Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MUBI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Touchez pas au grisbi I watched a few months ago on my "mubi travels" has been added to the Irish version of Mubi.

Its a brilliant crime thriller from the 50s which flies by and has a great lead performance.

Pops up on lists when people talk about best French gangster films. :)

Looking forward to that.

Just watched Terry Gilliam's Brazil - anyone who hasn't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch; unique, bizarre, surreal, massively imaginative, with a killer cameo from De Niro. :)

This Boy’s Life – Caton-Jones – 1993
    De Niro’s character is such a hateful buffoon that it is hard to spend so much time in his company; he’s too one-dimensional. Not convinced by Di Caprio as the bad kid. The soundtrack is syrupy and sentimental. There are a lot of tropes and cliches we’ve seen many times before. A really young Eliza Dushku from Buffy turns up, but that is about as interesting as it gets. Formulaic and disappointing.
    :):)

Brazil – Gilliam – 1985
    “Don’t suspect a friend, report him!” says the poster. Made one year after 1984, and that is not coincidental; it has a lot in common with the Orwell novel, especially on the theme of bureaucracy gone made. The only drawback is the protagonist, Sam, who is annoying and ineffectual, tho Gilliam’s imagination is impressive; there is a never ending stream of weirdness, curiosity, eccentricity, surrealism and hilarity. A bizarre, unique joy (also, De Niro’s appearance is the best cameo ever).
    :):):):)

Ghosts - Okyay - 2020
    Not sure about the significance of the title; there are no ghosts – literal or metaphorical – in the film. It is very much about the present; present day Istanbul and ordinary people’s struggle to survive. It centres on Didem, a young dancer who is having boyfriend trouble. There is the predictable conflict between modernity and the old ways, feminist protests while the call to prayer sounds in the background. Good, but lacks depth.
    :):):)

Cruel story of youth – Oshima - 1960
    A tangled web in sixties Japan. It is the old story; a young woman falls for a bad boy, who in turn is seeing an older woman. Mako’s sister gets involved, wishing for her lost youth. An intense story – there aren’t a lot of laughs – where women are treated as property or objects. Atmospheric, a snapshot of its time and a changing culture.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Watched Brazil last night myself. It's pretty wonderful in an insane sort of way. 1984 meets Kafka essentially. Probably deserves a rewatch at some point too.

LA Confidential – Hansen - 1998
    Some wonderful moments in this movie; Lana Turner, Rolo Tomasi, Russell Crowe breaking the back of a chair with his bare hands. Fabulous cast; Kevin Spacey before he got cancelled, Guy Pearce, Kim Basinger. Stylish, fast moving, it has a moral heart; it is essentially about being a good person. Just great, pure entertainment.
    :):):):):)

Reunion – Odell – 2013
    Fascinating. A film within a film, within a real story. The first part is something that never happened; the second feels like a recreation of something that did. A lot of questions come up; is Anna Odell using her trauma for personal success? Is this good for her mental health? Has it helped her to heal? There are questions of the outsider here, group dynamics, group think. One of a kind.

Touchez pas au grisbi – Becker - 1954
    One bunch of crooks tries to rip off another bunch of crooks. The film suffers from the same issue that any gangster film has; there are no sympathetic characters and so it is difficult to identify with anyone here. There is a certain style to the action, but the cast is just a bunch of French guys in suits called Max, Ramon, Jojo and Angelo, and there is nothing deeper than this spat between criminals. Meh.

X & Y – Anna Odell – 2018
    We are supposed to be playing with fact and fiction here, but it is clear that this is all pretend, despite the constant demand for a script from the ‘actors’. Real Danish and Swedish actors playing a version of themselves, who in turn are supposed to be playing various elements of the personalities of two other actors. A hall of mirrors, a labyrinth, a tricky little story that doesn’t completely convince but is always fascinating. Konstbarn!

One from the heart – Francis Ford Coppola – 1984
    Looks great, though very artificial, more like a play at times than a movie. The colours, sights and sounds of Las Vegas, though apparently not filmed there but in a studio in California. The downside is the story, which is slight and unengaging; hard to care about the central couple or anything that happens to them. I was rooting against Frannie and Hank at the end. It gets worse as it goes on.

