Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexpected views of Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭AhhHere

miamee wrote: »
    My favourite bus stop is at Hanlon's Corner (Prussia Street) as you are heading into town. If you are sitting upstairs at the front of the bus and it's a clear day, you get a winderful view of the mountains far off but also of the red brick houses sweeping down into Stoneybatter. They look dwarfed and insignificant with the mountains behind and it makes the city seem much smaller somehow. A beautiful view.

Actually reminds me. Grangegorman. TU campus get a great view of the city. Especially if you get onto the 2nd floor of one of the buildings looking south. They've a graduate expo on today that you can check out and see some views.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭AhhHere

This view at Ballyboden (I think?) is great too https://goo.gl/maps/os7VVjXCysZmm8LbA

A good hill for running up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I like the perspective from the obelisk on top of Victoria/killiney hill. You can see right into Wicklow , as far as Tallaght, right over all of south Dublin and of course into Dublin bay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a road between Ballyboughal, Naul and Oldtown that on a clear day you can get a very good view of Dublin beyond Clontarf and out to the southside a bit and I think Lambay. Just beyond Naul you can get a view of the Mourne mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Larch Hill on the edge of the Dublin mountains.
    There's a field beside the main HQ building called the "Cub field". At night it has breath taking views of Dublin City lit up.

Not public access but like anything there's always a way by asking the right people.

Yeah, but you're in the mountains so not an unexpected view. There's better views nearby though, the aerials at 3 Rock or the top of Tibradden aren't too far from there.

Same as with Military Road, the views are as you would expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Larch Hill on the edge of the Dublin mountains.
    There's a field beside the main HQ building called the "Cub field". At night it has breath taking views of Dublin City lit up.

Not public access but like anything there's always a way by asking the right people.

Go to the scouts' camping ground and ask someone to sneak you into the cub field so you can enjoy the view? OK...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

sabat wrote: »
    Go to the scouts' camping ground and ask someone to sneak you into the cub field so you can enjoy the view? OK...

That's a bit of a weird thing to say?
    I never mentioned sneaking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Hurrache wrote: »

As part of a route on a long run I take that brings me into Meath I can clearly see the light on top of Kippure, over 30kms away.
    From my back garden I can see Kippure and the Hellfire Club.

I'm from Raheny, and have cycled out out to Kippure many times. But it was only recently when driving along the Clontarf Road by the wooden bridge that I realised that you can see Kippure plain as day when it's clear (so, not so often,in the end) - I was looking at it for ages trying to figure out what it could be before the penny dropped.

Also, the M50 toll bridge - going across in car, you only see the grey metal barriers at the side. But if you cross it in a coach, you have a lovely view into the the strawberry beds below.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Worth going down into the Strawberry Beds too and looking up at the M50 bridge. Its remarkably impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

Unexpected view in Lidl carpark , Portmarnock :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The most surprising view I've ever come across in the city is from the top floor of Arnotts car park on Prince's St, mainly because you're expecting, well, a car park., not the 360° views of the entire city. It usually costs me an extra hour's parking by the time I take it all in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The most surprising view I've ever come across in the city is from the top floor of Arnotts car park on Prince's St, mainly because you're expecting, well, a car park., not the 360° views of the entire city. It usually costs me an extra hour's parking by the time I take it all in!
    Similarly great views from the top of Stephen's Green Street carpark.

Also from DBS on South Great George's Street. Some of the upper rooms looking over Dublin Castle have unexpected, magnificent panoramas of the South City, and especially the Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Since I never drive into the city now anymore, could I walk up to the top floor of Arnotts without being arrested!

Sounds great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Worth going down into the Strawberry Beds too and looking up at the M50 bridge. Its remarkably impressive.

There is a great view of everything you mention there from Waterstown Park (it is on the South side of Strawberry Beds), we bring my temporarily adopted relative's dogs to the dog run down there and it is amazing to see the height of the M50 Bridge.

There is also a lovely walk there by the Liffey to see the canoe schools from the same park. Pity there is no way to cross the river around there. Hidden gem.

The (foliage allowing) view driving east down Newtownpark Avenue near White's cross for only 50 yards or so after the curve and before the road dips. Might have been this thread but drove down there earlier and gorgeous partial/snapshot view of the bay and Howth - always unexpected when I catch it even though I drive there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ballymun. Connolly Tower had the best view of Dublin

And I mean view of Dublin. All of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Since I never drive into the city now anymore, could I walk up to the top floor of Arnotts without being arrested!

Sounds great. Thanks.
    You can get the lift straight up, no restriction AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It’s an age since I’ve been there but the ILAC is similar I think - roof top car park with a great view.

There’s also a roof top car park on the ugly brown shopping centre in Dun Laoghaire which has a lovely view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The apartments behind Clare Hall have great views over Malahide and Howth.
    Upstairs on buses into town from Ballymun and Finglas gives occasional glimpses of a large part of the city as you come downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

a summer evenings at sunset in howth harbour, great view as the sunsets behind the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Lovely perspective of Grand Canal Dock to Dun Laoghaire from Facebook’s roof, or even from some of their corner windows.
    Facebook open the office to the public every now and then (I think they do it for Culture night? Not 100% sure, but you might see something through Eventbrite). Check it out if you can, before they move to Ballsbridge :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

From the attic windows of the house I grew up in Castleknock I could see the Hill od Howth and the Ballymun towers (now gone of course).

Oh and the Dublin part of the Wicklow Mountains as well.

The little road from Smithfield up to Rathdown Road to meet the NCR hardly feelike in the Innrer fity at all. It is a real little gem of a quarter (albeit about to be massively changed by DIT Grangegorman)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

The 7th floor of the Mater Hospital has a glass walkway connecting the old and new(ish) phases, with brilliant views over the city. You can see pretty much everything as far as the Dublin Mountains.

The fact that it's situated where people really need a pick-me-up makes it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There’s also a roof top car park on the ugly brown shopping centre in Dun Laoghaire which has a lovely view.

The views from the higher floors in the Dun Laoghaire library are similarly lovely, looking out across Howth.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deanswift

if you want a panoramic view of all dublin from the new tower at dubellin (?) airport right around to the sugar loaf in wickla go to the top of Loft hotel in fumbally lane......there is a coffee bar at the top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Head up to the v top floor of St Stephens Green (RCSI) car park. Some nice views of Dublin on a clear day.

Advertisement