Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to get a generator for domestic use

Options
  • 18-05-2020 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'd like to purchase a generator for the house, in case our electricity goes. we are in the country side and have a large garage in which to store it, so no issues with that side of this.

I am looking for advice on where to purchase a suitable generator, just to get more than one price. I know our local Co-Op store is selling them, but they can be on the pricey side, so i though it might be worth shopping around.

any advice would be great.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

They come up in Lidl from time to time and are grand for occasional domestic use.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Meursault

RINO87 wrote: »
    They come up in Lidl from time to time and are grand for occasional domestic use.

Thanks for the response. I would need something bigger to be honest. I am looking to power the house, the well, heating pump, etc. I could be wrong, but I am guessing the Lidl generators wouldn't be powerful enough, although I am sure they are decent for their size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yeah thats waaaaaaaaaay more than they would handle! think most of the lidl ones are about 2-3kW. Grand for a few lights and fridge and kettle but that would be it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

If you want a generator that will reliably carry the full domestic load it will be far bigger than you imagine you need. If you want to be able to run an electric shower, while still being able to run the heating, well pump, use a fast boil kettle, maybe the oven/hob, you're probably heading towards 15-20 kVA

Plus it will need to be hooked up by a RECI electrician. Its vital that the house disconnects from the mains before the generator comes on line.

Unless you have very specific circumstances, its probably not worth it. Power supply in Ireland is generally quite reliable. If you just want to be able to plug in a kettle or perhaps the well pump, you may get away with a small "suitcase" generator.

If you want a generator that will reliably carry the full domestic load it will be far bigger than you imagine you need. If you want to be able to run an electric shower, while still being able to run the heating, well pump, use a fast boil kettle, maybe the oven/hob, you're probably heading towards 15-20 kVA

Plus it will need to be hooked up by a RECI electrician. Its vital that the house disconnects from the mains before the generator comes on line.

Unless you have very specific circumstances, its probably not worth it. Power supply in Ireland is generally quite reliable. If you just want to be able to plug in a kettle or perhaps the well pump, you may get away with a small "suitcase" generator.

Thanks for the update. Yes of course, I wouldn't be attempting this by myself. I spoke with an electrician and he recommended a suitable generator.

My question is more around where i could pick one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Try Careys tool hirein Albert Quay, I know that they hire them out, if they can't help they will be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If you're talking about substantial power requirements and installation costs, have you considered PV solar panels and battery storage?

A generator requires regular maintenance, there are complications with long-term storage of fuel, etc. Most of the time it's a dead weight, whereas PV can always generate some power for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, I don't understand your need for a generator unless you are living off-grid.
    Why go to the expense and trouble.?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

These guys deliver:

https://ige.ie/generators/

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Like others have said a big outlay with on going maintenance costs.

http://www.michaelgallweygenerators.ie

• Advertisement

Jeez, those prices are fairly steep alright. I'll need to re-assess whether this is a necessity or not.

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Meursault wrote: »
    Jeez, those prices are fairly steep alright. I'll need to re-assess whether this is a necessity or not.

Thanks for the advice!

It's not.

Question has come up before many times. You may lose electricity for maybe a day or two a year, worst case.
    Are you really willing to spend thousands on equipment that's going to gather dust 99.9% of the time?

Buy some LED torches and a camping stove. If you're really into it, buy a big USB powerbank and keep it charged somewhere.
    You're better off booking the whole family into a hotel until the power comes back.

On the flip side, if you want to spend cash, a solar setup with battery would be a decent investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It's not.

Question has come up before many times. You may lose electricity for maybe a day or two a year, worst case.
    Are you really willing to spend thousands on equipment that's going to gather dust 99.9% of the time?

Buy some LED torches and a camping stove. If you're really into it, buy a big USB powerbank and keep it charged somewhere.
    You're better off booking the whole family into a hotel until the power comes back.

On the flip side, if you want to spend cash, a solar setup with battery would be a decent investment.

Definitely. Unless they’re living on a Caribbean Island and preparing for life with hurricane season then the OP’s idea makes absolutely no sense. And I say that as someone who’s home has been without power on average for 7-8 days a year since I’ve moved in. Suitcase generator is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Thanks for the advice!