Personal shopper – Assayas – 2016
    Truly silly. Kristen Stewart says the word “ectoplasm” in the middle of this film, and I stopped taking it seriously. All the spiritualist stuff is just nonsense. Kristen Stewart just plays her normal angsty young woman character and is mostly contorted with anxiety throughout the story, making her hard to watch. It briefly gets tense and interesting, and then just wastes this. Laughably bad.
    :)

Mayor – Osit – 2019
    Eye-opening, especially now that the conflict is as bad as it's been. The street battle is hair raising, and the eponymous mayor trudges his way through the story, keeping going but with the weight of the world on his shoulders. An education.

Thirst – Park Chan Wook – 2009
    Do we need another vampire film? This one is very stylish, but there isn’t really anything new here. Though the priest is the central character, Tae-Ju is the heart of the story; put-upon, abandoned, taken advantage of but also daring and passionate and uncontrolled. The film is bloody and brutal at times, but also tender and driven by a fcuked up love story.

• Advertisement

The Outsiders – Ford Coppola – 1983
    The scene near the end where Ponyboy reads Johnny’s letter is truly trite and cringeworthy, and shows how badly this film has aged. The music is truly awful; Stevie Wonder’s theme tune is syrupy and sentimental, like a lot of the soundtrack. A star-studded, brat-pack cast, but there is a lot of overacting, melodrama and cliched dialogue. Has some emotional power but is largely a failure.

Billy Liar – Schlesinger – 1963
    A perfect portrait of a fantasist. Billy is happily detached from reality, and in the end it is clear that his fantasies are more satisfying than any potential excitement or adventure in the real world. The Julie Christie character is his counterpoint; just as restless but with the strength of will to do something about it. Very British, some wonderful moments, like those of Billy and his mate imitating the councillor. “In my day….”.

Ring – Nakata – 2018
    A bit creepy, but not really frightening. Once you suspend disbelief there is a lot to like about this bizarre story of a cursed video. None of it really makes any sense; the only explanation seems to be that “maybe the father was not of this world”, but it holds your interest. There is a build up of tension and an effective climax, and room for a sequel.

Jerichow – Petzold – 2008
    An intriguing love triangle, with betrayal, exploitation, friendship, suspicion and obsession all mixed up together under what seems to be a tranquil surface. An ironic ending adds to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Hey there 2021 , https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12516292/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 , turkish lighthearted film. quirky. nice and light . i liked it .

valley of souls, 2019 , Colombia https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9619150/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Again, this is one of the films that makes you glad you watch mubi type films. A soulful wrenching film . A father looking for his sons bodies so he can bury them, have them at peace i suppose and say goodbye. the filming and acting is to me masterful.

State Funeral – Loznitsa - 2019
    Would not recommend watching the whole film; it is as tedious and repetitive as an actual funeral. It does, however, display something frightening about humanity. A wave of public grief, grim faces and despair, rousing speeches – “to his people he has left his genius, his heart of steel” – all for a mass murdering tyrant presiding over a system of repression and control. A terrifying glimpse into an authoritarianism based on the purest of lies.

Death will come and shall have your eyes – Leiva - 2019
    Slower than slow. A film about dying, but the film itself is mostly dead. There are two random stories in the middle that have nothing to do with the main narrative, and no real explanation for why they are there, but at least they give a relief from the snail-paced tedium of the main event. This may appeal to some people, but it said nothing new to me about its central theme.

The Hummingbird Project - Nguyen - 2019
    A story that illustrates the absurdity of modern capitalism; a millisecond can mean hundreds of millions of dollars, and can inspire an insanely ambitious project. Jesse Eisenberg just plays his usual angsty self but Stellan Skarsgard really plays against type as a hunched, socially awkward nerd savant. Salma Hayek breaks balls. A weird little story that kind of works, though not sure about the Mennonites' role in this….

Tetro – Coppola – 2009
    The choice of black and white for this film seems perverse; it is set in the vibrant, colourful city of Buenos Aires, which is drained of life. The whole father/son thing is melodramatic and overplayed, and the story never engages; it kind of limps along. It has Carmen Maura but it is no Almodóvar. Could have been good, but is just aimless and disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

fisgon wrote: »

The Hummingbird Project - Nguyen - 2019
    A story that illustrates the absurdity of modern capitalism; a millisecond can mean hundreds of millions of dollars, and can inspire an insanely ambitious project. Jesse Eisenberg just plays his usual angsty self but Stellan Skarsgard really plays against type as a hunched, socially awkward nerd savant. Salma Hayek breaks balls. A weird little story that kind of works, though not sure about the Mennonites' role in this….

