Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Births Ireland

Options
  • 30-11-2020 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm a midwife In Ireland and I'm currently four weeks pregnant. I know it's still very very early days but I'm super keen to have a home birth but honestly have no idea how to go about doing it! Even though I'm a midwife, i work in a hospital so have no dealings with homebirths.
    I hope to go for hse public homebirths (the free option) as private is somewhat out of our budget but I wouldn't consider it if public isn't an option. I know that I should be eligible for homebirths from a health point of view as I'm aware if the policies. I know who my nearest midwife is as well.

For anyone who has done it in Ireland before, how did you go about organising it? Did you book to the hospital first? Contact the midwife first etc?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

A quick Google search shows the below from Citizens Advice with instructions on how to apply via your local health center.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/before_your_baby_is_born/home_birth.html#startcontent

Best of luck. X

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rosie087

Homebirths are available through the Domino scheme although I'm not sure if Domino is available everywhere. Places on the domino scheme are limited so if you're interested in that you should look into it and try and get a spot. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

rosie087 wrote: »
    Homebirths are available through the Domino scheme although I'm not sure if Domino is available everywhere. Places on the domino scheme are limited so if you're interested in that you should look into it and try and get a spot. Best of luck!

Not every domino scheme does home birth. The Cork one doesn’t. There is a separate home birth scheme in Cork and Kerry though. https://www.corkandkerryhomebirth.com/home-birth-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ca_va

Apefin96 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a midwife In Ireland and I'm currently four weeks pregnant. I know it's still very very early days but I'm super keen to have a home birth but honestly have no idea how to go about doing it! Even though I'm a midwife, i work in a hospital so have no dealings with homebirths.
    I hope to go for hse public homebirths (the free option) as private is somewhat out of our budget but I wouldn't consider it if public isn't an option. I know that I should be eligible for homebirths from a health point of view as I'm aware if the policies. I know who my nearest midwife is as well.

For anyone who has done it in Ireland before, how did you go about organising it? Did you book to the hospital first? Contact the midwife first etc?

TIA

I had a homebirth on my first and hope to again with this baby. It was a great experience. Your first step is to get your midwife booked in. If there is a self employed community midwife (SCEM) in your area get in touch with them and they'll help you from there. You'll do combined care with a hospital so you'll also need to register there as normal. As noted above, some hospitals offer homebirth through their Domino schemes as well, but the SCEM option is great as it is the same midwife the whole way through and your antenatal visits are at home.

Happy to answer any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 weirdcatlady

Ca_va wrote: »
    I had a homebirth on my first and hope to again with this baby. It was a great experience. Your first step is to get your midwife booked in. If there is a self employed community midwife (SCEM) in your area get in touch with them and they'll help you from there. You'll do combined care with a hospital so you'll also need to register there as normal. As noted above, some hospitals offer homebirth through their Domino schemes as well, but the SCEM option is great as it is the same midwife the whole way through and your antenatal visits are at home.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Hi ca_va,

Where did you find the SCEM? Is if off the HSE website?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

Have you no friends that are midwives
    That can do the birth for you. I know some one who trained in uk
    And now teaches in ireland. She says the standard of midwives is very poor in ireland
    In London they did home births all the time or hospital births with no doctors involved
    In uk the first thing they teach is moving the baby around and removing the cord if it's stuck around the baby's neck.

No im afraid not. I know ireland seems to be very restricted on options compared to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Did you get sorted with the home birth arrangements? O have my SECM booked, just doing the HSE application forms now.

Hi ca_va,

Where did you find the SCEM? Is if off the HSE website?

Yes, I just went through the list on the website. Demand has increased massively in the last year so it has become harder so secure one from that relatively small list!

Did you get sorted with the home birth arrangements? O have my SECM booked, just doing the HSE application forms now.

Thats great catrionanic, best of luck with it! I have my midwife booked as well, I'm so glad she was available.

• Advertisement

No didn't get sorted in the end, the 3 closest to be are unavailable, I've tried private midwives too with no joy!

Advertisement