Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great British Sewing Bee

Options
  • 29-01-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭

I know there are only a few of us but I love this! And its coming back soon with new host Joe Lycett.

I love him so really looking forward to this. Am I alone? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Started last night. Loving Joe Lycett as the new host. Had to make a wiggle dress in 3 hours - I couldn't even get into one of those in 3 hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Nearly forgot about it! Missed the first 15 mins but caught the rest.

I know diddly squat about sewing (I can just about sew a button on if I absolutely have to) but I love these programmes!

I had never heard of Joe Lycett before last night - I'm sure he'll grow on me, but I miss Claudia I must say.

Some fanatastic sewing in last night's - I haven't seen many of these before but the standard seemed to be very high for week 1. Except for that crotch pocket :eek:

O/T - Now if they'd only bring back the Pottery Throw-Down :(

There you are HeidiHeidi - knew this would be your programme :)
    I love Joe - not a fan of Claudia on anything TBH
    Some good stuff last night - a couple of shockers too

Yep definitely need to resurrect the pottery one and the interior design challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Enjoyed the show

Interesting show. Sadly, the winner in Ep. One got eliminatd in Ep Two. She was my fave. I like the presenter. He gets up to some silly antics.

• Advertisement

70's week! Loved some of the dresses at the end - would wear a couple of them myself!

Delighted my favorite won! Really enjoyed this series. Loved the presenter. Don't know anything about him. He comes across as a comedian but presents the show very efficiently.

Delighted my favorite won! Really enjoyed this series. Loved the presenter. Don't know anything about him. He comes across as a comedian but presents the show very efficiently.
    All of this!

I've loved Juliet throughout the series, she was just a beacon of calm and style. And oh my, that final ballgown - I'd pay serious money for that!!

Have to say I loved Leah's dress that she was wearing herself for the final - I was wondering if it was something she designed herself (I presume it was!).

Great series overall.

And yes, I'd never heard of Joe before this, but he was perfect for the series - I hope he's kept on for the next one.

Now - WHEN ARE THEY BRINGING BACK THE POTTERY :mad::mad:

Joe would do very well presenting any Reality TV show.

Just noticed on the Maura and Daithi show, Angeline Murphy from the Great British Sewing Bee has been giving sewing demonstrations. She must be a past winner or have scored highly in the Sewing Bee in the past. She has a Northern Irish accent.

If anyone is interested here is a link with information re Angeline:
    https://thegreatbritishsewingbeelive.com/angeline-murphy/

• Advertisement

Sewing Bee returning soon!!!

The ad didn't give a date, but delighted to know it'll be on.

(And they did bring the pottery throwdown back!!! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sewing Bee returning soon!!!

The ad didn't give a date, but delighted to know it'll be on.

(And they did bring the pottery throwdown back!!! :))
    Love this show and pottery throwdown!
    Will defo post about it when back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Can’t wait, love this show!
    Did some sleuthing and there’s Back in Time to the Corner shop series finishing on Tuesday on BBC2 in the 8pm time slot, so I'm hoping the following week might be the start date... but I’m not a detective! :D

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Can’t wait, love this show!
    Did some sleuthing and there’s Back in Time to the Corner shop series finishing on Tuesday on BBC2 in the 8pm time slot, so I'm hoping the following week might be the start date... but I’m not a detective! :D

Not starting next Tuesday anyway :( as I said, I’m no detective!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I saw something online about 22nd April but can't find it now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I saw something online about 22nd April but can't find it now.

Ad has just been on BBC 2. 22nd it is :)

Hurray!

(Can someone please remind me nearer the time? Can't set Sky to record more than a week in advance, no way I'll remember left to my own devices!)

And it’s on BBC 1. Is that a move? Nearly sure it was on BBC2 before, or maybe I’m misremembering

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is he the YT internet sensation camp guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Yes, used to be on bbc2 I’ think at 8 pm but back next Wednesday 22nd BBC1 at 9pm

• Advertisement

Yes, used to be on bbc2 I’ think at 8 pm but back next Wednesday 22nd BBC1 at 9pm

Taking over from masterchef it looks like

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is he the YT internet sensation camp guy?
    No he is the very funny standup Joe lycett/Hugo boss :)

His book of complaint letters - parsnips, buttered is hilarious

Just a reminder this starts on BBC1 tonight! :)

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Just a reminder this starts on BBC1 tonight! :)

Can't wait! Him indoors (I'm still working, he's not :D) will be less impressed! :P

I managed to remember, all by myself :)

Patrick's 'tache..... :(

Enjoyed that. Good mix of nice and annoying people.
    Wasn’t really to my taste but delighted the person who won garment of the week wasn’t the person who won most rounds.
    Joe Lycett needs to stay away from people’s garments! You could see one of the guys wasn’t impressed that Joe had ripped his shirt dress creation, even though the judges blamed him for making it too narrow, he continued to give Joe daggers
    Want to pull out my sewing machine but my sewing table has been turned in to a work station at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What do they do with the clothes that are made on the show, I wonder?

If I was the model, I'd certainly want to keep some of those outfits. The yellow tea dress was beautiful. I also liked the grunge-style one (showing my age there!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

I really enoyed that last night! (although slightly distracted trying to watch it while following a SHEEP quiz reveal, and trying to get ready to go to work all at the same time - may have to rewatch today!)

The lady who was sent home didn't even seem to be trying! (sez she who can barely sew on a button, mind you)

The tea dress that had to be let out at the back, in the mad luminous tiedye print was GORGEOUS! I couldn't see what their problem was with the bits put in at the back, although the fabric matching was so good at the front that it did look a bit different from the back!

That youngfella trying to bluff that his unfinished sleeves were intentional (whether trying to be ironic or not, I'm not sure) has had his card marked by Esme!! He'd better put in a good show next time, I'd say.

I loved the winner of the transformation challenge, he showed proper imagination with that (still identifiably two shirts, but still somehow a dress) - that round always properly boggles my mind, I haven't the tiniest scintilla of artiness about me so what they manage to dream up is always fascinating.

Roll on next week!

• Advertisement

Loved ep1.
    Not sure who I liked the best it's a bit early to say.
    The garment of the week was a great choice.
    I can't warm to the guy who won the first two rounds...just seemed a tad cocky.
    The young guy Alex is a chancer he made so many mistakes, can't see him lasting long.
    Love joe lycett as host he is a great fit.
    The two judges are also excellent.

Advertisement