Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcadia group collapse.

Comments

buried wrote: »
    If you want to live in your own community and hope it thrives, then base your whole effort into what your community can make for itself and support it. Not clothes made in the back end of Bangladesh for 2 cents then sold for 20 euros or anything else hoofed to make a profit for a entity that doesn't give a $hit about your own community or well-being.

What large Irish clothes retailer gives a sh1t about the local community?

Take it that all your clothes, footwear, electronics including the device your using to post on here etc are made locally?

Take it that if a farmer, that your tractor and other machinery is made locally?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting the little guy that makes their own stuff, but if it was viable then I'd be making my living from my furniture and not having to worry about some bigger Irish or foreign company buying in mass produced pieces that they can sell wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Realistically in Ireland if a jumper was to be handmade and you were to pay minumum wage to a highly skilled person it would need to retail for circa €150, very few willing to pay anywhere near this.

But that is the sort of mindframe we need to go back to AD. People are soon going to have to realise the era of cheap labour for clothes will soon be over, the era of cheap everything is going to be over. Its going to be the case in the very very near future, and very soon that nations are going to have to rely on what they can make for themselves. Skills that can be utilised must be utilised and equally they must be traded within the immediate community. I'm not being dramatic man, this is what is coming down the line. You think once we reach peak oil, with all the carbon footprint talk everybody is being rammed down their throats we can continue on the same trajectory as getting our clothes from the likes of 'arcadia'?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

DubInMeath wrote: »
    What large Irish clothes retailer gives a sh1t about the local community?

Take it that all your clothes, footwear, electronics including the device your using to post on here etc are made locally?

Take it that if a farmer, that your tractor and other machinery is made locally?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting the little guy that makes their own stuff, but if it was viable then I'd be making my living from my furniture and not having to worry about some bigger Irish or foreign company buying in mass produced pieces that they can sell wholesale.

Exactly what I just said to Atlantic Dawn there Dub, we can no longer rely on the globalist shareholder shtick to get us or our kids though the next century. It has to go back the other way. We have to look after ourselves. We can do that with food already, if we have to do it with clothes, then so be it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ok, Im willing to meet people half way on this. Half the population should stop wearing clothes. I vote it should be women

To be fair, womens clothes take up most of any clothing department pretty much anywhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

I work from home naked the only time I get dressed is to go to lidle

• Advertisement

Exactly what I just said to Atlantic Dawn there Dub, we can no longer rely on the globalist shareholder shtick to get us or our kids though the next century. It has to go back the other way. We have to look after ourselves. We can do that with food already, if we have to do it with clothes, then so be it.

Where are we going to get the raw materials to make these clothes, or do you see us all in wool and leather, or importing cotton like we did in previous centuries from Asia and America?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But that is the sort of mindframe we need to go back to AD. People are soon going to have to realise the era of cheap labour for clothes will soon be over, the era of cheap everything is going to be over. Its going to be the case in the very very near future, and very soon that nations are going to have to rely on what they can make for themselves. Skills that can be utilised must be utilised and equally they must be traded within the immediate community. I'm not being dramatic man, this is what is coming down the line. You think once we reach peak oil, with all the carbon footprint talk everybody is being rammed down their throats we can continue on the same trajectory as getting our clothes from the likes of 'arcadia'?

Yes I found out recently the amount of resources required to make a pair of jeans, the water alone required is 10,000 litres for a single pair, insane. Perhaps the key is to ban utter ****e like Tesco or Dunnes own brand jeans and only allow premium brands to come in. Additionally you could ban tools which were of a brutal quality they wasted precious earth resources in their manufacture.

Peak oil is decades away, many new oil fields discovered in the last decade, coupled with fracking it's not going away anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

murpho999 wrote: »
    No deal done on Brexit yet but this is nothing to do with Brexit.

It's internet & covid.

A lot of the British retailers have been on the verge of going under for a few years now. This won't be the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

IMO that happened a long time ago.

EHMMM, how so? Polar opposites.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Peak oil is decades away, many new oil fields discovered in the last decade, coupled with fracking it's not going away anytime soon.

So much for Greta and the protesting kids! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So much for Greta and the protesting kids! :D

Yes don't believe the hype :D

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I'm just wondering if M&S will ditch Ireland, especially if no EU UK trade deal regarding processed ready meal import /export? It would be a huge loss as regards jobs and personally as I buy all my ( non-processed) food there and it is of superior quality to which I have become accustomed.

I think Topshop is the prized asset in the Arcadia group. It will be bough out and survive by a vulture fund. Whether Topshop remains in ROI is also debatable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've had the best Black Friday bargain ever.

Sir Philip Green sold me Top Shop for a quid!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The arcadia group stores make up a good chunk of jervis Street shopping centre. Add the demise of Debenhams and the whole of Henry Street has gone kerblunk.

