Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Port tunnel average speed cameras operational?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    no SCADA is not a protocol. Various protocols are used for SCADA.
    I suggest before you make such stupid comments that you educate yourself

How would you simplify it to explain, quickly, that it doesn't mean that the cameras are automatically GPS synced and verified just because your kit is, then?

Without getting insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

everytime i turn my garmin on it sync via GPS and timing is set, regardless of location. it's not difficult to sync time off GPS and that's as accurate as you are going to get.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

everytime i turn my garmin on it sync via GPS and timing is set, regardless of location. it's not difficult to sync time off GPS and that's as accurate as you are going to get.

For an average speed system, as exists in other countries, you need to prove beyond all doubt that the synchronisation actually happened and that the time on the photos is actually synchronised.

That is likely beyond the capabilities of the existing system. Add to that the problem that average speed cameras are not covered in any legislation (whereas radar/laser/lidar systems are) and you've got no prosecutions going to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

beauf wrote: »
    Seems to be daily accidents on the M50 now, often a couple in the same day. Its become normal.

Same with enforcement. Its got the point where seeing a Garda, pull over someone for bad driving, speeding etc. is a very rare sight.

Perhaps they have stats to say other wise. But their visibility to me is none existent. They need to raise their profile. Thats true of the whole city not just the M50.

People don't know how to use the M50! If they drove on the Autobhan they would last about 2 minutes! Proper enforcement of not staying on the middle lane for the WHOLE duration of your journey and average speed enforcement would do wonders for that motorway! The UK have successfully started a campaign to stop middle lane hogging as it upsets the general flow and its working from what I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is indicative of the laziness of legislators in this country, who have passed no legislation for several months at this stage, that the necessary rules were not put in place for average speed enforcement when this tunnel opened.
    They should also have an automatic camera enforced fine for ****s who can't be bothered to put on their lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hard to receive a signal form a global positioning satellite when you're deep under the ground though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hard to receive a signal form a global positioning satellite when you're deep under the ground though.

*resists resorting to expletives*

The cameras are on gantries. Outside. In the open air.

ED E wrote: »
    *resists resorting to expletives*

The cameras are on gantries. Outside. In the open air.

Not the ones that are used to display speeds on the boards inside the tunnel, which is what everyone has been talking about.

Not that its relevant, as they would be using a single GPS timing unit in this hypothetical scenario, which would have an antenna, above ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

L1011 wrote: »
    Not the ones that are used to display speeds on the boards inside the tunnel, which is what everyone has been talking about.

Not that its relevant, as they would be using a single GPS timing unit in this hypothetical scenario, which would have an antenna, above ground.

Or they could use ntp, and get a signal from Trinity College.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Or they could use ntp, and get a signal from Trinity College.
    Even commercially available stand-alone GPS based time servers use NTP for clients to synchronize with them, it isn't unique to synchronizing time over the Internet. Usually the time servers themselves are also connected to one or more Internet based NTP servers to act as a sanity check and potential backup in case the GPS receiver fails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement