Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

pauldry wrote: »
    All the extremes get moderated in the end....bar 2010 didnt.

So prob similar to this Tuesday 3 to 6c and wintry in Ulster

Maybe just maybe the corrections will be favorable this time.

If we lived 10 day in the future we would be praying for the snow to be gone at this stage. Seems like every chart back to the beginning of the year has had snow showing 10 days out.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

GFS 12z has a slider snow event for the southern half of Ireland next Wednesday! To be taken with a pinch of salt of course, even if it verifies the location will move with each run.

That would brings tears, some of joy and some of sorrow depending on location :D

144-574UK.GIF?24-12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Villain wrote: »
    That would brings tears, some of joy and some of sorrow depending on location :D

144-574UK.GIF?24-12

This comment is aimed at me isnt it! ;);)

Look at which part of coastal Wicklow the Snow/Rain boundary line runs through! LOL :D

Actually, hold on, I'm misunderstanding the chart legend! I'm in the snow zone, just the lowest precipitation rate zone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the main problem since 1st of January is the Atlantic is far too strong and is refusing to go to sleep, this is why this winter has almost entirely been very mild for us, with the exception of two or three days so far.

The signs of an increasing positive NAO into early February goes to show that the Atlantic could possibly strengthen keeping the westerly driven systems going for the forseeable future.

GFS is currently updating, lets see if there is any hope of an easterly in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Villain wrote: »

144-574UK.GIF?24-12

Queue liberal references to a formerly popularly referenced "snow shield"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

68231-ADE-C76-D-4-D41-B22-C-8-D3-F8-BD592-EE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Still bright at 5pm and not freezing cold

Not a bad day imo ........would welcome more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Back to double digits in Cork City today anyway. Feels chilly though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    All the extremes get moderated in the end....bar 2010 didnt.

So prob similar to this Tuesday 3 to 6c and wintry in Ulster

What about 2018? It was upgrade after upgrade from the third week of February onwards for the most part when many of us including myself were doubting upgrades to some extreme charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »

The signs of an increasing positive NAO into early February goes to show that the Atlantic could possibly strengthen keeping the westerly driven systems going for the forseeable future.
    The NAO is only a mathematical measure of the difference in pressures between points in the north Atlantic
    As such looking at where it's at in 2 or 3 weeks is also a variation of an FI theme
    So I wouldn't get *that* hung up about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Next week is looking like it could be good if cold and snow is your thing. Nothing too frigid and looking marginal but if we got some upgrades it could be very good indeed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

Time will tell ;-/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looks certain now that from late Saturday, we are entering easily the coldest period of this winter so far. We are looking at least 7 cold days ahead. We are likely to see alot of weather over those 7 days where anything is possible, cold rain, sleet, graupal, wet snow and possibly night time dry snow.

We will also see some sun, frost, possible thunder and lightning in one or two lucky places and plenty of wind with a severe wind chill.

Right now it's looking mostly marginal for snow, some places likely to do well while others not so much. This is certainly no December 2010, Beast From The East or Storm Emma, but seeing how crap this Winter has been so far, we have to take this as a significant change and hope that some upgrades will come our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some beefy snow showers with a risk of thunderstorms around Monday night and more widespread on Tuesday. Certainly disruptive for the western half of the country. The east always seeing less of the showers.

gfs-0-108.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Poor day in Dublin, very misty and drizzly till it went away in the afternoon with a bit of sun. I had to stand outside in that muck for 15 minutes.

Sunday and most of Monday looks very marginal, lots of cold rain and sleet.

Tuesday has the potential for some snow across the country, possible dusting in Dublin and Leinster.

126-574UK.GIF?24-12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Meanwhile in the States , The production of " The Day After the Day After Tomorrow" begins...
    gfsna-1-144_rib0.png

as always United States gets the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I was reading Niagara Falls is partially frozen. Everyone seems to be getting a Winter except us.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

huby-harton-does-southern-comfort-irish-style.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

That is some frigid air heading for the United States!!! The east coast there and the mid west get a proper winter.

Meanwhile over on this side of the pond, what do I hear? Tick Tock, Tick Tock.........winter is slowly slipping away from us. We're 2/3 of the way through now. The grass growth is like what you would see in April. There is a bird singing outside my window now (not kidding!).

Another evening of model watching and most of it is muck. I'll give it another fortnight before I call time on this winter folks but I swear I can already hear the dulcet tones of the fat lady..…....

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

as always United States gets the real deal.

14 degrees and lashing rain here in NY today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest GFS shows the cold period starting Sunday with increasingly wintry showers and snow by Monday evening particularly in the west. Turning disruptive there overnight and widespread snow showers on Tuesday and, following right on from that, the real risk of various frontal snow events.

A big change from the winter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

If I could walk home from work while it is snowing I would consider that a win for this Winter. I have to salvage what is left of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Lucreto wrote: »
    If I could walk home from work while it is snowing I would consider that a win for this Winter. I have to salvage what is left of the winter.

Could be skiing home by Thursday ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

NMB wrote: »
    Could be skiing home by Thursday ðŸ˜႒

He could also be going by canoe , or could be scortched in 15c sunshine..

The GFS precipitation charts currently showing barely any precipitation for my area in South Meath after Tuesday. Looks like plenty of sleet and snow showers across the west and north right into the following weekend.

I'm sure these charts are underplaying the precipitation away from the west and north after Tuesday/Wednesday.

The Irish Sea looks to be a snow machine but those unfortunately will be all heading for north Wales and down into western and central England.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

The Irish Sea looks to be a snow machine but those unfortunately will be all heading for north Wales and down into western and central England.

There is only one option then.

fan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

They chose Brexit not us :p no more taking our weather!

I agree with the above photo, what must be done must be done, hard bor....fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lucreto wrote: »
    I was reading Niagara Falls is partially frozen. Everyone seems to be getting a Winter except us.

Posted this y'day...

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/22/us/niagra-falls-frozen-trnd/index.html

My extended family in Nova scotia and Newfoundland are now under 20 feet of snow. They have flags out to show they are OK... They are well used to this.

I told them about the desire here for snow and they said to tell you that :D

Advertisement