Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Twins...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

fits wrote: »
    Formula is a wonderful solution for those who can’t breastfeed. I’m sorry it didn’t work out.

But it’s often sold as easier option and it definitely isn’t imo. I’ve heard it likened to learning to ride tricycle vs bicycle. Bicycle harder at start but you’ll go way further with ease once mastered

It isn't a "solution" because not breastfeeding isn't a "problem". Some women simply choose not to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

fits wrote: »
    making and washing that many bottles sounds so hard. I honestly don’t get why people do it

We did similar with the batch making..I would agree batch making was most efficient for us.

It just depends on how things turn out for you Fits.I mean I exclusively fed 2 of mine from the start (first had other issues) - and just couldn't get it to keep going past about 5 - 6 weeks.I pumped up to about 12 weeks for both and combination fed, but it just didn't happen for me unfortunately.Had a lactation consultant on the 3rd at 4.5 weeks, went to get a tongue tie snipped and everything (although the TT doctor told me it wasn't worth snipping after the lactation consultant told me if was definitely a problem...), and it was just the way things went.It was sad at the time for me, each time, but I felt I gave it the best shot I could for them and couldn't do much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Not going to get into bf vs formula thing at all. I’m just saying don’t rule it out cos twins.

I managed it as first time mum , post c section , with one baby having low muscle tone and subsequently diagnosed with a genetic condition. No major knowledge of bf in my family either. If it’s possible for me, it’s possible for many more too. But I’m not saying everyone at all. There can be all sorts of things going on that work against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Just to add, prep machine is not great if you’ve big bottles to make for 2 babies, faster to batch make and store in fridge, microwave when needed, and swirl well.
    Not getting into the bitchiness of breast versus bottle, do whatever works for you, fed is fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

shesty wrote: »
    We did similar with the batch making..I would agree batch making was most efficient for us.

It just depends on how things turn out for you Fits.I mean I exclusively fed 2 of mine from the start (first had other issues) - and just couldn't get it to keep going past about 5 - 6 weeks.I pumped up to about 12 weeks for both and combination fed, but it just didn't happen for me unfortunately.Had a lactation consultant on the 3rd at 4.5 weeks, went to get a tongue tie snipped and everything (although the TT doctor told me it wasn't worth snipping after the lactation consultant told me if was definitely a problem...), and it was just the way things went.It was sad at the time for me, each time, but I felt I gave it the best shot I could for them and couldn't do much more.

We had a similar experience, our girl had a tongue tie. Had it rectified at around two weeks if I remember. She was fine after that. Apparently it was mild but figured it was better to have done anyway! We combination feed now and are happy with that. Only thing I'd change about my mat leave if I had it back would be less fretting about what other people think/ say/ do and I'd steer clear of the breast pump and fenugreek tea, which increased my supply but also made my little baby sick :( I cried the first time I gave my baby formula, I certainly won't be volunteering for that guilt again :)

We never got into batch making, I figured by the time wed to heat the bottle again, be as easy to make it, though with two on the go I imagine that's not quite as easy! I always have a stash of pre made available. I rarely used it but knew it was there :D It's a little more expensive too.

Due my second baby next year - so we will have Irish twins lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Not Now John

First time dad to be here and we are expecting twins in early May.

Really excited and looking forward to it, even if everybody is saying "our life is ruined", but I know they mean that in a good way..

Any twin parents out there with a few recommendations on purchases or must haves for twins from your own experiences.

Thanks

We just found out the same yesterday!! Our first too. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

We just found out the same yesterday!! Our first too. Wow.

Congrats. Such fab news.

I got such a shock when we found out it was twins. Herself went in for an early scan about 8 or 9 weeks.
    I couldn't go in with restrictions and was waiting out in the car.
    Then got a text saying just "Twins"..
    I was on shock until she showed me the pictures. It was surreal.

For some reason, herself was convinced she was having twins since we found out we were pregnant. Female intuition or whatever, she was openly saying it to me and her mother "I think its twins". She had nothing to compare it to, so I don't know was she hoping or guessing or what.

Exciting times ahead

Advertisement