Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

War / Army Records

• 11-11-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a couple of family members who have served time in wars over the years, for the British Army mainly.
    I have been able to get some good details from the site Fold3 but my question is should I be looking at other sites also? Or would Fold3 be the Go To site for these documents.

I have a GG Grandfather who served in the Crimean War and would like to learn more truth to see if it matches some "stories" I have been told.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Getting a ‘service number’ is critical and then finding the regiment.

It’s never a ‘one stop shop’ for most individuals’ records – some regiments have their own records, some are in the Nat. Archives at Kew and some were destroyed during WW2/Blitz.

In Kew the records are spread across several sectors, e.g. Pay and pensions in one bank of files, transfers in another, etc. Dates also are a factor, not all are in Kew.

Some regiments have their own histories, written by retired officers, often very good for background info. Also worth looking at are the ‘regimental day books’ which (when available) are a goldmine of info on battles/killed in action, etc.

Find my Past has free access to military records until tomorrow (12th) morning at 10.

I’ve done some research in Kew and it is one area where – should I have to do similar again – I’d hire a pro. The records there are not intuitive but a pro with Kew experience would save you days of work. Kew probably is closed now due to Covid……..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You definitely want to be using Ancestry as well as the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site (if any of them died).

Soldiers wills on our own NAI genealogy site.

I would not expect much about the Crimea to be online.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

pinkypinky wrote: »
    You definitely want to be using Ancestry as well as the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site (if any of them died).

Soldiers wills on our own NAI genealogy site.

I would not expect much about the Crimea to be online.
    Thanks, I have actually managed to find a large folder on my great-grandfather who served in Crimea but on my grandfather who served in WW1 I have only found 1 or 2 documents (I'm only sure he served as I found his medals)
    I'll do some more digging on the above suggestions thanks

Advertisement