Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due March 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

ucsie wrote: »
    How is everyone doing? I'm 13w today, feeling much better since last week, morning sickness almost gone and feeling much more energetic and less tired.

I'm just wondering, when do people normally tell work? In normal circumstances, I guess I'd have to tell them before the bump was too obvious, but with working from home (with no end for now), nobody is going to see anything.
    So I'm not sure when I should tell my manager, maybe at around 16 weeks?

I was back in the office full time until a couple of weeks ago so I told my boss the week before my booking appointment, so I didn't have to take a half day to go to it. If I had been at home all the time i don't think i would have bothered for another few weeks to be honest!!

How is everyone doing otherwise? I'm 15 weeks tomorrow, back in the Coombe next week for my first appointment with the pre-term clinic. My daughter was born at 34+5 so looking like lots of extra appointments for me

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

Any bumps yet? I think that I have a very obvious one, but maybe it just looks like I've put some weight on for people other than me or my partner.

I was a bit down last weekend with the new restrictions in Dublin, as I'm now feeling very good so I was looking forward to joining some prenatal pilates/yoga, going out for dinner now that I'm back to eating normal food... I'm also getting a bit sick of working from home and work has confirmed we are not going back until at least January, so now I'm wondering if I'll be going back at all!

The good news is that we got the harmony test results back (after a redraw, so a long wait) this week and it's all good. And it's a girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I've a noticeable one now. The wife not so much.

We were hoping to get away for a couple of nights tomorrow and the day after. The wife badly needs a break. Since the lockdown in March she's been outside of the county once for a trip down to Waterford. And since the restrictions have eased she's done very little of the extra things we are allowed to do. We went to one restaurant and we've hardly met up with people at all. From what I can see, even though restrictions have eased people are still very much staying in their own pods. We'd booked the couple of nights away a while ago and thought about cancelling when the restrictions came in but in the end said feck it we'll ignore the dublin lockdown and go anyway. In terms of risk, we're at the bottom of the spectrum. Both working from home and seeing no-one. But sadly, the hotel cancelled the booking because they saw the Dublin address.

It's a bit of a sucker punch to be honest. I'm tempted to take a look at the hotels in the city centre for a break, but I suspect all we'll end up doing is watching netflix in the room and eating rubbish. Doesn't sound like a great break. For the break we'd organised a tasting menu and looked up a walking trail to do. Or I might just look at hotels outside of the county and put down a fake address.

That's very annoying blue note. If you are both working from home and barely meeting anyone, you are safer guests that someone from another county who is out an about every day!

I was all for following the lockdown rules, but since last week I just decided that I don't care anymore, I'm just going to apply common sense to what I do. Which right now is nothing anyway! I think if we had something planned right now I would go, or I would at least try to convince my partner to go.

That’s so hard blue note, especially as you’re staying at home all the time anyway. One thing about city centre hotels is they have such low occupancy at the moment you can get great rates in fancy places!! Plus it’s nice to get out of your own house for a while so that alone for a night might just be worth it.

It’s so frustrating when you see people blatantly ignoring the rules and just doing whatever they feel like. It’s one thing using common sense and being reasonable but so many people are just ignoring everything.

I have a definite belly which isn’t extra weight but it isn’t quite a bump yet either 😂

• Advertisement

BOB2017 wrote: »
    It’s so frustrating when you see people blatantly ignoring the rules and just doing whatever they feel like. It’s one thing using common sense and being reasonable but so many people are just ignoring everything.

Exactly, it's like the extra restrictions are mainly affecting people who are already being reasonable, like blue note and wife not being able to have the break they were looking forward to, while the people who've been doing what they want until now with their parties, etc... will just continue doing the same.

How was the preterm clinic, bob2017? After one preterm baby, is it likely for the next one(s) to also be preterm?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mkelly1989

Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.herfamily.ie/pregnancy/plans-considered-hse-let-partners-attend-maternity-appointments-virtually-380964

This is the best they can do for expectant parents? A zoom call. It baffles me how my husband can't come to scans or consultant appointments with me in the hospital but if we wanted to meet the doctor in the pub then thats ok?

Had my virtual consultation with my consultant today with went fine, would have rathered a face to face but at least its something. She mentioned about genetic screening to me as something to consider for peace of mind but I'm just not sure about it....has anyone else decided to do it?

ucsie wrote: »
    How was the preterm clinic, bob2017? After one preterm baby, is it likely for the next one(s) to also be preterm?

