Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discussing sex with your teens

• 28-08-2020 4:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Do you think it's important? My parents were great but I must admit, when it came to sex/puberty, I got absolutely no information from them. They seemed ashamed of the topic as they'd change the channel when a naked person was on.

The topic was only mentioned twice in my whole time in academic education. One class in 6th class and another in 3rd year during SPHE.

Lucky for them I was socially awkward and never impregnated a girl but I feel this is the wrong approach. Many of my Irish friends who are the same age as me got comprehensive education from their parents about sexual protection, body anatomy, STD's, age of consent etc.. None from mine, but it's not surprising given that they're from a conservative culture (East Africa).

In America, higher rates of pregnancy are associated in States with abstinence-only sex education than those with comprehensive education. So it seems the approach my parents use doesn't work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why wait until they are teenagers? Age appropriate talk about sexual matters should be the norm during childhood.

My daughter was around 8 when she started asking questions.

I just answered them as simply as possible using age appropriate language. I did not use made up words for body parts.

Its easy to overthink it, and over complicate it.

Advertisement