Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elen

Shelli, still here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Still here alright :(

Had a few twinges today, but not getting my hopes up.

It was a toss between reflexology and acupunture, but I hate people touching my feet, so I booked th acupuncture for tomorrow, however they place I'm going also does a combined session of both, so i'll see the therapist and she'll asses my needs and recommend whichever would suit best, and I guess I'll just grin and bear it if I have to get mt toes out.

I can't believe i'm still here!!

How is everyone else doing?

I had a scan this morning and asked to be kept in but they said no, doc reckons I'll go naturally myself over the weekend as my cervix is favourable and forward (sorry TMI), so she didn't want to induce just yet. I'm booked in for Monday morning anyway, so at least the end is definately in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

My goodness Shelli.............you're still there!! Best of luck, and I hope everything works out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Well at least you know that it will all be over soon and hopefully baba will be in your arms before you know it.

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Thinking of you Shelli!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Best of luck Shelli! Hope it all goes well! Thinking of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Have not been able to log in.

Shelli best of luck, thinking of you.

My section is booked for 2nd October and i am bricking it but wish it was tomorrow too!!

Sheli- I hope the fact we haven't heard from you means that baby is here and you are busy enjoying the new arrival!

We had our first visit with Dr R in the NMH today. We were originally scheduled for tomorrow evening, but I got a call yesterday that the consultant had to attend a meeting tomorrow and given several options for other visiting times, so we chose this morning before we both had to go to work (Dr R does first appointments for his private patients outside of office hours, so the husband can attend). We got there a few minutes before our 8am appointment, and I gave a urine sample, then was seen by the consultant immediately.

He took his time going through my medical history (leading to an appointment for a glucose test at 28 weeks as there is diabetes in my family). When I mentioned that I am vegetarian and a little worried about getting enough protein for my twins, he had his secretary set up an appointment with the hospital's dietician. Dr R weighed me (I gained another kilo and a half since my GP visit, for a total of 4.5 kilos since the beginning of the pregnancy), and then did my medical examination (blood pressure, pulse, listening to my heart and lungs etc).

Then we had a short ultrasound- about 5 minutes. Both twins are doing well, though one was sleepy whereas the other one was very active. They look like real people now! Husband is convinced he saw a penis on one of them, but I think that may be wishful thinking :*) Dr R's u/s machine isn't detailed enough for exact messurements, but he said they looked healthy and right on target, with strong heartbeats. I asked for an extra picture for my mom, as we are going to visit her this weekend and she lives abroad, and that was no problem (though the piccies are small and grainy).

We sat back down with the consultant and I asked the questions I hadn't asked yet- the whole thing took about 20 minutes. Then went out to the secretary, who gave me an orange folder full of leaflets, coupons and stuff, and gave me info on the different ante-natal classes (I am having mine a bit early, starting on 31st October, in case the twins come early) and other stuff they offer (early pregnancy class- no appointment needed- every Wednesday lunchtime; yoga, twin ante-natal classes etc), as well as made appointments for our next consultants appointment, the big scan and the twin clinic (nxt week! It's so col, I'll get to see the babies again). I am going to be busy with all those appointments; it's great that it is all scheduled already though, so I know what's when and don't have to fret.

We were in and out in 30 minutes, and felt very well taken care of.

Thats great Silja, glas everything went well for you, it's such a relief when you have a good realtionship with your consultant.

• Advertisement

How is everyone doing?

I had my first appointment in the special twin clinic today, and the kiddies are measuring on-date for twins, even on the big side, at 6.6 and 6.8cm, with all fingers and toes and everything where it should be, and strong heartbeats. Photos here for those interested:

Twin A: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/silja/The%20twins/twinA.jpg
    Twin B: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/silja/The%20twins/TwinB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Helloo! Just thought I'd join the thread here. I'm just about 13 weeks pregnant and expecting twins!
    Am from Cork but have been living in New Zealand the last 2 years.

This is our first pregnancy and we're delighted to be blessed with 2.
    Silja, are your twins fraternal or identical? I'm a twin myself so wasn't totally shocked when I saw twins in the ultra sound

Love the scan! I had never seen a twin scan!

Anyone knows about Sheli? did she have her son?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Hi Flyz!
    Mine are fraternal twins, concevied on our third IUI attempt. They are doing very well and I was so lucky not to have bad ms.

Elen wrote:
    Love the scan! I had never seen a twin scan!

Anyone knows about Sheli? did she have her son?

Hi Elen, Baby Tadhg arrived on 12th August, weighing in at a whopping 12lb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Twelve pounds...I feel sick...I'm already looking big, I'm sure it was all worth it but I'm not keen on having a twelve pounder...How did you manage?! How's it all going now?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stinkybum

Hi there - bit of a newbie - 13 weeks now with my first (not first pg tho - have 3 mc's behind me - never got this far before though). I'm attending private to Dr McKenna in the Rotunda. So far my pregnancy has been textbook and has only been blighted by my type1 diabetes care. the team in the Rotunda are unsupportive and unhelpful to say the least, the nurses being hindered by resources, the consultants being hindered by lack of individual thinking. thankfully my Ob, mckenna, has been wonderful and has given me extra scans and told us the baby is growing fine and all is going according to plan. Next scan on the 25th, a few days before my wedding.