It went fine thanks ucsie - they told me that because I delivered at 34 weeks last time there’s more of a risk of going earlier than that this time. The appointment today they measured my cervix and said the length is within normal range, slightly below average but good for now. Back in 12 weeks to measure it again to see if staying with normal so fingers crossed!!!

Mkelly1989 wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.herfamily.ie/pregnancy/plans-considered-hse-let-partners-attend-maternity-appointments-virtually-380964

This is the best they can do for expectant parents? A zoom call. It baffles me how my husband can't come to scans or consultant appointments with me in the hospital but if we wanted to meet the doctor in the pub then thats ok?

Had my virtual consultation with my consultant today with went fine, would have rathered a face to face but at least its something. She mentioned about genetic screening to me as something to consider for peace of mind but I'm just not sure about it....has anyone else decided to do it?

The zoom call... give me strength what good is that. You need a hand to hold not to have to hold up your phone, it pi$$ed me off no end to hear that’s all they’re planning.

I didn’t do any of the genetic screening/harmony test etc last time and won’t this time, we figured if there’s something to deal with we’ll deal with it when we have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Buttercup710

BOB2017 wrote: »
    The zoom call... give me strength what good is that. You need a hand to hold not to have to hold up your phone, it pi$$ed me off no end to hear that’s all they’re planning.

I didn’t do any of the genetic screening/harmony test etc last time and won’t this time, we figured if there’s something to deal with we’ll deal with it when we have to.

It is very disappointing altogether... The implications could be so detrimental to mental health etc, my heart breaks for anyone going through any difficulty during pregnancy at these times, things are hard enough.
    We aren't doing any screening or testing either just not for us.

• Advertisement

We did the harmony test. If something is wrong, I rather know as soon as possible to prepare for it or make any difficult decisions. But I think its a very personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lauras91

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 weeks today. I'm in the Rotunda on the domino scheme - just wondering about appointments. I had my dating scan 4 weeks ago, and anomaly scan is not for another 4 weeks. Should I be seeing my GP at any stage for a checkup? 8 weeks seems like a long time with no appointments - but in saying that, all is good!

RE the bump - I was very bloated early on so I feel like I've been showing for ages (first time mum). The last few days my 'bump' has been really hard first thing in the morning, like the baba is all bunched up to one side!

Thanks in advance, and I hope you're all well.

lauras91 wrote: »
    I'm 17 weeks today. I'm in the Rotunda on the domino scheme - just wondering about appointments. I had my dating scan 4 weeks ago, and anomaly scan is not for another 4 weeks. Should I be seeing my GP at any stage for a checkup? 8 weeks seems like a long time with no appointments - but in saying that, all is good!

I'm public in Holles St. I had the booking appointment at 12 weeks and next one is the anomaly scan at 21 weeks. I went to the GP last week to get the flu shot and I asked when I should book my next appointment, she said at 24 weeks. So yeah, a long wait between the booking appointment and the big scan!

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 weeks today. I'm in the Rotunda on the domino scheme - just wondering about appointments. I had my dating scan 4 weeks ago, and anomaly scan is not for another 4 weeks. Should I be seeing my GP at any stage for a checkup? 8 weeks seems like a long time with no appointments - but in saying that, all is good! .

I'm semi private in Holles Street but yeah same thing, booking app at start of sept and 21 weeks scan at the end of this month. Only reason I've a doctor app this Friday is to get the flu and whooping cough vaccinations. Its a long wait between appointments alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LMMCH

I’m jumping over from February. I’m 20+4 now public in holles street. The doc told me at the booking appointment to see the GP at 18 weeks as otherwise it’s too long between appointments. So I made the appointment with the GP for 18 and when I got there she said well we wouldn’t normally see people this early but she did all the usual checks including trying to find the heartbeat which was a struggle cos I was still so early.
    I then had to attend the GP last week for some pregnancy related issues and was prepared to pay for the visit and it was a stand in dr said no they would give me an extra ante natal visit and no charge and again she did all the usual checks still struggled to find the heart beat again 🙈 but there seems to be some allowance there for extra visits depending on your GP.

