Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Listowel Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Is the store called "Crowley's" just off the town square still there? As I remember it was somewhere close to John B. Keane's place.

We'd come into town from Ballybunion, turn right onto a long wide street, (Tuesday was market day and the market was on the right.)

At the end of that long street the Irish Tourist Board had on office at the corner on the right hand side of the street.

Turn right at the Irish Tourist Board onto a short narrow street ... :confused: ... I think that's where Keane's and Crowley's was.

And then turn left to the Church square/town square.

That's about all I remember. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Hey - I will have to start asking Bord Failte (Irish tourist board) for some conmmission :D

Here is a link to Kerry/Listowel - :rolleyes:
    http://www.kerryguide.com/listowel/index.html

:eek: Not more stuff! I'm still studying the pictures from Ballybunion!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I like Listowel, still getting to know it. The only thing I find disconcerting about it is that when I go "downtown" there in the afternoon, the pubs are full already, and when I go out there for an evening, everyone's already drunk when I get there! BIG drinking culture there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MissT

Hey,
    Just saw the 'listowel thread' am actually looking for info on a guy from listowel, screwed a friend of mine over recently, wont get into details yet, but its a pretty interesting story!. Dont want to give his full details out. HIs name is Eddie, he is a physio in Cork- if you have any info let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Crowleys is no longer there - it was bought by the toy shop, but then it was sold again a few years later. Now it's a furniturey-type shop.

Listowel + Fleadh Cheoil = insane :D The pubs stay open all weekend. I know some people who went into the pub on the Friday night and didn't surface til Sunday morning :eek:

tinkerbell wrote:
    Crowleys is no longer there - it was bought by the toy shop, but then it was sold again a few years later. Now it's a furniturey-type shop.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I remember the Crowley's being nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Crowleys was at the bottom of William Street.Mrs. Crowley taught at the Listowel Boys National School, when Bryan MacMahon was master and Frank Sheehy was head master.
    Snow Scorpion: See you on the Ballybunion thread.

Crowleys was at the bottom of William Street.Mrs. Crowley taught at the Listowel Boys National School, when Bryan MacMahon was master and Frank Sheehy was head master.
    Snow Scorpion: See you on the Ballybunion thread.

Hi, Sandhill. We always have room for someone new in The Ballybunion thread. tgif.gif I check in there at least once a day,

WIiliam Street. I'll have to remember that. I don't know the names of any of the streets in Listowel. Whenever we went there, we just parked the car by the church in the Town Square or the Church Square or whatever was called.

Last time I saw Crowley's the outside of the store was painted a pale yellow and the sign about the door was pale yellow and pale green.

Hello Snow Scorpion.
    William Street is the street where John B Keanes pub is.
    The Church Square was always called "The Square" ,off of that was the 'SMALL SQUARE"( sometimes called Main Street) Jutting off that were 2 long streets: WILLIAM STREET and CHURCH STREET.
    William Street took you on the way to Ballybunion and Church Street took you to Tarbert /Limerick.
    Regards,SANDHILLROAD

• Advertisement

I was in John Keane's place a couple times when I was a kid with my dad and my uncle.

We went to Ballyb far more often than Listowel.

A couple times we went to the market in Listowel when my uncle was selling some heifers and a litter of bonhams.

I'm pretty sure there was railraod crossing near Listowel on the road from Ballyb.

The Rhinebeck Antiques Center
    7 West Market Street
    Rhinebeck
    New York
    12572. USA
    (845)876-5555
    Thursday -Monday 10:00AM-5:00PM

We are smack in the middle of the village at the traffic lights. Across from the Hotel.

Please mention BOARDS.IE in subject line of email.

For driving directions call us during shop hours.
    We have a ceramic Irish Directional Road Signpost ( not for sale!) in the side window of the store I am amazed at how many people want to buy it, or have been in my home town. Come see for yourself and see where we are from !

Hi Snow Scorpion,
    Why Crowley's ?

SNOW SCORPION:
    Here is Listowel during the fair days that I told you about.
    Sandhillroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

Was in Listowel last night. Some craic there. Took part in the all-Ireland wren boy competition. Had a brilliant music session in the Listowel Arms after. Mighty!!

