Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House name

• 14-11-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks,

Trying to search for a listed house in the 1901/1911 census. I’d rather not post the name if that’s ok.

Basically we know who built it in 1800s and it has the current name on it. We also know people that lived in it for the last number of years. Found a head stone with names and “of X house” on it.

But it seems impossible to find it on either census. Where it is kind of borders with 3 towns lands and I’ve tried all three but it doesn’t come up.

As I said the house is listed, it’s well known around the area and it’s had the same name on it since it’s been built.

Any one got any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you looked at the buildings descriptions on the censuses?
    If it is a large house it should stick out compared to other buildings in the area.

If you want to PM me the name of the house, I can check newspapers for mentions of the occupants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

When the Valuation Office reopens, you could check the occupants in 1901 and 1911 and then look them up by name on the census.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thanks to both.

Got some very valuable information

Advertisement