Tetro – Coppola – 2009
    The choice of black and white for this film seems perverse; it is set in the vibrant, colourful city of Buenos Aires, which is drained of life. The whole father/son thing is melodramatic and overplayed, and the story never engages; it kind of limps along. It has Carmen Maura but it is no Almodóvar. Could have been good, but is just aimless and disappointing.

I enjoyed The Hummingbird Project too, more than I expected. The storyline didn't sound very interesting but the execution of it was very good, creating suspense in places I would never imagine. Very good performances by the 3 leads, especially Alexander Skarsgaard and Salma Hayek.

Tetro isn't amongst the best Coppola films but it's decent enough. I actually enjoyed the black and white cinematography, although your point about Buenos Aires is valid, figson. I thought it was a bit long, they could easily have edited 20 minutes and not lose the core of the story. Not everything works but I was impressed by the attempt to combine different themes and styles.

I also watched Under The Skin earlier today based on the very positive reviews and because I like Scarlett Johansson. Though I liked it, I will say that it's not for everyone. For me though there are many things to admire. There is a minimalist approach in Glazer's approach, from the drown out "black" intro, to the economy of dialogue. Glazer also makes great use of locations. And Mica Levi's soundtrack is absolutely fantastic and helps enhance the atmosphere of the film. The story is a bit obscure at times and that could turn some people off, but if you are willing to let this slide (or dive deep into the themes of the film) you can enjoy this.

• Advertisement

Under the skin – Glazer – 2013
    Profoundly weird and intriguing, right from the beginning. The guy with the facial deformity in the middle just adds to the deep strangeness, as well as the incongruity of Hollywood star Scarlett Johansson driving around Scotland in a white van picking up guys. Loses its way a little in the Highlands, a little like Scarlett, but still absolutely unique. One of the strangest things I have ever seen.

Old Joy – Reichart – 2008
    No idea what the point of this film is. It is very short, yet still feels slow. There is obviously an issue between the two men, but it is never made explicit. Some nice shots of Oregon countryside soon get old. A tiny, tiny story that is so slight it feels like it might blow away. An almost completely empty hour and ten minutes.

Two days in Paris – Delpy – 2007
    Charming and funny at times, the real problem with this film is that the central couple are obviously a bad fit and it is hard to care what happens to them. Neurotic and self-obsessed, they obviously make each other unhappy. Split up, stay together – who cares? There are some amusing American-in-Paris set pieces, but it is impossible to care about Jack and Marion.

Kala Azar – Rafa – 2020
    There is nothing post-apocalyptic about this film, despite the description on MUBI. In fact, there is almost nothing interesting about this film at all; it is incredibly static and flat, little dialogue, no action, no real themes or ideas of any sort. Hard to see how a decision was made to actually go ahead and make this film – why does it exist? Almost completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Under the skin – Glazer – 2013
    Profoundly weird and intriguing, right from the beginning. The guy with the facial deformity in the middle just adds to the deep strangeness, as well as the incongruity of Hollywood star Scarlett Johansson driving around Scotland in a white van picking up guys. Loses its way a little in the Highlands, a little like Scarlett, but still absolutely unique. One of the strangest things I have ever seen.

I actually watched "Under the Skin" only a few months ago, but like yourself, I found it profoundly weird, unique & difficult to connect with. So I'm glad it's arrived on Mubi, because I think it may be one those movies that requires a rewatch, which I will do so in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Finally finished The Pusher trilogy. All three are excellent.

Finally finished The Pusher trilogy. All three are excellent.

Agree, like a cross between the Sopranos and a Danish Trainspotting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really enjoyed Shiva Baby, black comedy/drama the lead is terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Agree, like a cross between the Sopranos and a Danish Trainspotting. :)

Good description!

A week of American Indies, of varying quality. Especially liked John Waters' crazy offering...

Shiva Baby - Seligman - 2020
    It starts off interesting, all set in a Jewish wake in NY city, but it gets repetitive and a little annoying. The story drags and doesn’t really develop, Danielle just gets more and more unbalanced and childish. The self-conscious Jewishness – “Bubbalah” this, “fakakta” that – is both charming and little overdone. Most characters are just annoying. A weird, at times tiresome mix.

Piercing – Pesce - 2018
    Curious, intriguing, table-turning weirdness, though the characters lack depth. Stylish and dark, though a little insubstantial.

