elite ar**holes. :rolleyes:

No you didn't deny climate change but turn about is fair play as you attributed allot to my comment that i never actually said. You seem to be waiting for a comment on farmers so you could explode, from what you wrote it came across as putting them on a pedestal.

You don't see the irony in saying that your view point as farming stock is more important than environmentalist and scientists?

As per my original point we collectively as a society need to discuss it and all options have to be on the table and no sacred cows. That is the reality of what we need to face up to as a society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

This stuff is being forced down peoples throats. Yet nobody knows and if you disagree your like a halocaust denier. People have the right to question the science. I for one dont believe alot of it. Without the usa and china and africa not being on board it doesn't really matter much anyway. Alot of countries are buying credits to get around their targets anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This stuff is being forced down peoples throats. Yet nobody knows and if you disagree your like a halocaust denier. People have the right to question the science. I for one dont believe alot of it. Without the usa and china and africa not being on board it doesn't really matter much anyway. Alot of countries are buying credits to get around their targets anyway

Well most people in these threads dont believe the science like you so youre in good company.
    Also nothing is being forced down anyones throats. We are consuming more than ever! We are doing nothing meaningful for the climate or environment problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Solution really is to end humanity. We're basically a parasite of a race who only cause suffering to others in the chase for a few crumbs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well most people in these threads dont believe the science like you so youre in good company.
    Also nothing is being forced down anyones throats. We are consuming more than ever! We are doing nothing meaningful for the climate or environment problems.

This protest isn’t “doing anything meaningful” for climate or environment either.

Thisna bunch of people detached from the real world who are out making a nuisance of themselves so they can go home and feel smug. They will post on their iPhones, have their heating on, travel in cars and on airplanes, go on holidays. They aren’t willing to live the life they are calling others to endure. They don’t even stick to any principles, many photographed ordering food in McDonalds, supporting a company who drive factory farming, and who give away more cheap tat toys than any other company globally. Plenty of us are actually doing far more for the environment than these conmen can dream of.

And again with accusing people of being science deniers just because they don’t agree with the extremist reactions this group and others want.

• Advertisement

Jesus Brian how many people do you know in this movement to know all of them do these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

P_1 wrote: »
    Solution really is to end humanity. We're basically a parasite of a race who only cause suffering to others in the chase for a few crumbs

I would agree, Planet Earth would probably fare out better without us ok.

Jesus Brian how many people do you know in this movement to know all of them do these things?

I’m confident I’m not far off the mark with most of them.

Or is making generalised statements only for you as you tarnish anyone who disagrees as a science denier.

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m confident I’m not far off the mark with most of them.

Or is making generalised statements only for you as you tarnish anyone who disagrees as a science denier.

You forgot the 2 yoga holidays in Bali a year. I doubt a lot of them are hardcore either but they just want the government and people to make at least some changes. We can't carry on as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

You forgot the 2 yoga holidays in Bali a year. I doubt a lot of them are hardcore either but they just want the government and people to make at least some changes. We can't carry on as is

Yeah evil Ireland with its 0.11% emissions, we need to stop immediately :rolleyes: This is nothing but pissing in to the wind until US, India, Africa and Asia get on board and nothing or nobody will convince me otherwise. Ireland flagellating its people with carbon taxes and going back to the horse and cart is going to save the world huzzah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yeah evil Ireland with its 0.11% emissions, we need to stop immediately This is nothing but pissing in to the wind until US, India, Africa and Asia get on board and nothing or nobody will convince me otherwise. Ireland flagellating its people with carbon taxes and going back to the horse and cart is going to save the world huzzah

We re not going back to the horse and cart, we re ploughing on, it ll be interesting to see what green tech comes from all this

You forgot the 2 yoga holidays in Bali a year. I doubt a lot of them are hardcore either but they just want the government and people to make at least some changes. We can't carry on as is.

The government are making changes, not always the best ones but change is happening.

That lot just want to be out banging a drum and “sticking it to the man” as they see it in their heads.

Only incremental change is palatable in developed countries so that is all that will happen. May not be enough but that’s it.

The climate has already changed significantly and will continue to change significantly, we will somewhat mitigate our impact but not fully unless there is some amazing technological breakthrough.

Yeah evil Ireland with its 0.11% emissions, we need to stop immediately :rolleyes: This is nothing but pissing in to the wind until US, India, Africa and Asia get on board and nothing or nobody will convince me otherwise. Ireland flagellating its people with carbon taxes and going back to the horse and cart is going to save the world huzzah

Does the continuing loss of biodiversity and the pollution of our waterways and the increasing reliance on cars in ireland not bother you? Or the fact we import millions of tonnes of maize and soy from south america every year to feed irish cattle of which most of is exported as beef and dairy? That sounds like madness to me and like we are destroying whats left of the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Does the continuing loss of biodiversity and the pollution of our waterways and the increasing reliance on cars in ireland not bother you?

Nope - pollution of rivers does, reliance on cars doesn’t. Times change, more job creation means more cars on the road. We spent long enough in a ****ing recession not to be anything but positive about that.
    Or the fact we import millions of tonnes of maize and soy from south america every year to feed irish cattle of which most of is exported as beef and dairy? That sounds like madness to me and like we are destroying whats left of the island.