What I did was get a 1kv Genny from lidl, it'll run the deep freeze and the normal fridge freezer.
    It'll also be able to charge a few phones and other small items all at the same time.

As for everything else.. get a gas camping stove from Aldi .
    They stock ones very similar to this every year. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UALXY6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_kTUXEbPMGE4XW.

That'll look after your cooking and boiling.

Just make sure that you have a cylinder of gas and the appropriate gas regulator.

(lots of BBQs etc come with propane regulators, but we generally use butane which has a different regulator)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What about something quite small and solar powered, does such a thing exist? I'd be interested in this, just for things like camping and in case of emergency. Searched but couldn't find anything except substantial ones.

s1ippy wrote: »
    What about something quite small and solar powered, does such a thing exist? I'd be interested in this, just for things like camping and in case of emergency. Searched but couldn't find anything except substantial ones.

If your leccy is going to go suddenly it's likely to happen at night or during a storm.
    Solar power is largely a gimmick unless you're at large scale and you have batteries.
    A standard phone charger is 10W, and a 10W @ 5V panel is the size of an a4 page.

There's no way you'll get any useable power from it unless you have direct sunlight. Uncommon in Ireland and non existant if you're leccy is cut by a storm.

The same money would buy you a decent power bank which would definitely keep phones charged (so long as you remember to keep it charged :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Unless there is some sort of critical appliances in the house, such as medical equipment, getting set up with a generator is more money and hassle than it is worth.

Grid power is very reliable. How many times in the last year has your power been out for more than 4 or 5 hours?

A lot of the time these notions of getting generators are just that - bullocks notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Unless there is some sort of critical appliances in the house, such as medical equipment, getting set up with a generator is more money and hassle than it is worth.

Grid power is very reliable. How many times in the last year has your power been out for more than 4 or 5 hours?

A lot of the time these notions of getting generators are just that - bullocks notions.

Hence the petrol powered 1kv lidl Genny. It's keep the steaks safe and the phone going.

A gas cylinder and attached camping stove will keep the food cooked and water boiled.

As for water, if you're on a well, just fill up the bath and use that to flush the jack's. (Keep an eye on the weather forum for storm warnings)

A few bottles of water will see you thru the day without power.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Hence the petrol powered 1kv lidl Genny. It's keep the steaks safe and the phone going.

A gas cylinder and attached camping stove will keep the food cooked and water boiled.

As for water, if you're on a well, just fill up the bath and use that to flush the jack's. (Keep an eye on the weather forum for storm warnings)

A few bottles of water will see you thru the day without power.

Put the expensive fridge stuff into the freezer, and the cheap freezer stuff into the fridge and book into the nearest hotel with lights on :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The same money would buy you a decent power bank which would definitely keep phones charged (so long as you remember to keep it charged :) )

How do you keep it charged if you're camping or have no power? You don't need perfect unobstructed sunlight for PV panels to work (they're getting more efficient), they can actually be useful in Ireland - but they only really make sense when used in conjunction with storage.
    s1ippy wrote:
    Look on Amazon for "solar charger"

• Advertisement

Not sure where you live, but we live in a very rural area, on top of a hill and we are very exposed to storms. Our power goes at least 3- 5 times a year, and that is usually for a day at least. Our power was out for 4 days in the last storm.

I would consider that a major inconvenience and after 11 years of living here you kind of get fed up with the power going.

Power outages again today down our way. Nice reminder of why it would be good to have some type of back up.

Power outages again today down our way. Nice reminder of why it would be good to have some type of back up.

Its your money.

If you go down the generator route, go in with eyes open to the costs and maintenance.
    Also, price up a solar system, with a powerwall.
    Not sure how available they are, but the grants are generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A few hours without power really isn't the end of the world. Unless of course you have critical requirements like life sustaining medical equipment at home. As pointed generators are expensive, require a lot of ongoing maintenance and will basically lie idle 99.99% of the time. Keep a few USB powerbanks on hand to keep phones/tablets etc ticking over and that should be more than enough really. ESB Networks are usually on the ball getting outages sorted out quickly.