Pvt Chat – Hozie – 2020
    Not entirely sure how we got to the situation at the end, but the journey there is an intriguing one. Ne’er do wells, cam girls, hipsters, people on the edge of the margins in Brooklyn, NY, a guy who seems to make a living playing games of chance online while living in a semi-hovel and indulging his fantasies on a cam site. Urban alienation, the difficulty of connection, some quite explicit scenes. A curious mix.

Cecil B Demented – Waters – 2000
    Various Wire actors show up, inevitably, in this movie set in Baltimore, by Baw’more native John Waters. Great fun, organized chaos; couldn’t be more meta; a film about people making a film about film-making. No attempt at realism, but that’s ok. Satanism, Stockholm Syndrome, Celibacy for Cinema. Demented by name, demented by nature.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I haven't really been keeping up with Mubi for a while, not due to what's on offer so much as a lack of motivation on my part.

Yesterday's offering (The 10th Victim), with its comparison to Battle Royale, prompted me to stick it on, and I'm glad I did. It's a decidedly odd watch, partly because of the weird dubbing, and partly because of the camply satirical tone. The visual aspect is strong, and there's a sufficiently potent bang of 60s fashion off it to give you a serious contact high. The script is mostly pretty good, although for me suffers a bit from what I might call Terminal Italianism - in that the protagonist is a self-regarding, brooding, obnoxious arsehole and the women are either neurotic or constantly seeking love and/or marriage from men like the self-regarding obnoxious arsehole lead.

Borg versus McEnroe - Pedersen - 2017

Didn’t believe Shia Leboeuf for a second as McEnroe; surely they could have got someone who actually looked like him. He is not at all convincing. However, the film centres more on Borg, and this portrayal is a little more effective. There is some insight into Borg’s complicated relationship with fame, but not enough. There is a great film to be made about this story, but this is not it.

😀😀😀

A Single Man – Ford – 2009

Moments of clarity, but not that engaging. Fundamentally, the desire to live triumphs over death, though there is always an ironic sting in the tale too. Colin Firth plays himself, as he did in Bridget Jones, and certainly doesn´t extend his range here. Julianne Moore is underused. Strangely we have American actors playing British, and British playing Americans. A mixed bag.

😀😀😀

Princess Cyd – Cone – 2017

A terrific film. Full of feminine energy, it is about family, memory, youth, getting stuck in a rut, loss, trying new things, ideas, literature, growing up, getting off, the power of friendship, the pull of family and the past. Cyd, the 16 year old central character, drives the story with her wit, openness, lack of tack, appetite for life. A real surprising pleasure.

😀😀😀😀😀

Yes – Potter – 2004

A film without any real flow. We are in London, then Belfast, suddenly we are in Havana, Beirut. It is a staccato narrative not helped by the stuttery visual effects. Characters are inconsistent, adding to the imbalance. The blank verse adds to a sense of unreality; not necessarily a bad thing, but the whole thing has the feel of a rambling experiment at times.

😀😀

the secret of the grain 2007 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487419/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 , charming, the old man, how people loved him , especially his stepdaughter.

• Advertisement

I had a couple of Christian Petzold films from the Now Showing section of Mubi that I wanted to see.

It turned out that his style and subject matters are appealing to me so I ended up watching the whole retrospective that's available in the library - 7 films and 3 shorts.

His films are slow paced in general and the stories focus on the characters and what they are going through - often though and especially in his later films there are elements of fantasy - the likes of "does this really happened or is it all in the protagonist's head?". There are also allegoric references: his latest film, Undine builds a story around water. Generally there isn't really much action, the devil is in the details and random coincidences can be important and the actors express themselves with their whole body, not just by the dialogue available to them,

Petzold also has actors that are regulars in his films: Nina Hoss especially is like a muse to him, having played in 5 of Petzold's films. Her characters are always intriguing. She gives at least 2 brilliant performances in Barbara and my favourite Petzold film, Phoenix. Franz Rogowski is another regular: he has starred in the last 2 films alongside Paula Beer and their chemistry is fantastic.

The tenth victim – Petri – 1965

Despite the idiotic ending, this is quite a lot of fun. Very sixties, a world where violence is controlled by a Hunger Games style hunt that channels people’s urge to kill. Very stylish, curious, though the story doesn’t always hang together. Marcello Mastroianni just plays his typical suave rogue we have seen many times before. The dubbing is weird, but the pace is fast and it is never boring.

