Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi driver got lost then tried to charge more

• 26-10-2018 3:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25

Got a taxi recently, we agreed a price of €100 before we set off. I paid by card so have proof of payment. Driver got lost a few times but got there in the end but he wanted another €60 off me. I refused and got out and left. He reported me to the Gardai for this. Guard rings me to go in a make a statement which I did. Showed them my bank statement confirming I paid.

Surely it's not my fault he got lost?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doesn't matter if he got lost, he knew the destination and had agreed a price?
    were the gardai happy with your explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You should be ok. It's his fault he got lost, unless you were giving him directions?

See how much the estimated fare is here

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,324 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's the taxi driver's problem once the price was agreed in advance. I really don't know what sort of story he spun to the Gardai, they should have told him it is a civil matter, given that you paid him the pre-agreed fare.

Frankly I'm amazed that a Garda bothered to sit down and take a statement from you for such a trivial matter. How long after the event did the Garda phone you to go in and make a statement? I'd strongly suspect the Garda and the taxi driver are drinking buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Was the taxi meter running? What did it read at the end?

What would the fare on the taximeter have been If he hasn’t gotten lost?

What if anything was put in writing before the journey began?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Did this taxi driver not have one of those google tom tom devices to direct him to the destination, and anyway he should have known fastest easiest route, it is his job to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

coylemj wrote: »
    It's the taxi driver's problem once the price was agreed in advance. I really don't know what sort of story he spun to the Gardai, they should have told him it is a civil matter, given that you paid him the pre-agreed fare.

Frankly I'm amazed that a Garda bothered to sit down and take a statement from you for such a trivial matter. How long after the event did the Garda phone you to go in and make a statement? I'd strongly suspect the Garda and the taxi driver are drinking buddies.

Your strong suspicion is way off id imagine. Prob a young Garda unsure and covering their arse ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Got a taxi recently, we agreed a price of €100 before we set off. I paid by card so have proof of payment. Driver got lost a few times but got there in the end but he wanted another €60 off me. I refused and got out and left. He reported me to the Gardai for this. Guard rings me to go in a make a statement which I did. Showed them my bank statement confirming I paid.

Surely it's not my fault he got lost?

Where did he come up with the €60 figure ?.
    For that money he must have gone into the next count and got lost. Can't figure why the garda called you. Taximen mistake,I'd be telling him to PFO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Desiree Burch

There was no meter in the car. The guard rang me during the week. This happened in June! Guard says it’s uo to the super as to what happens and then asks me would I be willing pay the fare. He then says you might get an adult caution if it doesn’t go my way. The driver wouldn’t listen to my directions instead he was using his phone but to no avail.

Absolutely ridiculous. Waste of everyone’s time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

There was no meter in the car. The guard rang me during the week. This happened in June! Guard says it’s uo to the super as to what happens and then asks me would I be willing pay the fare. He then says you might get an adult caution if it doesn’t go my way. The driver wouldn’t listen to my directions instead he was using his phone but to no avail.

Its a requirement of any taxi driver to have a meter in his car end of story. If this is the case, it would need to be reported to the taxi regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

at this point i'd be making an official complaint to the taxi regulator.

cant have this kind of carry on happening.

the fact you prepaid the fare should be enough to show you are in the right.

I would guess the taxi man & garda are related parties. Ridiculous that the guard would effectively 'threaten' you with an adult caution if you don't pay the fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I had an issue a few years ago with a taxi driver overcharging. Reported it online (Cant remember, but think it was to Dept.of Transport), painless process, received a refund payable by postal order. They had called in driver, interviewed him and advised him to make the refund.

Whilst you didn't pay the extra, you should still register the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would report that to the taxi regulator

Op. Was it a taxi or a Hackney, not that it makes any difference. You both agreed the price,you prepaid and the clown got lost,now he's trying to scam(bully) you out of €60. Next stop for you is the taxi regulator. You have nothing to fear here,the copper shouldn't even be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hack12

(1) If it is a taxi the driver and passenger agree a rate and are required to have it written down and signed by the driver and passenger. Metre is to run and if below agreed price metre applies.

(2) If hackney rate agreed and driver to have it noted prior to driving.

It was a taxi at a rank.

Thanks for the replies, saves me a lot of worrying.

There was no meter in the car.
    It was a taxi at a rank.

And yet the cops offered you an adult caution because you refused to pay for the driver's mystery tour?

This stinks to high heaven. If a PSV does not have a meter then its a hackney...

Hackneys and limousines: Drivers may not charge more than the agreed fare and must give customers a written receipt.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/faqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Hack12 wrote: »
    (1) If it is a taxi the driver and passenger agree a rate and are required to have it written down and signed by the driver and passenger. Metre is to run and if below agreed price metre applies.

