Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Networks - Apprenticeship program

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kate.r

hello,
    just got a call from them today, opening spot for an Interview tomorrow has anyone went through their interview yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Larryduff2018

torbie wrote: »
    I was just wondering- was your son told they would get an interview next year or do they have to start again?
    It's a crappy thing to do to the applicants...

We were basically told if the apprenticeship is run again next year and there are positions in his areas he selected he will be called for interview. Presuming straight to interview and not having to go through it all again. There's alot of ifs and buts. He was devasted as this was his 2nd time to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Larryduff2018

That is so crap. It's like they handed you a chance and took it away.. so sorry to hear that. My daughter got through to the interview stage too but got a phone call last week & picked her time & date for the interview.
    I think they agreed to a certain amount of apprenticeships over a few years so hopefully they'll make up the numbers. Do you have a plan B?
    Best of luck to your daughter. Plan B in our house is in progress took him a good 2 weeks to get over the disappointment of all this. Looking for apprenticeship elsewhere a year to wait, and possibly nothing at the end of it is a long time. If he does get called next year he will still go ahead it's where he wants to work since he was in 3rd year at school and that was a few years back now. 😂😂Best of luck and well done to all who did get called.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Folks

Has there been any update on this. My 18yr old did an interview, did reasonably well (according to him!) and has heard little since. I understood that the results were to have been issued in October, with a potential start date in February. Anybody hear anything further.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭torbie

Past30Now wrote: »
    Folks

Has there been any update on this. My 18yr old did an interview, did reasonably well (according to him!) and has heard little since. I understood that the results were to have been issued in October, with a potential start date in February. Anybody hear anything further.

We still waiting too. And have been told the same feb start. I think that will change. I cant see them starting till maybe sept.
    Fingers crossed for our kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Biffinator

Waiting here too , I did have to retake an assessment there last week not sure If it makes a difference I think that's only for some .im kinda hoping that no news is good news if it's taking this long but it's only speculation . It'd be rotten to have to wait this long for a no .best of luck to them I hope we get to meet

Biffinator wrote: »
    Waiting here too , I did have to retake an assessment there last week not sure If it makes a difference I think that's only for some .im kinda hoping that no news is good news if it's taking this long but it's only speculation . It'd be rotten to have to wait this long for a no .best of luck to them I hope we get to meet

So you went to Portlaoise to re-do the aptitude tests? I would think that is a good thing. My daughter hasnt heard anything in ages. She felt real good after the interview tho.

No just on-line, it was the ones we did back at the application stage ,could be anything really could of done bad on the two I took who knows. hoping it is good news but I wouldn't fret if they weren't called for a retake I think they just test a sample of applicants , most just get called for the medical from what iv been reading. Like they would of probably said to those who didn't make it and then moved to the next stage if that makes sence. Have to say I'm 28 and it's been the most difficult application IV taken for any job .again keep the fingers crossed and hopefully we'll know soon. I think the lockdown is what's holding it all up cause the medical seems to be in Dublin

Biff, thanks for letting me know that. I still think it's good news for you. I'll let you know if my daughter hears anything. She & me will be gutted if she doesnt get it.
    I think they kinda making it up as they go along - nobody knows what going to happen over the next few months.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The main thing I am conscious of is would I be viewed by the hirers as too old to embark on an apprenticeship?

In my opinion 39 is too old.

I was considered "old" starting my electrical apprenticeship at 22. I spent around 15 years working on my tools. It is a great trade and it opened a lot of doors for me. I made good money, worked in many different sectors, worked abroad and most importantly was never out of work. However the work can be very physical and it became very clear to me that once an electrician turns 40 an exit plan should be strongly considered. At 50 it is a must. In my own case I made the decision to transition from electrician to electrical engineer when in my late thirties.

You would qualify at 43, that means that your career as an electrician will be a very short one. This does not mean that you need to exit the electrical industry, but for me it would question the logic of committing to a 4 year apprenticeship programme. Having said that it is a very good apprenticeship, I have worked with a some that have completed it.

I have been working or studying full time in the electrical industry for almost 30 years now (yes I am old). If you would like to talk to me about this please feel free to send me a PM and I will send you my mobile phone number. I will then tell you the good, the bad and the ugly of going through this process as well as what it feels like to make a major career change when in your late thirties.

I wish you the very best of luck with whatever you decide, I admire your drive and enthusiasm.

