Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

getting the best photos of my work

• 01-04-2021 12:02pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to find out the best way to get a photo of my paintings.
    I have had some interest in prints of some of my work but most of the time I try to get a good photo I end up capturing light reflected from the canvas and the colours look wrong.
    Any advice out there?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Photographing 2D artwork such as paintings is an art form in itself and can difficult especially to get ones suitable for printing, honestly you either need professional equipment and/or a professional to do it. It is really difficult to do at home.
    You need a good (preferably DSLR) camera, tripod, neutral grey card for setting white balance, and off camera flashes with diffusers and stands (theyre big and dear) plus space to hang it and set up the camera at proper distance.

Getting all four corners at right angles edges straight etc is a major pain but can be fixed a bit in post editing. Reflections are tough, you need to diffuse the light with something and use less direct light.

I take pics outside on a cloudy day, natural light will keep true colours best, indoor lighting is yellow, can't be too sunny or you get glare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Are you trying to photgraph frwmed works behind glass ciderman? Id

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

If you are tying to photo behind glass you need a black drape behind you to stop reflections and glare?

Advertisement