Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or for Ash -

https://www.stakelums.ie/product/450kgs-crate-of-kiln-dried-ash-firewood-logs/ and €30.00 delivery - also, €220.00

Is Beech or Ash better? or both much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I would have thought beech would be better - heavier type wood which should burn better. Ash is brilliant firewood but would burn quicker than beech
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Or for Ash -

https://www.stakelums.ie/product/450kgs-crate-of-kiln-dried-ash-firewood-logs/ and €30.00 delivery - also, €220.00

Is Beech or Ash better? or both much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

duffysfarm wrote: »
    I would have thought beech would be better - heavier type wood which should burn better. Ash is brilliant firewood but would burn quicker than beech

Yes, beech has a higher calorific value. But won't burn wet like ash.
    https://www.bordersfirewood.co.uk/know-your-wood/

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Hard to tell vic as measuring by weight is a direct relation of how much moisture is in the wood. Im supposing its sold as 20% or under? What is the cubic metre volume of it? iirc the best deal last winter on here was 199 for 1.2m3 with free delivery from the Co-op but they ended the free delivery within a couple of weeks, it might have been a pricing mistake. That was ash/birch though, not beech.

I found out it’s 1140mm (W) x 840 (D) which to me works out less than 1cbm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And is the crate a metre high? If so that works out at 0.95 cubic metres so a little less than a full cubic metre. Im going to hold out for 1.2m3 for around the 220 mark I got it for last winter. I know I need at least that for lighting 2 good fires weekly throughout the heating season. If I had of only had 1m3 I would have ran out of wood in about early February whereas the 1.2m3 did me till mid March or so.

• Advertisement

Yes I think it is. Not such a good deal.

And is the crate a metre high? If so that works out at 0.95 cubic metres so a little less than a full cubic metre. Im going to hold out for 1.2m3 for around the 220 mark I got it for last winter. I know I need at least that for lighting 2 good fires weekly throughout the heating season. If I had of only had 1m3 I would have ran out of wood in about early February whereas the 1.2m3 did me till mid March or so.

Thoughts on this - apparently its softwood = larch, spruce and pine - all under 20% moisture guaranteed, price includes delivery

https://www.cotterbrosfirewood.ie/product-page/double-bulk-bag-pallet

On the face of it it seems like a good deal, especially as it is free nationwide delivery. They say each bulk bag is 1m3 so 2m3 is a lot of wood that would get most people through the winter.

But the thing is its softwood so it is not as energy dense as hardwood and will burn quicker so you need to use more of it to get the same heat. As to how much more i dont know because Ive never burnt softwood, Ive seen it mentioned here that it is around 30% less efficient than hardwood, going by that 2m3 of softwood would be the same heat output as about 1.3m3 of hardwood. There is also more a bit more handling in it, you'd need to bring inside more wood to burn for every fire than if burning hardwood.

I suppose one way to find out if you're happy with softwood is to buy a couple of bags of logs from a petrol station and test them yourself- invariably these are softwood, it may not say it on the bag but they are. Another consideration is if softwood is really sparky and burns with those little explosions every now and again. I wouldnt fancy that myself and if it is the case then Id be annoyed at having to burn it for the whole winter and would likely regret buying it in bulk.

Another option was found by poster 2forjoy over on the Firewood Buy/Sell thread in the Forestry forum a few days ago. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057476913
    Company is in Northern Ireland but offer free nationwide delivery. The best value for money/quantity seems to be their Super Jumbo bag which measures 1mx1.2mx1.8m=2.1cm3. This is loosely stacked so assuming about 30% of the bag is just fresh air space it would work out about 1.4m3 when hand stacked in your shed/log store. However when it was posted last week it was on their website for 235 and looking just now the price has gone up to 250 so thats taken the shine off it somewhat for me anyway.
    https://surefirewood.ie/collections/premium-kiln-dried-firewood-bulk-bags-and-pallets-delivered-to-your-door/products/premium-hardwood-1?variant=31642997063734

Personally Im going to hold off for now and just keep an eye on what offers are about. I had thought it being summer we might see some discounted bargains like 1.2m3 for 160-180 but that hasnt matieralised. I suppose if companies have stock left over from last winter they just let it sit there for sale next winter rather than discounting to clear it. If they have the storage space then theres no need for them to discount, its all the same for them at the end of the day.

It’s showing as €235 for the jumbo bag

Oh and it’s says the cbm stacked is 1.2cbm

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Getting to that time of year again ... Anyone know of any good deals from places that deliver to Dublin ?

• Advertisement

Try monahans.ie

2 cbm with Monahans €350, above is 1.8 at the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Picked up some of the recycled ecologs at the end of last season and found the heat out of them was brilliant. From what I remember they were cheaper than usual firewood as well. I'll probably look to pick them again this year to be honest, they're easier to get a hold of and no need for a big storage area because they're so widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Picked up some of the recycled ecologs at the end of last season and found the heat out of them was brilliant. From what I remember they were cheaper than usual firewood as well. I'll probably look to pick them again this year to be honest, they're easier to get a hold of and no need for a big storage area because they're so widely available.

Where did you get them?

Cant see myself using many. We have turf and it burns well with loads of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

griffdaddy wrote: »

Are they the sawdust ones?