(2) If hackney rate agreed and driver to have it noted prior to driving.

There is no requirement to write it down and sign beforehand, you can agree verbally. In fact if you agree a fare and the driver attempts to charge you more (including whatever may be on the meter) the driver commits a criminal offence, if I were the OP I'd be reminding the Guard of this fact.

The only exception to this where the driver can charge more than agreed is when adding a credit card charge, soiling charge or any toll fees.

The driver told me he wanted another €60 but told the guard he wanted another €100.

I don’t understand it.

It wasn’t a hackney it was a taxi at a rank. He was the third one I went to as the first few drivers didn’t want to travel that far.

The only reason the guard got in touch with me was because I went into get passport signed and recognized the name. He rings and says “I’ve been looking for you for 6 months”, like I murdered someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The driver told me he wanted another €60 but told the guard he wanted another €100.

I don’t understand it.

It wasn’t a hackney it was a taxi at a rank. He was the third one I went to as the first few drivers didn’t want to travel that far.

The only reason the guard got in touch with me was because I went into get passport signed and recognized the name. He rings and says “I’ve been looking for you for 6 months”, like I murdered someone.

Tell the garda to cop on he's not bloody private investigator don't pay any money to the taxi driver either. Report it to the taxi regulator and I'd also be reporting it to the garda ombudsmen as he's basically threatening you with an adult caution. It smacks of the taxi man knows the garda there's no way a run of the mill garda would remember your name after a week never mind 4 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

GM228 wrote: »
    There is no requirement to write it down and sign beforehand, you can agree verbally. In fact if you agree a fare and the driver attempts to charge you more (including whatever may be on the meter) the driver commits a criminal offence, if I were the OP I'd be reminding the Guard of this fact.

The only exception to this where the driver can charge more than agreed is when adding a credit card charge, soiling charge or any toll fees.

As I understand it, under the 2015 regulations it is the case that there is a requirement to write it down.

If the credit card payment was made in advance, that would certainly count for something.

Anyway, the meter should have been running.

I think the OP needs to be very careful here and understand the situation in detail. If the taxi driver really wants to go on with this, then a complaint is worth considering.

I don't see much point in a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman. The Garda is perfectly entitled to pursue a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Could the credit card payment be seen as a deposit if there is no written agreement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If I was you I'd would be willing to take this up in court and I would also be onto the taxi regulator and onto the.super of the Garda asking why the Garda are involved in a civil matter.

Taxi driver agreed the fare and is an idiot now throwing his toys out of the pram. He should get on with life and learn not to give low taxi fares out. Clown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

There are so much chancers when it comes to taximen. We should really have Uber available in this country. They wouldn't survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

TallGlass wrote: »
    If I was you I'd would be willing to take this up in court and I would also be onto the taxi regulator and onto the.super of the Garda asking why the Garda are involved in a civil matter.

Taxi driver agreed the fare and is an idiot now throwing his toys out of the pram. He should get on with life and learn not to give low taxi fares out. Clown.

This plus several million, can't understand why people get so narky when I tell them it'll be whatever the meter says and if someone from their neck of the woods does it half price then ring him up to come get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

There are so much chancers when it comes to taximen. We should really have Uber available in this country. They wouldn't survive.

Uber use their own meter app on a mobile phone, not certified, they don't use a set price for each kilometer traveled, they increase the price 2x 3x when its busy, you have to have an account with CC set up, but sure let's get an Uber.

Edit BTW Uber are in Ireland but regulations prevent them inventing their own rates unless its an Uber black

Taxis have a meter, he did not (post #9) ....
    There was no meter in the car.

... that makes him a hackney. If even that, did you see a PSV plate on the outside? Hard to see how he could stand at a rank with taxi livery and no meter unless he is a complete fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I find it bizarre that he had a cardreader and not a meter.

I have never been in a taxi that had a card reader , they're few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Edit BTW Uber are in Ireland but regulations prevent them inventing their own rates unless its an Uber black
    AFAIK, any driver can set their own rates once those rates don't exceed the fares set by the NTA. Some taxi firms have offered discounted rates. The reason Uber don't operate here is because they can't get away with using unlicensed drivers here, unlike the UK/US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is very suspicious

A taxi without a meter isn't a taxi and you should get straight back out again. However, it may not have been running or in the mirror or something like that.

Most taxis are starting to have card readers now, as its a requirement for new airport permits. Still a pain though cos cabdrivers do like their cash. They should make it like London where its a rule - black cabs must have card readers.

• Advertisement

A taxi on a rank with no meter. I can't see a hack being allowed even slow down passing a rank,never mind pick up on one. Im getting very sceptical about this story.

Advertisement