Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream books

• 26-03-2021 4:47pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has any one ever heard of these guys?

They have contacted my Dad about publishing one of his stories which sounds great but it seems a bit strange to me as I can't see how they found out about him and I can't see much info out there about them.

My Dad has written some children's stories over the years. It was just stories he came up with off the top of his head and would tell us when we were kids and now the grandkids. About 5 years ago, I got him to write them down and I bundled them into 3 different e-books and put them on Amazon kindle store. Nobody ever actually bought one until a few months ago. I assumed this is how they found out about him, they bought the book, liked the story and got in contact with him. But he was telling me that they ask him was it published anywhere else, like Amazon so it doesn't seem like that was it.

Obviously, I'd be delighted if this was legit. It would be really cool to see one of his stories actually printed and being bought by people. However, I am worried about him being scammed or something dodgy going on.

I see they have a website https://shop.puppydogsandicecream.com/ but it says they are based in San Diego. Their contact details say Englewood Colorado. The address on their website is used by a lot of different companies. I thought that was suspicious at first but a company called ShipOffers seems to be owner of the building and it offers book printing and fulfillment services so they probably just use it as their business address.

The only writing I do is writing code :pac: so this whole area and publishing and all that is completely alien to me so hope you guys might know more about them or offer advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

A simple test is are they going to pay him or do they want him to pay them?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

The good: the books on their website do appear to be real books, most are available on amazon and some have very good positions in the bestsellers.

The bad: while some of the books are published under the name of the company, others are clearly self published. This is almost certainly not a “legitimate publisher’ who will pay for the work, but they are a self-publishing house who offer bundles of services to would-be authors.

In and of themselves, self publishing hubs are not a bad thing. They can give you good advice on publicity, clearly something your Dad is missing :-) However, them presenting themselves up front as a legitimate publisher and then asking for money later is an inherently deceptive approach and you should not touch them with a barge pole, nor is it worth looking to the US market if you haven’t sold anything into the domestic market.

My advice: have him respond, but the moment they start talking about services and costs, walk away. If he wants to take the publishing further there are some really good courses on offer from the likes of Irish Writers Centre and Writers Ink and so on.

Advertisement