That's what I use in my stove, I usually get a half pallet (500kg) delivered but my usual guy hasn't replied to me yet..... anyone know of someone who delivers these to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭herrdood

herrdood wrote: »
    2 cbm with Monahans €350, above is 1.8 at the same price

I looked again at the co-op one. Using the dims provided I calculate the pallet as 1.672 M3 not 1.8 M3 as is claimed on the website. Anybody know the dims of a Monahans pallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are they the sawdust ones?

That's what I use in my stove, I usually get a half pallet (500kg) delivered but my usual guy hasn't replied to me yet..... anyone know of someone who delivers these to Dublin?

Yeah it's the sawdust ones that expand when you burn them. The moisture level in them is less than 10%. I picked up a few bags in KCR builders providers back in February or March, not sure they're back in yet though. I've definitely seen them in Woodies or B&Q as well, probably much dearer there though. I actually had to limit how many I was putting in at a time because they were burning so hot. (I know you have to limit logs as well but I'm talking using one or one and a half maximum with these.)

herrdood wrote: »

I looked again at the co-op one. Using the dims provided I calculate the pallet as 1.672 M3 not 1.8 M3 as is claimed on the website. Anybody know the dims of a Monahans pallet?

It’s on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Bought from one of the recommendations here last year. See to be about the same price this year (https://www.logsforsale.ie/price-list) €230 for 1.2m birch.

One thing - last year I could store in a garage, but wont be able to this year. If I'm storing outside (I'll keep wrapped and the water off them) I presume the moisture level will rise? Will it be much of a loss? Or will I be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Zulu wrote: »
    Bought from one of the recommendations here last year. See to be about the same price this year (https://www.logsforsale.ie/price-list) €230 for 1.2m birch.

One thing - last year I could store in a garage, but wont be able to this year. If I'm storing outside (I'll keep wrapped and the water off them) I presume the moisture level will rise? Will it be much of a loss? Or will I be ok?

If heavy rain is kept away and you can get a decent bit of wind at it should be ok

Zulu wrote: »

Just for information purposes logsforsale.ie and monahans.ie are one and the same company, photos of the crates of logs are identical on both websites and both sites list their address as The Yard, Straffan Road, Barberstown, Straffan, Co.Kildare. Only difference between the two is Monahans prices are all 1 euro lower than what is on logsforsale.ie. I used Monahans last year and likely will again this year unless something better pops up in the next few weeks. I dont think it will though, prices between companies are much of a muchness for kiln dried hardwood.

The main thing is to know the cubic metres of what you're buying and how tightly stacked it is. No point buying a bulk bag that is 0.5 of a cubic metre but has 30% of air inside it.

I've a log store which is open to the elements but only on one side. Search my posts on this thread and the retailer is there. Testing logs that were stored with a moisture metre I did find the moisture had risen to about 25-28%, this was only on logs on the outer row. It was mainly logs stored less than a foot above the ground, my assumption is that heavy rain was hitting the concrete and splashing back up. On the inner one they all stated below the 20% I had bought them at.

The ones that got a bit wet at 25-28% were not a problem as I have two log stores indoors so the wood Im burning has typically been indoors for about 3 weeks before it actually goes in the fire. When tested after 3 weeks indoors (and stored near to the heat of the fire) the moisture in those logs had gone down to about 15-18% and burnt fine.

If you're just covering with a tarpaulin though that could be a different matter, others can advise. But Id be worried about water wicking through it. The other thing is high humidity underneath the tarp. Without airflow it could be like a sweatbox for logs under there. We get winter days here with 80%+ humidity so that could be a factor in making them wetter when there is no airflow around the logs. I think thats the very problem log stores solve, they allow both shelter from the rain but also air to flow around the logs to prevent moisture building up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thanks guys for putting my mind to ease. Good news, I'll be storing them in a windtunnel! and partial rain cover with plastic then to keep the rain off.
    Plenty of air flow!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

How does €240 for 2.5 cubic meters of ash/beech sound?

gooner99 wrote: »
    How does €240 for 2.5 cubic meters of ash/beech sound?

Sounds like a bargain

More info?

Sounds like a bargain

More info?

Based in Donegal. It's on that Facebook image I attached. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that bought from him yet.

Definitely sounds like a bargain on the face of it though you would have to ask what the moisture level its as it is air seasoned hardwodd and not kiln dried. It all depends on how long he has been seasoning it for, I think it needs about 18 months drying to get below 20% moisture level.

Do you have a link to the Facebook page? Im doubting he is delivering nationwide?

Definitely sounds like a bargain on the face of it though you would have to ask what the moisture level its as it is air seasoned hardwodd and not kiln dried. It all depends on how long he has been seasoning it for, I think it needs about 18 months drying to get below 20% moisture level.

Do you have a link to the Facebook page? Im doubting he is delivering nationwide?

No. Don't think it nationwide delivery.

Typical Facebook I can't find the link now. Based in Letterkenny I think.

yeah proably unlikely to be nationwide delivery, a lot of those operations on Facebook seem to be just local delivery. Still a great price though for people living in Donegal, provided of course that the seasoning it has got has made the wood pretty dry. I wonder might they be getting it from Northern Ireland and thats what is making it cheap for some reason. Have never checked northern Irish fuel companies but might have a scout around tomorrow on the off chance some of them offer nationwide delivery.

• Advertisement

I might just take a chance as it's local in Donegal. I have a shed to store the wood, so at least the moisture content shouldn't rise too much in the coming months.

How do It tell how much wood I would actually get?

Is there a moisture meter I can get at a decent price?

Advertisement