Nope again but literally couldn’t care less about this one - are you saying import/export is evil? How do you think products get in and out of this country? And I’m not a vegan so couldn’t care what they are fed on as long as they taste good.

Nope - pollution of rivers does, reliance on cars doesn’t. Times change, more job creation means more cars on the road. We spent long enough in a ****ing recession not to be anything but positive about that.

Nope again but literally couldn’t care less about this one - are you saying import/export is evil? How do you think products get in and out of this country? And I’m not a vegan so couldn’t care what they are fed on as long as they taste good.

ok so you don't care about any of this stuff I don't even know why you're posting here.

Does the continuing loss of biodiversity and the pollution of our waterways and the increasing reliance on cars in ireland not bother you? Or the fact we import millions of tonnes of maize and soy from south america every year to feed irish cattle of which most of is exported as beef and dairy? That sounds like madness to me and like we are destroying whats left of the island.

Intensive farming is a terrible thing, I say that as someone involved in farming all my life, I work with farmers in my job. .

I would support a limiting stocking rate on land and an end to cages and permanently housed animals. This would reduce pollution, unnecessary production and increase animal welfare.
    It would increase meat and animal product prices to better reflect their intrinsic value and move us away from the notion that meat and animal products are cheap commodities.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fecking nightmare trying to get home random roads blocked around merrion square traffic at a standstill pumping out carbon into the air...had to walk to get my second bus in the lashing rain.
    This is not the way to get people on side.

_Brian wrote: »
    Intensive farming is a terrible thing, I say that as someone involved in farming all my life, I work with farmers in my job. .

I would support a limiting stocking rate on land and an end to cages and permanently housed animals. This would reduce pollution, unnecessary production and increase animal welfare.
    It would increase meat and animal product prices to better reflect their intrinsic value and move us away from the notion that meat and animal products are cheap commodities.

You have the IFA guy on the radio saying we produce the best beef the cleanest way in the world, and that Mersucor would mean destruction of the rainforests. Meanwhile importing millions of tonnes of soy from land that used to be said rainforests. What the f*ck like. It seems to me we have way way too many animals on this island if we can't even grow the food to feed them all. But people on these boards just seem to want to keep growing the industry and producing more and more.
    If people just stopped expecting to eat meat 3 times a day I'm sure everyone would pay a bit more. Or maybe it's because we produce so much of it that it's so cheap. Limit production, and put land to other uses that would encourage biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

These dopes were outside Penneys today having a fake fashion show; then they entered the shop as protest while the not-fit-to-wipe Lugs Branigan's boots Garda looked on.

vriesmays wrote: »
    These dopes were outside Penneys today having a fake fashion show; then they entered the shop as protest while the not-fit-to-wipe Lugs Branigan's boots Garda looked on.

So you think the Garda should have beaten the sh*t out of them for demonstrating? Is that the kind of society you want to live in, really?
    The fashion industry is I think the 2nd most polluting industry in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I would guess most on this thread would want to see the Garda beat the crap of them after invading that shop.

So you think the Garda should have beaten the sh*t out of them for demonstrating? Is that the kind of society you want to live in, really? The fashion industry is I think the 2nd most polluting industry in the world.

Yup, some would rather an authoritarian society

vriesmays wrote: »
    I would guess most on this thread would want to see the Garda beat the crap of them after invading that shop.

So you're cool with fast fashion and the damage it does to the environment?
    Do you think people protesting against things in Ireland should be beaten up by the police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Saviours of the planet now taking issue with Penny's. Seems the organisers are liars. One of whom was on the Morning Ireland show on Monday claiming they were not going to disrupt the public.

So you're cool with fast fashion and the damage it does to the environment? Do you think people protesting against things in Ireland should be beaten up by the police?

To be fair, most of us are having a serious negative effect on the planet via clothing, it's gonna be extremely complicated to unravel this one, but fast fashion certainly isn't helping

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    To be fair, most of us are having a serious negative effect on the planet via clothing, it's gonna be extremely complicated to unravel this one, but fast fashion certainly isn't helping
    Women are wearing far too many clothes anyway .

Saviours of the planet now taking issue with Penny's. Seems the organisers are liars. One of whom was on the Morning Ireland show on Monday claiming they were not going to disrupt the public.

People should have an issue with Penney's, it's grotesque the amount of crap they produce, that no one really needs. Poor old billionaire polluting Penney's having to put up with a few kids protesting. Yeah get the police to smash up their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Fast fashion my ar&e, one of the few stores that offer exceptional value and quality combined. I bought a reefer jacket in Penney's five years ago and it'll last for multiples of that. What a shower of dickheads ! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

So you're cool with fast fashion and the damage it does to the environment?
    Do you think people protesting against things in Ireland should be beaten up by the police?

I have no issues with people legitimately protesting outside Penneys but the second they go inside a private business then the cops need to go in hard. If the line isn't firmly established now then they'll take it as a green light to force their way into offices, public buildings, even people's homes.

• Advertisement

railer201 wrote: »
    Fast fashion my ar&e, one of the few stores that offer exceptional value and quality combined. I bought a reefer jacket in Penney's five years ago and it'll last for multiples of that. What a shower of dickheads ! :rolleyes:

I don't think you are their target customer in that case

Advertisement