I'm public in the Coombe, booking appointment was at 12 weeks and next normal appointment at 18 weeks (this Wednesday), then anomaly scan at 22 weeks.
    I just checked my appointments from last time and it was the same, appointments with hospital at 18 weeks, 28 weeks, 32 weeks and GP at 20 weeks and 30 weeks. There's definitely big gaps in the middle. Think it goes to every 2 weeks from 30 weeks then weekly from 36 but I had baby at 34 weeks so missed those!! Because of that I've also had an appointment with pre-term clinic at 16 weeks but that was just a quick internal scan so no checks really. Back there again at 28 weeks too. Had my whooping cough and flu vaccines last week but nurse did those.

Thanks for all the replies - I'll ring my GP and see what they say (need to book in for the vaccines anyway). But its good to know what all your experiences have been. Would be great to get some reassurance and possibly hear heartbeat, especially as I can't feel baby moving just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LMMCH

I’m 21 weeks tomorrow on my 2nd baby and I don’t feel much movement at all. Baby was moving like mad in the 20 week anomaly scan last week and I couldn’t feel a thing. The wait between appointments is excruciating some days but have to keep reminding myself I have no reason to worry.
    Thanks for all the replies - I'll ring my GP and see what they say (need to book in for the vaccines anyway). But its good to know what all your experiences have been. Would be great to get some reassurance and possibly hear heartbeat, especially as I can't feel baby moving just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I’m currently 17weeks, still no sign of a bump, my tummy does feel a bit firmer but I’m still well able to lie on my stomach at night and can wear most of my usual clothes (bar jeans, they’re too tight!). I will say that I am a bit overweight however so that may be it.

Anyone else in the same boat? I made the mistake of joining a March 21 group on Facebook and it’s full of people sharing their bumps from 10weeks onwards. It’s my first baby, and before I got pregnant I was doing a lot of core and abdomen exercise to help build muscle tone for a facet joint degeneration pain management in my lower spine, maybe that’s why.

I might put that group on mute, if only for the clringy baby names In it :pac:

I’m currently 17weeks, still no sign of a bump, my tummy does feel a bit firmer but I’m still well able to lie on my stomach at night and can wear most of my usual clothes (bar jeans, they’re too tight!). I will say that I am a bit overweight however so that may be it.

Anyone else in the same boat? I made the mistake of joining a March 21 group on Facebook and it’s full of people sharing their bumps from 10weeks onwards. It’s my first baby, and before I got pregnant I was doing a lot of core and abdomen exercise to help build muscle tone for a facet joint degeneration pain management in my lower spine, maybe that’s why.

I'm 18+5 and I can see a bump when I lie down alright. But standing up I just look overweight but to be fair I had weight on before the pregnancy haha. First baby here too. Whats bothering me is all the people asking me have I felt the baby yet...I don't think I have but then again I dont know what I'm waiting to feel either! Going to get my flu and whooping cough vaccinations tomorrow so going to chat to doctor and see if bump is where it should be at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I'm 18+5 and I can see a bump when I lie down alright. But standing up I just look overweight but to be fair I had weight on before the pregnancy haha. First baby here too. Whats bothering me is all the people asking me have I felt the baby yet...I don't think I have but then again I dont know what I'm waiting to feel either! Going to get my flu and whooping cough vaccinations tomorrow so going to chat to doctor and see if bump is where it should be at this stage.

Yea my mam was asking have I felt movement! I was like, uh no I don’t think so! I Honestly right now feel more like I’ve eaten too many sweets as opposed to being pregnant!

I got my flu jab with boots, was great not to pay for once :D

I'm 19 weeks and no visible bump really - i'm definitely overweight but haven't actually gained much in pregnancy. Its my second so apparently i should have a bump quicker but nope! you definitely wouldn't know i'm pregnant to look at me.

My bump is small but it's definitely there, I think I lost all my ab muscles during lockdown so it was easy for it to grow :D It might not be obvious for people who don't know though, I think if I went to the office now people would notice but wouldn't say anything as they would be unsure if it's a baby or food.

I haven't felt the baby moving yet, but every time I sit on the couch I put my hand on my belly hoping that I'll feel something. It's a long wait between the booking appointment and the anomaly scan so it would be nice to feel some movement to have some reassurance that everything is progressing as it should. I'll just need to be patient!