Its your money.

If you go down the generator route, go in with eyes open to the costs and maintenance.
    Also, price up a solar system, with a powerwall.
    Not sure how available they are, but the grants are generous.

yeah, fair enough. appreciate the advice. will definitely look in to the solar idea.

thanks

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A few hours without power really isn't the end of the world. Unless of course you have critical requirements like life sustaining medical equipment at home. As pointed generators are expensive, require a lot of ongoing maintenance and will basically lie idle 99.99% of the time. Keep a few USB powerbanks on hand to keep phones/tablets etc ticking over and that should be more than enough really. ESB Networks are usually on the ball getting outages sorted out quickly.

I didn't say a few hours without power was the end of the world. the point i was trying to make it that even in late May, we can have power cuts. during winter time we can have power cuts for a few days. this gets annoying after a few years, when you can't flush the toilet because there is no water - let alone the inconvenience of not having electricity.

i can't see this changing. in fact, you'd imagine storms will become more frequent, going on the climate change predictions.

appreciate that a 10k generator system is an OTT response to a few days without power. nevertheless, i think it is worth looking in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Hi I bought a 10kVa generator from the UK last year as we were constantly having power cuts and we just had a newborn at the time.

When purchasing any type of generator for domestic use I would count the most important aspect of any generator as having AVR(Alternating Voltage Regulator) as part of it. This will keep a steady and stable current depending on the AVR tolerance, you have to remember a lot of domestic equipment is very sensitive such as all LED TVs, chargers for phones, chargers for routers, new fridges and freezers and basically anything with a charger rather than standard 13A plug. These can blow the electronic components very easily with a basic site type generator with no AVR as the electrical current can be erratic, you could here a standard generator chugging and making a different tone depending on the load at any given time such as any heating element like a kettle coming on or off.

A 10kVA generator is enough for most houses as you will not be running everything at the same time. When we have our one running we will have lights, TVs, router, oil heating, kettle and maybe washing machine on at the same time and it will run all these OK. You will not have everything on in the house at the same time and you can always plan around having electric showers on at different times to ovens or washing machines.

You will definitely need a changeover switch also, a place to store the generator while running as it will give off fumes and a cable long enough with the correct plugs to reach from this storage space to the changeover switch.

By the way I am a electrician and I work in a maintenance background with a large multinational and I am constantly working on a weekly basis with large and small generators.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Here are the generators and website myself and a few work colleagues ended up buying last year:

https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/p1pe/p1pe-p10000le-7-9kw-9-8kva-recoil-electric-start-site-petrol-generator.html

This one has the option of using gas instead of petrol, I ended up going with this one as it was on special at the time and cheaper than the above model:

https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/p1pe/p1pe-p10000lelpg-7-9kw-9-8kva-recoil-electric-start-site-dual-fuel-petrol-lpg-generator.html

Very easy to deal with and carriage was only £40 for 4 generators that we got but you need to contact sales team to inquire about it.

homer1982 wrote: »
    Here are the generators and website myself and a few work colleagues ended up buying last year:

https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/p1pe/p1pe-p10000le-7-9kw-9-8kva-recoil-electric-start-site-petrol-generator.html

This one has the option of using gas instead of petrol, I ended up going with this one as it was on special at the time and cheaper than the above model:

https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/p1pe/p1pe-p10000lelpg-7-9kw-9-8kva-recoil-electric-start-site-dual-fuel-petrol-lpg-generator.html

Very easy to deal with and carriage was only £40 for 4 generators that we got but you need to contact sales team to inquire about it.

Thanks for the update homer1982. That seems reasonable enough. I am pretty certain the electrician recommended a similar sized generator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

In fairness you’ll need a 100hz one if running Pc phone to stop surges. Which means going diesel. You won’t buy anything suitable new for less than 5k. And they’re heavy and expensive on fuel. Fine to get a small genny to run a few bits but heating electric showers etc. you’re going to big diesel. Imho not worth it having looked myself at these options. Solid fuel stove to heat is a good back up

Advertisement