Nice to read everyones stories on here - a LOT of twins going on - best of luck to you all - how lovely to be that clever to have TWO babies growing in you :)

Getting married in under 4 weeks and also just lost my job BUT just got approval for a re-mortgage so i dont have to work for the next few years. So all is working out for us.

best of luck to you all :)

Twelve pounds...I feel sick...I'm already looking big, I'm sure it was all worth it but I'm not keen on having a twelve pounder...How did you manage?! How's it all going now?

I did look absolutely huge by the end, and was 13 days overdue, but having nothing to compare it too probably made it that bit easier (first baby). Had a normal delivery, and am healing surprisingly quickly, or so I've been told. Tadhg still looked tiny to me, that is until they put a 6lber beside him! :D

It's one of the advantages of being pregnant with twins :) Guaranteed not to have 2 12pounders :D

silja, I'm delighted for you! Mine are fraternal too. I always said I would keep the sex of a baby a surprise for the birth. However with twins I think I may have to re-evaluate :)

Congrats stinkybum also! :)

• Advertisement

I had a detailed anatomical/ blood scan today as part of the twin study they are doing in all major Irish hospitals. They are mainly looking at any growth disparities between the twins, and also bloodflow via the cord to the placenta. Everything looks great, and the twins are in fact meassuring ahead (I am 16+3 and they meassure 17weeks even and 16+5 by head/ abdominal/femur measurement). The sonographer even switched to 3D for us briefly which was really cool! We also found out the sex:

Twin A is definitely a boy (named Wilbur Bruce, after DH and his granddad).
    Twin B is 90% a girl (Robyn Audrey, because I like Robyn and Audrey after DH's mom), but she wasn't co-operating as well as Twin A, so they'll check again at 20 weeks.

Wilbur:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/silja/The%20twins/TwinAWilbur1.jpg

Robyn:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/silja/The%20twins/TwinB-Robyn.jpg

Aw, congrats! One of each, nice!
    Wilbur is such a cute name, and I love the name Robyn!

It must be the cutest thing to have a boy and a girl!!!

I start my 34 week tomorrow, and I am getting more and more tired. Being in work, specially in the afternoons is so hard... I am finishing in two weeks, but even that feels so far away

Thought I'd start a new pregnancy thread like we used to have, as the other one has slipped down the board and became quite long. So how is everyone doing?

Today was my twin study appointment. I asked the midwife doing the scan to have a very good look at their faces for cleft palate/ hare lip issues and she could not see any abnormalities; she said while a small hare lip might not be seen at this stage, this means they definitely do not have a cleft palate or major facial issues, which I am glad about (I asked because my half brother had a major cleft palate- even missing part of his nose- and my half sister had a hare lip).

Both twins are growing fine, and are in fact even further ahead than last time! This is unusual as usually around 20 weeks, twin growth starts slowing down. There was excellent growth in their leg measurements, so that Robyn's previously short leg are now longer than average for the time of gestation, and Wilbur's are exactly average (this is a singleton average, too!). They have also started to put on a layer of fat on their tummies, which usually starts to happen around 22 weeks. So we are having extraordinary babies, who today (20+3) meassure 21+4and 21+6,and 12 ounces each :*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

hey girls, just came on to wish you all the best of luck, amazing time for all of you (and partners) i have 4....3yr and under....lol imagine! ...enjoy pregnancy..the fun begins after! oh and tip for any one having section... consultant warned me very easy to get pregnant in first ovulation after section...6 weeks later (fathers day ahemmmm) bingo..10mts and a day between em! so best of luck to all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This pic made me laugh a lot and reminded me of how I used to be afflicted with baby brain in the last trimester.

Really once I nearly but two socks on the one foot because I had forgot I had just put one already on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,825 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

themadchef wrote:
    bingo..10mts and a day between em!
    Wow, Irish twins :D

Life ain't always empty.

Hey Silja, sounds like your babies are doing great!

Things are going great here also. I had an anatomy scan on Friday to verify that both babies were developing nicely. All 20 fingers and toes were intact! :)

I'm enjoying the feeling of 'normality' for the moment cos I'm pretty sure it'll all change soon.
    Other than it being baby brain central at the moment. Some days I find it hard to complete a sentence!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

Howdy. I had my little one Maeve last year 30, November and am expecting once again. This time around seems a bit harder but then I didn't give my self much time to heal up. I had a c-section and most likely will get another. I hate being high risk b/c the clinic sucks. Good thing is the little one ( a boy this time) is doing dandy and everything seems to be in top shape.
    will be 26 weeks this friday and it is just going too stinking slow. :/
    I also did a no no flying close to one month before due date but I hope (which i don't think will happen) I hope not to give birth on an airplane!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Congratulations neoB

Advertisement