Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I love the 12 days of Christmas mash up that has Africa (Toto) in it. It was on a lot a few weeks ago but haven't heard it lately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Driving down to dunnes at 7am for the grocery shop and whats the first song on the radio.... nearly crashed the car 😡🤬

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On the general christmas song front... Fairytale wins Irish poll in landslide.

The nation’s second favourite Christmas song is Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea, with just 9% of people choosing it as their preferred song.  Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas and Bing Crosby’s White Christmas follows in joint third place, with 7% of the vote each. 

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-favourite-christmas-song-fairytale-of-new-york-5630813-Dec2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sorry but that made me laugh 😂 Dolly’s Holly jolly Christmas seems to be on at least twice an hour 🤔 And you all give out about Christmas shoes 😂😂 I still haven’t heard it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’ve only heard Christmas shoes once this year and by heard I mean I switched it off as soon as it came on 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ChristmasFM really has become the soundtrack to my Christmas.

Two years ago it kept me company on the late night and early morning doggo walks.

Last year it kept me company while working from home.

This year it’s keeping me company during the baby feeds and nappy changes. It’s such a constant throughout my Christmases. I really hope it never goes away!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

No Shakey on that list! Bah, rigged 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard it last night - first time I heard it this year!

Today Robbie Irwin signed off with Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Folgelberg. I love that song. It's my first time hearing it this year. I think I hear it played a couple of times every year. I believe I heard it played much more in the first few years of Christmas FM.

I'm finding I'm hearing less songs this year. Seem to be hearing the same ones over and over. Last year there seemed to be a much wider variety of songs. Now that could be just unfortunate timing but there's been times I've had it on for hours and it's the same... all the same not long left now, it seems to go by so quickly and I'm in the stage where I'll listen less and less now.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Finally heard Little Drummer Boy from Bing and Bowie.

Agree DvB, seem to be hearing a lot of the same half dozen song this year for some reason. Maybe it's just the times I'm listening or something.

Now that you mention it I still haven't heard that song on Christmas FM. I did hear it on some other station.

By the way, I did not hear Dolly Parton's Holly Jolly Christmas at all yesterday. Maybe they are finally getting the message!!

Over the weekend, I heard a presenter saying that one of the acts coming up would be In Tua Nua. I did not hear them, but I would imagine it was their cover of Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody. If it was, I'm glad I missed that song so far this year! Their version is horrendous. I grew tired of the original version years ago, but it's still infinitely better than In Tua Nua's rendition!

Have to say I felt the same. Dolly Parton, and my grown up Christmas list, I want a hippopotamus for Christmas seem to play every half hour. It’s like getting To the end of a tub of sweets, the good ones are getting harder and harder to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Sorry, but they will never be forgiven for "Text me Merry Christmas"

Dolly is on again 😡😡😡

Followed by Christmas shoes. This dj hates us on boards 🙁

Emily Brew I believe. I have not heard Christmas Shoes so far this year and I would not mind if I did hear it. This is two days in a row I managed not to hear Dolly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'd like it to go back to the way it was when it first started.

They had a much bigger playlist then split it into 3 different stations through the app. CFM, Classic and Carols I think it was.

A mixture of everything on the one station again would be better than the same 10 - 20 songs over and over again.

They tended not to play classical music or actual carols on Christmas FM when it was just one station. However, I have just had a look at the playlist for Christmas FM Classics. It does contain quite a few that they still play on the regular Christmas FM as well - the likes of Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams and Peggy Lee, but there are some that you would not normally hear on Christmas FM like Perry Como, Louis Armstrong (although I heard him yesterday on Christmas FM!) and the Andrews Sister. I was surprised to see Little Drummer Boy by Bing and David Bowie on the playlist for Christmas FM Classics.

I really enjoy listening to the classical and carols at different times throughout the year but generally enjoy the switch to normal Christmas FM on Nov.28th

Only got to listen in for a half hour or so today on the drive to and from the blanchardstown sc but in that time heard the best mix of tracks in a short space of time so far this year.

Hard to believe we're into the last week of it for 2021 though. The 4 weeks or so really do go by so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I think I've only heard Bing and Bowie once on Christmas FM this year. 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I haven't heard them at all yet, one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's like they have a playlist for a week and then change half of it. If I hear In Tua Nua butcher merry Christmas everybody one more time this week 🤬🤬🤬

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Bad covers of great classics have no place... anywhere!

Yeah, they seem to have gone back to the dodgy covers this year after a couple of years of not using them much. Shame as I'd much prefer to hear the originals over and over than even the once have the covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I have a confession......I changed channels in the car last night, couldn't listen to Dolly again. Found 'Last Christmas' on a different station......shhh don't tell anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've never heard Dolly on Christmas FM and I've been leaving it on during work the last few weeks.

I do have I want a hippopotamus for Christmas stuck in my head though.Hate Christmas shoes,what a dire bit of grimness and misery for a Christmas song.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Not sure how accurate this is as not listening to radio (I'm allegedly working at the moment). https://irishradiolive.com/christmas-fm/playlist

The search works to see how often something is played

• Advertisement

I have no idea how you've managed to avoid it, genuinely. It's usually played within 10 minutes of me switching it on. Have definitely heard it more than any other track this year.

Advertisement