Yea my mam was asking have I felt movement! I was like, uh no I don’t think so! I Honestly right now feel more like I’ve eaten too many sweets as opposed to being pregnant!

I got my flu jab with boots, was great not to pay for once :D

Just back from getting my own flu and whooping cough jabs. Lucky I went in today because I got the second last whooping cough vaccine 😂 also asked him should I feel baby yet and he said shouldn't really feel anything till at least week 20/21 for first baby. So guess I'll just have the wait till the anomaly scan to see some movement but thankfully put my mind at ease knowing its perfectly normal not to feel anything yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dinnyhw

I haven't been on here in ages. I am 19 weeks now with twins. I have been desperately sick and spent two weeks in hospital with severe hyperemesis. I'm still on Cariban to control it and it looks like I will have to stay on it for the full pregnancy. I have a huge bump!!! I was big on my last pregnancy also, but the fact that it's twins is giving me a huge bump.
    I have had plenty of check ups with my consultant (going private) but all on my own. They are doing extra checks because it's twins and also because I was so sick. I have my anomaly scan the week after next and my husband isn't allowed in. It really is very hard going to all appointments alone.

dinnyhw wrote: »
    I haven't been on here in ages. I am 19 weeks now with twins. I have been desperately sick and spent two weeks in hospital with severe hyperemesis. I'm still on Cariban to control it and it looks like I will have to stay on it for the full pregnancy. I have a huge bump!!! I was big on my last pregnancy also, but the fact that it's twins is giving me a huge bump.
    I have had plenty of check ups with my consultant (going private) but all on my own. They are doing extra checks because it's twins and also because I was so sick. I have my anomaly scan the week after next and my husband isn't allowed in. It really is very hard going to all appointments alone.

I had my anomaly scan last Friday and same thing with no husband allowed. All good thank god. Not sure how long the anomaly scans are in normal circumstances but there was a not at the bottom of my report saying scan limited to 15 minutes, don't know is that common practice or more to do with coronavirus. I did ask the sonographer could I take a video to show my husband since it's our first baby and he is feeling left out since he can't attend the other scans, I was told as long as we have time at the end it's ok. Got a nice min and a half video to show him so at least I got something! We're thinking of going for a private scan in a couple of weeks just so that he can hear the heart beat and experience seeing a scan himself

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dinnyhw

I was thinking of going for a private scan too, but we are down the country and any of the private places that are accessible to us are not allowing partners in either!

Really? No partners even when you're paying for it? That's ridiculous!

dinnyhw wrote: »
    I haven't been on here in ages. I am 19 weeks now with twins. I have been desperately sick and spent two weeks in hospital with severe hyperemesis. I'm still on Cariban to control it and it looks like I will have to stay on it for the full pregnancy.

That sounds very tough, I hope the medication is now helping you feel better.
    Not sure how long the anomaly scans are in normal circumstances but there was a not at the bottom of my report saying scan limited to 15 minutes, don't know is that common practice or more to do with coronavirus.

When I got the Harmony Test done, at Merrion Fetal Health, the sonographer explained that because of covid they have to keep the scan time to under 15 minutes since social distancing is not possible while performing the scan. The actual appointment can take longer if the rest of it (questions, etc) are done keeping the distance. And my report also had that footnote of "scan done in under 15 minutes" or similar.

I'm 20w3d, still not feeling movements. I can't wait for the anomaly scan next week, I have no reason to think that something is wrong but 9 weeks between appointments without feeling movements is a long time with no proper reassurance.

My hip has started acting up, currently not too bad, just a weird feeling when moving, but at one point this week I could barely walk. Planning to go see a physio if it persists.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Dinny that’s tough to be going through on your own. I was cariban during the first trimester, so can empathise with you. Is the cariban helping?

It just doesn’t make sense to me that partners aren’t allowed in. We’re attending the Rotunda, and they are allowing partners for the 20 week scan only. Unfortunately we had some potentially bad news, and I just can’t even imagine going through that without my husband with me. They allowed him to come back in with me yesterday too - but we were given the third degree every time at the door by security... not nice when you’ve just received bad news. We’re now waiting on amnio results, so hopefully it’ll be a good outcome.

There’s a couple of petitions on the go (google
    Uplift maternity restrictions), and I’d encourage people to email their local TDs and the hospitals.

Advertisement