Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Employer wants us back on site🙁

Options
  • 16-06-2021 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi All

looking for ppls views on this

Office worker working for a multinational pharma company in south east. I was office based and been remote working since COVID kicked off

Employer sent out a mail and wants us back on site.
    I’ve been on site 3-4 times since the pandemic began.
    However senior management are banging the ‘back to office’ drum full time.

I’m very disappointed that they are not following government guidance on holding back for another month or two.

I’ve expressed my discontent on the matter to my manager but are still insisting that we go bk to the office 5 days a week.

I’m not vaccinated and personally not comfortable sharing an office with 16 other ppl for 39 hrs a week ðŸ˜

Middle Managers and site manager have there own offices and the rest of us are lumped into various offices spread over the site

What should I do next ?

I’m not in a union so there’s no1 to fight my corner only myself.

Any options or ideas to delay going back ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Has your employer followed back to work safety protocols and put policies in place to protect employees when they return to their offices?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/22829a-return-to-work-safely-protocol/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Same here too.

But knew it had to end some time.

Looking at your situation, I would imagine you will have to wear masks when in the office?

Your low level so little risk and certainly less so than people in tourism and entertainment.

The country is either reopening or it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

I know from working for a multi national that the quantity and quality of work being carried out by most at home is rubbish. I’m not surprised companies are trying to get people back.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭wicklow_hunter

NIMAN wrote: »
    Same here too.

But knew it had to end some time.

Looking at your situation, I would imagine you will have to wear masks when in the office?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Your low level so little risk and certainly less so than people in tourism and entertainment.

The country is either reopening or it's not.

The government has guidelines that should be followed regardless of individual risk assessment
    All staff should continue to work from home to the greatest extent possible. The employer should develop and consult on any working from home policy in conjunction with workers and/or Trades Unions. Guidance on Working from Home is available from the HSA. Resilience and Recovery: the Path Ahead plan, continues to recommend that only essential workers or other designated workers should attend the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's the issue?

I've worked since the start all the way through dealing with the public etc every day.

What's the issue?

I've worked since the start all the way through dealing with the public etc every day.

Management are not following government guidelines. Leo was talking about august for office workers to return

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

If they want you back you'll have to go back. Just make sure that they have policies in place. Social distancing, wearing masks, hand sanitiser, flow paths but as it is a pharma company I'm sure they will. It had to happen at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭JamBur

Sorry if this seems harsh but in my opinion, this strikes of malingering. Im sure your employer will have all the appropriate precautions in place. They pay your salary, so you need to play be their rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

What's the issue?

Same here, my office never closed at all (even though job can easily be done from home).

It's was a case of go to work or find a new job.

I’m curious to know how much can I push bk b4 I over step the Mark.

I still believe that government guidance is there to protect ppl. I feel that we are just being bullied bk to the office irrespective of Heath risks by the powers that b within the organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Management are not following government guidelines. Leo was talking about august for office workers to return

But yet I've worked all the way through, doctors, nurses, bin men etc etc etc....
    Sure even driving lessons and tests.... Sure they're that close they be touching arms and sat right beside eachother.

If the office is huge and everyone had their own desk then I don't see the issue.

I still believe that government guidance is there to protect ppl. I feel that we are just being bullied bk to the office irrespective of Heath risks by the powers that b within the organisation

You sound like you are trolling us now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the issue is that some of us got too comfortable WFH.

It was nice to get up 5min before work, be home immediately after, no commute, not having to deal with irritating colleagues!

But we all knew it wasn't for keeps.
    And now the guys who pay the wages simply want us back in. Can't really argue.

Was good while it lasted .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

"Guidelines" - not laws.

I deal with a number of WFH people and its just not good.

Going forward and I can see WFH being on a case by case or part time basis.

As regards your safety, spare a though for people working in Dunnes and McDonalds etc. for the past 15 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

jackboy wrote: »
    I know from working for a multi national that the quantity and quality of work being carried out by most at home is rubbish. I’m not surprised companies are trying to get people back.

I think that's a big generalization. There has been no noticeable drop of productivity in my company and we all have the option of continuing to work from home once the pandemic is over.

It makes sense because pre-pandemic I could spend the entire day in the office and barely speak to anyone in the office because most of the people I deal with are off-site.

Although I appreciate it is different for other roles / industries.

zackory wrote: »
    "Guidelines" - not laws.

I deal with a number of WFH people and its just not good.

Going forward and I can see WFH being on a case by case or part time basis.

As regards your safety, spare a though for people working in Dunnes and McDonalds etc. for the past 15 months.