It will be some task in getting somebody to take the space that Debenhams took up on Henry Street, plus the empty units in jervis. Dundrum also lost House of Fraser plus have a few arcadia stores in the centre.

A big change is happening. And a lot of people are out of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Reports saying Mike Ashley is looking at putting 50m in to save the group.

Is Philip Green not a billionaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Reports saying Mike Ashley is looking at putting 50m in to save the group.

Why throw good money after bad? Green must think that the writing is on the wall if he's not willing to back his own companies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Of course he is.

Green and his family got more than £580m
    in dividends, rental payments and interest on loans during their ownership of BHS.

When he sold it for £1 the pensions deficit was £571

11,000 jobs lost.

Back in 2005 he paid himself 4 years worth of Arcadia profits. Or rather for tax avoidance reasons he paid his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The day of English "oligarchs" running retail is gone.

They didn't change and far superior retailers from a variety of countries are creating a better retail space.

Philip Greene will not be remembered as a great retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't see it as a disaster at all. I would be glad to see those shops gone off Grafton Street.

It's a Dublin Street not a British High Street.

Got some more individual shops in their that will make the street unique again.

Future shops are goiing to have to be service and/or food orientated so it could become a great cultural place.

Reminds me of a quote by, I think, Jeremy Hardy -

-If competition is all about choice why is every High Street the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I feel sorry for all the people losing their jobs - I havn’t shopped in any of those ‘stores’ for years - overpriced gloryholes and even topshops discount cotton tops lost their allure decades ago. It’ll be nice to see if Grafton St returns to its former exclusive glory or descends into a total orgy of phoneshops.

Maybe if the government wasn’t making a fortune of the business rates based on the commercial value of the properties they might have remaIned viable - maybe not - but that kind of relentless pressure on a business can’t help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

- overpriced gloryholes

When choosing a glory hole, one should frequent the most expensive establishment one can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It’ll be nice to see if Grafton St returns to its former exclusive glory or descends into a total orgy of phoneshops.
    Thankfully, local planning laws prevent any new fast food or phone shops on grafton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

very sad to see for the Irish employees.

Many of the longer term employees had the better contracts. The group was just hoping they would leave and be replaced by cheaper employees

I know of 3 pol with them - one had 20 years service followed by 15 and 10 years respectively.

They feel this has been coming for a long time, still a shock though when it hspoend.

They haven't been told not to turn up for work next week.

Feel bad for the Irish people working in these outlets myself but at the same time Irish people would do well to wise up to the fact you can no longer rely on foreign companies to provide you with any sort of security of employment. These corporate entities are only here to get what they can get in the short term for their shareholders. This has been the case and an example for the last 30 years. You tie your star to these hoor's wagons, expect the end result. Its been going on for the last 30 years.

Astonishing lack of empathy towards people losing their jobs.

I feel sorry BUT...

...Their own fault because they should have known better.

You are also way off the mark with your pick your battles stance...as Arcadia weathered the 2008 recession, when many Irish companies did not.

The mistake was not to adapt or react to digital age. Could have been deliberate.

Theres no better security with Irish companies. No such thing as job security in any job.

The days of a job for life are long gone.

But dont blame the people who work for a living and rely on the income.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I couldn't find any sympathy for P Green.
    He's shown himself to be an unpleasant individual with shops that sell overpriced tat.
    Yes it's sad for the employees but such is life.

I couldn't find any sympathy for P Green.
    He's shown himself to be an unpleasant individual with shops that sell overpriced tat.
    Yes it's sad for the employees but such is life.

Not a nice person in any way.

Too pig headed to realise the world was changing and he needed to adapt and not the other way round. The business model was outdated.

I'm sure the people with no income in December share your sentiments that such is life.

anewme wrote: »
    The business model was outdated.
    Keep the shareholders happy while you milk what you can out of the company and then move on to the next company ?

Keep the shareholders happy while you milk what you can out of the company and then move on to the next company ?

Or retire with more money than you can ever spend in this lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It is no harm that these guys go bankrupt and that the rental value of these shops plummet.

The only way to make money in these prime retail locations now is to buy in the cheapest of cheap Chinese sh1t you can find and flog tons of it with massive margins. The owners of the shops are fellas whose great granddad was a cobbler or a cooper 250 years ago and have long since moved to the Bahamas to party all night with a cocktail in each hand. Or else they were sold to some investment corp so no harm their income be reduced to a trickle.

Maybe eventually it will be possible to open a shop for a reasonable rent again and sell decent quality stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

My first thought was "Ah that's a shame, such a cool experience for young kids to play old arcade machines".

Then I read past the thread title and didn't care.

Advertisement