😀😀😀

First cow – Reichardt – 2019

Kelly Reichardt does love the American wilderness. This film is set on the frontier in the 1800s, and centres on a group of people living hand to mouth in primitive conditions in Oregon. It is as slow as you would expect from Reichardt; the slowness doesn’t always add to the narrative. A small story about ambitions, dreams, a drive for survival in hostile conditions.

😀😀😀

Sibyl – Triet – 2019

This film is a bit of a mess, like its protagonist. The first half is full of these short flashbacks that break up the narrative and only serve to confuse. Once the story settles down there are intriguing aspects; the whole menage-a-trois on the film set has promise and there are some nice moments, many involving Sibyl’s sister. A mixed bag.

😀😀😀

Rubber – Dupieux – 2010

The strangest thing about this movie isn’t even the sentient, homicidal tyre, it’s the whole set up with the spectators and the question about what is real and what is fake that is truly bizarre. A lot of fun; intriguing, absurd, stupid, gruesome, never anything less than creative.

😀😀😀😀

The perfect Candidate , saudi arabia , 2019 . https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6971114/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 . Looking at culture and relations across family and community as a female doctor runs for local election. well worth watching

Watched quite a few films on Mubi the last week or so trying to catch-up on the 30 day "Now Showing" section - which I think I will fully do this week.

I enjoyed Borg vs McEnroe as I am a tennis fan, though in a way I think it was a missed opportunity for something really great. The story itself and especially the part of Borg's background was really interesting and the performances by the 2 leads and the always reliable Stellan Skarsgard were great. I think what held the film back was that the pace and editing were inconsistent throughout the film, making it hard to find high moments. Enjoyable nevertheless.

The 10th Victim was an interesting sci-fi. I was hoping that there would have been an option to watch the film in Italian with subtitles, but the Mubi Play Station app only had the English dubbed version, which I thought took something away from the film. I fully agree though with fisgon that it is a very stylish film and even when it isn't very interesting it is beautiful to watch

On the first hour of the highly acclaimed First Cow I was trying to figure out what I miss, as I found it very boring. This type of 19th century kind-of-western setting focusing on characters isn't my cup of tea to begin with and I found it very hard to stay with it. But it is a slow burner and a film that requires patience: on the second half the story is completed in a puzzle-like way, all the pieces fall into place. I will again agree with fisgon (honestly not doing it on purpose 😀 ) that not everything that happens add to the story - I feel that the film could have benefited from a tighter editing and could have been 15-20 minutes shorter without losing much of its essence.

Finally the documentary Chris The Swiss: The most interesting aspect of this documentary is the way it combines real life documenting and animation - the animation looks really cool and gives a bit of life to a story which If I'm honest didn't find all that interesting - it didn't add much to what I already knew about the conflict in the former Yugoslavia so I didn't really invested in the story of Christian Wurtenberg, the Chris of the title.

Also a heads-up for anyone that hasn't seen it, Diva, Jean Jacques Beineix visually stunning debut was added today - I haven't seen it in more than 2 decades but I remember being very impressed by it and would recommend it.

2019 portugese film , invisible life https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6390668/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 , a good film, a slight bit too long or formuliac. A shame , visutally great . had the makings of a great film . deffo worth watching though.

Freedom fields, 2018 docu on womens football in Libya . i like a good documentary and it's always a plus to record it in a country in flux and a culture i'm not familiar with. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6762296/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 . a good watch

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

With regards to "First Cow", it's important to remember who the director is. I've seen 2 Kelly Reichardt films recently "Old Joy" and "Meeks Cutoff", the latter of which is one of the most boring movies I've ever sat through. Old Joy isn't what you'd consider a barn-burner either. Patience is definetly a virtue when setttling down to watch one her movies.

Will watch First Cow in the next few days before it leaves, but if I don't enjoy I'll probably be better off avoiding her films in the future. She's got a lot of fans, just not sure I'm one of them.

Yes, definitely an acquired taste; she has a very definite style. I have been able to enjoy in a very limited fashion some of her films, but Old Joy was one of the most pointless things I have ever watched.

Thanks guys. Yes, first time watching a Kelly Reichardt film, so no point of reference.

This week's viewing included:

The Happiest Day In The Life of Olli Maki - a lovely story, based on true events. Shot in beautiful black and white, which gives it that 60s feeling. What makes it appealing for me is that the characters and actors that portray them are very likeable, especially Jarkko Lahti as Olli Maki. So even though the approach is fairly simplistic (and I'm not a fan of boxing) it was a joy to watch.