• Advertisement

my daughters Dad is an electrician - and he worked his way up and teaches in one of the TECH colleges now. :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

my daughters Dad is an electrician - and he worked his way up and teaches in one of the TECH colleges now. :-)

Yes, many electricians use their training to transition to other related roles myself included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Danny552

You shouldn't wait to get into ESB go start an electrician apprenticeship and if you dont hear back or you didnt get through at least you have started a apprenticeship,
    Friend of mine went through ESB apprenticeship.

more options to move into different sections to get into
    after electrician apprenticeship, option to start your own business aswell not for everyone.
    Pay is better aswell.

My daughter has been asked to redo some of the online tests. So that's good news

My daughter has been asked to redo some of the online tests. So that's good news

Great to hear , god it's taking a while but we'll hopefully know soon. Biggest thing I found with em was the panic caught me off guard. Got an assessment job prep pack for 30 quid was doing pretty well but when it came to it my mind went blank, still did relatively okay but not the 80%+ I was averaging in the practice 🀣 biggest thing I think they're looking for is if there's a major difference in initial results Vs the retake hence having to have a webcam to do it . Fingers crossed 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IrishPaddyMan7

Hi folks, I'm just wondering has anyone heard anything since they sat the aptitude retest?

Hi folks, I'm just wondering has anyone heard anything since they sat the aptitude retest?

No news here but my heart did stop when I saw a new post on the board!

I kinda think we wont hear anything till after level 5.. things so up on the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IrishPaddyMan7

No news here but my heart did stop when I saw a new post on the board!

I kinda think we wont hear anything till after level 5.. things so up on the air.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I was thinking that aswell but thought they might have started to contact people and have the dates for the next stage set for when level 5 restrictions are over. I guess it's a sit and wait as we have being doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tkmin

Best of luck to all the candidates who have progressed past the interview stage and hard luck to those who received a rejection letter.
    It's been a long process, 9 months so far.
    Plan B has been activated in our house.

Sorry you didnt get the news you hoped for TKmin. It is a very long process this year. Glad you have a plan B. We dont need a plan B yet so keep going onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Tkmin

Best of luck to your daughter Torbie

• Registered Users Posts: 24 EmmaFitz16

My son got a date for a medical in January, did anyone else hear anything? He is delighted

My daughter had her medical last week. Extensive eye test, hearing and mobility tests.
    Can I ask do you live in Dublin or outside if Dublin? I'm just wondering if they doing it county by county as you not allowed outside your own county yet.

My daughter had her medical last week. Extensive eye test, hearing and mobility tests.
    Can I ask do you live in Dublin or outside if Dublin? I'm just wondering if they doing it county by county as you not allowed outside your own county yet.

Great news for your daughter, has she heard anything since the medical? Where are you based. Yes we live in Dublin, I was expecting the medical before Xmas but it's January. Fingers crossed for them all now.

EmmaFitz16 wrote: »
    Great news for your daughter, has she heard anything since the medical? Where are you based. Yes we live in Dublin, I was expecting the medical before Xmas but it's January. Fingers crossed for them all now.

The medical was only last week & we in Dublin too. We hoping she gets offered a place but it gets delayed & she might finish her course & then start. I dont think anyone has a crystal ball as to how these things are going to work.

Yes its difficult to know how things are going to go, its been such a strange year. It would be great if courses could be finished alright, its just a waiting game now!

Emmafitz - good luck to your son 🙂. Let us know how it goes for him. They let my daughter know how she did & some of the tests you can see how you are doing.
    I'd say they aiming to start at a particular time -untill they have to change it again. Anyway we hope for good results.

Hey again folks. Great to hear the medical went well for your daughter torbie :) I have mine next week. IV been going through pretty much every thread possible in relation to this and it seems like they're phased starts 2 week then next group . Some people got start dates before others got to do a medical in recent years . With social distancing etc I'd say itl be the same but who knows really. Glass ball analogy pretty right tho can't tell how it's gonna play out but hears hoping it's gonna be some good news after Christmas. Is it early January the medical is for you emmafitz?

Hi Biff,
    Interesting info there. Isn't there supposed to be an introduction 2 weeks in Portlaoise? I wonder if that could happen. I'd be hoping for another girl if my daughter gets accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭walshtipp

Hi Biff,
    Interesting info there. Isn't there supposed to be an introduction 2 weeks in Portlaoise? I wonder if that could happen. I'd be hoping for another girl if my daughter gets accepted.

Yes there is a two week induction in Portlaoise. In my experience the ESBN apprenticeship programme has been attracting more and more girls in recent years. There will probably be 10+ girls taken on.

Advertisement