The funny thing is my boss middle manager is wfh for over a year. That was for personal reasons pre pandemic Different strokes for different folkes 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

You do not have a 'right' to work from home. If your employer wants you on site then that's up to them.

And then it's up to you to decide whether you want to work for them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

You're not working with the public, so temperature checks at the door, masks, screens, sanitizer, and learning to step back not forward when conversing with a colleague and you should be fine.

That's what we do at my work, we also serve about 20 members of the public and share 3 workstations amongst 6 of us on each day. We have been back open since last August (essential service). No one has gotten sick and we are in a county with high cases.

You have to have robust measures in place and there has to be a manager willing to be a pain in the hole to remind everyone about them. My cousin worked in a place didn't take it seriously enough, he caught covid from a customer but recovered.

16 people in an office you can manage keeping measures in place easily and the only danger is they are totally asymptomatic, no fever etc. I take temperatures of customers and colleagues all day one day a week, never had anyone enter the building not pass the temp check and as I said we didnt get any outbreaks. People also are very aware of the symptoms at this stage.

• Advertisement

I think the consensus is that you have no right to be indignant about being told to go back to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wexwitch

Not a personal dig at the OP 🙂

I've been back working full time, since April 2020, 40 hr weeks, temperature checks every few hours, mask on 8 hours a day. I work with about 30 people, we social distance as best as we can, not always possible.

I'm not vaccinated, I've had 2 covid tests in this time, both negative.

I think people are careful, respectful and fully aware of covid procedures etc. in the workplace.

You'll probably have to go back to the office, you will get used to it. It's probably a daunting thought at the moment, but once you are back a day or two it'll be like you never left.

Good luck OP and stay safe. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

What age group are you they are flying through the Vacination now and in the 30s in the area you are based . Let’s look at the risk . Employer follows guidelines and has everything in place . Staff depending on age a lot may be vaccinated at least first dose and a lot maybe even second dose . Working from home was never going to last it’s time now to come back to some semblance or normality and your employer wants you back on site . If not happy maybe consider your options for other employment if you are this concerned. How far can you push it . You can’t go back to work or seek other employment. Lots of us never worked from home and we are all ok . Majority didn’t contract covid due to taking precautions in the workplace. Your risk is low hence the company bringing you back . Get on with it or move ,

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

I have been in the office everyday since this whole thing began. While on one hand it would be nice to spend more time at home I just had to go with it. I guess nobody ever expected it would go on so long. My wife found it tough when I was in work and the schools were off with the kids at home and herself trying to do her own work also. I think if your employer asks you to come back to the office then you have to. I think some people have got very comfortable at home - I know a lot of people feel this way from speaking with others.

What's the issue?

I presume the issue is the OPs employer is not following government guidelines and not taking a risk-based approach to bring people back to work.

The OP feels they are rightly at a greater risk of contracting COVID as a direct result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

Been working on site at large multinational nearly daily since April last year.
    Protocols are in place with reduced capacity canteen, office spaces, weekly antigen testing for certain staff and masks at all times.
    It's totally become the new normal now.

alibab wrote: »
    What age group are you they are flying through the Vacination now and in the 30s in the area you are based . Let’s look at the risk . Employer follows guidelines and has everything in place .
    OP says this is not the case
    Staff depending on age a lot may be vaccinated at least first dose and a lot maybe even second dose .
    Maybe, maybe not.
    Lots of us never worked from home and we are all ok . Majority didn’t contract covid due to taking precautions in the workplace. Your risk is low hence the company bringing you back . Get on with it or move ,

I assume your employer put measures in place? The OP's employer is not, according to his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The funny thing is my boss middle manager is wfh for over a year. That was for personal reasons pre pandemic Different strokes for different folkes 🀔

Where are you working?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I think I'd survive going back and I think those closest to me would too but i simply don't want to. But instead of telling them i don't want to, I will just tell them that if the chief medical officer of the country is advising me to stay home, I'm staying home and if you want you can fire me, I'll enjoy taking you to court. Might not win, but the papers will have a field day telling everyone about the employer who forced their employees to unnecessarily go back to the office during a pandemic which may or may not be over right now.

Maybe you're the resistance the company needs right now OP. If I were you, I simply wouldn't go back. They're not going to drag you there. I would just let them know you're looking into it or something. They'll get that you're reluctant. As long as you're getting the job done I don't think they can fire you.

It'd be really interesting to see any legal cases which actually come out of this. One side arguing they do a better job at home, the other side saying they simply want them on site. I wonder what the legal situation is there.

Advertisement