A Special Day (Una Giornata Particolare) - I meant to watch this for many years now, so was really happy to see it on Mubi and it didn't disappoint. A very interesting story brought to life by 2 exceptional performances by Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni. There is a theatrical quality in the story as it takes place in the 2 apartments of the central characters. Excellent commentary on fascism, homosexuality and the role of a woman/mother in that period of time - all these elements combined perfectly in the narrative, creating dramatic tension but never becoming overdramatic. I was particularly impressed by Sophia Loren: I haven't seen many of her performances and based on her role here and also in the recent film The Life Ahead, I feel that I have really missed out. A fantastic film, one of the best I have seen recently, I highly recommend it.

Pikadero - I saw this as Ben Sharrock's new film Limbo is out on cinemas now and I plan (or should I say planned) to watch it, so I thought to start with his critically acclaimed debut. I am not a fan of this low-key story-telling. There is a certain charm on the story and its 2 main characters (especially Joseba Usabiaga's Gorka), overall though this is a kind of non-event film and not in a good way.

Happy End - I am generally a fan of Michael Haneke's cinema, but I didn't get this at all. The film revolves around a dysfunctional family which is a good starting point. Unfortunately I didn't find any of the incidents in the film remotely interesting. The beginning (with Eve filming on her phone and giving a great introduction in a less-is-more narrative) was great but after that the film is drawn to various episodes that move the story very slowly but they are never really connect. One of the worse (if not the worst) film of the great Austrian auteur and a waste of a talented cast.

Finally Diva - Jean Jacques Beineix's impressive feature film debut. The previous time I saw it was in the big screen and it definitely benefits from it, though it is still a joy to watch on TV. The film is a thriller at heart: Jules, the main character being chased by various "bad" people as he's in possession of 2 cassettes with great value. What makes Diva special for me is the visual side of things. Great colours, settings and camera position, amazing sound design, the production is top notch for the whole duration of the film. Diva was later described as one of the first films of the "cinema du look" movement, that favored style over narrative (Luc Besson and Leos Carax being the other 2 big names of that movement). A superb film that I hope to see one more time in a cinema screen.

Irish Aris has already commented on a lot of these (totally stole my thunder 😀), but here they are. A certain three-star-ness about this week for me....

The happiest day in the life of Olli Maki – Kuosmanen – 2016

A story about humility and being happy with the simple life; very Finnish in its unassuming way. A charming but slight story; the black and white is obviously deliberate and adds to the effect, but any decision to film in monochrome when colour is available seems perverse. Still, quietly enjoyable.

😀😀😀

Jessica Forever – Poggi/ Vinel – 2018

Jessica; Queen Bee, goddess, Earth mother, cult leader. The film is stylish and looks great, but there is a lack of substance and context. We know almost nothing about the background society, but we do know that the orphans – who are the central characters – are mass murderers, so it is difficult to see them as heroes or victims. This is a fatal flaw, and means that the film has potential that it never reaches.

😀😀😀

Pikatero – Sharrock – 2015

The Basque melancholy and silence is a little hard to take in this film; Gorka, the central character, is more block of wood than human man. The deadpan is worthy of Kaurismaki. It is truly hard to see what Ane sees in him. The pace is gentle and it has some charm, though there is a more serious social point here about the destruction of the Spanish economy and society after the financial crash.

😀😀😀

Diva – Beineix – 1980

The film is a bit misnamed; the diva has only a minor role in the story. This is very stylish, but also messy; there is too much going on, with corrupt cops, pirate recordings, enigmatic artists, a prostitution ring. Likeable but chaotic.

😀😀😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All Hands on Deck - what a delight! You never know with modern French movies as so many of them are tedious or bland… so what a pleasure to discover one that’s quietly one of the great summer movies of them all. There’s definite hints of Eric Rohmer’s great beachside films (albeit riverside in this case), but Guillaume Brac’s film is lovingly modern and light-footed in its own winning way.

It’s all the joys, fights, frustrations and romance of a summer holiday distilled into a chill, easy-going 90 mins. Some great naturalistic performances, and the camera always stays focused on the people (although gotta say having been amateur canyoning, the tension he captures of someone anxious about making a jump is perfectly true to life). Could have happily spent at least another 90 minutes hanging out with these characters, even through their moments of infuriating stupidity :)

Advertisement