SNOW SCORPION:
    Here is Listowel during the fair days that I told you about.
    Sandhillroad.

eek2.gif

Crowley's ???????

Crowley's ???????

Yerra, sure there's no big deal about Crowley's a'tall a'tall. (How's my Kerry brogue? :D ) It's just the store I remember the most clearly. The Crowley's were friends of the family is all.

Did you know DeDe ( forget how he spells it) Crowley? .
    He went to school with my brothers in Listowel.
    The brogue is fine,
    I have a fellow from Ballybunion( top of Church Road) that comes into the store here and you could cut the brogue with an knife.
    I am still trying to picture DEENIHAN'S, what did they sell?

• Advertisement

Did you know DeDe ( forget how he spells it) Crowley? .
    He went to school with my brothers in Listowel.
    The brogue is fine,
    I have a fellow from Ballybunion( top of Church Road) that comes into the store here and you could cut the brogue with an knife.
    I am still trying to picture DEENIHAN'S, what did they sell?

Sorry, I don't know the names of any of the Crowley's. My mom and grandmother knew them fairly well, but they're both gone now.

Deenihan's was (or maybe still is) a little shop just west of the six rows of caravans you see in the Google Earth picture. A small general store ... I think, but I'm not sure there were black and white tiles outside the store underneath the front window. Every week, we'd go into the village so my grandmother could pick up "her messages." In other words, the weekly groceries. Deenihan's was basically a small ... very small supermarket. You got your basic groceries in there. (Whenever I'd wander into the town on my own, I'd always stop in and get a Choc-Ice for 4p.)

The old man was Vincent, but everyone called him Veenie (or maybe that was just the Kerry accent.) I forget his wife's name but he had at least two daughters Mina who became Mina Wolfe. I think she became a schoolteacher. And Joan - she married a farmer Mike O'Donnell who lived a couple miles east of the village on the Listowel Road. If you know the Francis Road, O'Donnell's farm was just a little west of there, on the south side of the Listowel Road.

Here's the switch where the Francis Road and the Listowel Road intersect:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/43011/15664.JPG

Now that I think about it, Veenie used to raise a pheasants if that's any help to you. He had a lot of pheasants behind the store: big coops of them.

Remember these in Listowel ??

:confused: Don't remember the maid.

The Square I remember well. One time when I was a kid we all went Listowel and parked the car there in the square.

My brother and I eventually wandered back with our supply of candy and comic books - Beano, Beezer, Cor!, there were a bunch of them that all looked kinda the same.

Anyway, my uncle shows up and the three of us wait in the car for my mother and grandmother to come wandering back (maybe from Crowley's! :D ) and while we're waiting a tinker shows up looking for money, and my uncle says in a thick Kerry brogue, "Go 'way, ya hoor ya!"

It took me ten minutes to figure out what a "hoor" was. smiley_devilsmile.gif

To see The Maid of Erin, you woild ahve to look up. It is in Main Street (aka Small Square) in what used to be called Mortimor GALVIN's--best ice cream cone back in the 50s /60s.
    Now has new owner for the past couple of years.
    Maid was our first lesson in female anatomy !!
    Curly Connors Pub
    Miss Dowlings newsagents in Main Street
    Murrys Shop with religous articles for sale
    Mike the pies
    Jet Stack
    Bunny Dalton Band
    Leahy's Clothing store in Market Street
    MaryBs Hotel
    Miss. Scanlon -our first teacher
    Mrs. Crowley -our second teacher.
    Bryan MacMahon
    Frank Sheehy
    Scoil Realta na Maidne
    St Michaels (Fr.Long)
    PRINCE MONOLULU ?????????
    We need those memories of Listowel so talk with Mam,Dad, Grand Ma and Grandad, Aunt and Uncle.

See their memories in print, 'cause when you and I are old you wish you had asked them to tell about their younger days.
    Ask them to rake their brains and let us know why it is called " LOVELY LISTOWEL"
    SHOW THEM THIS FORUM.
    Thanks a million.

Sandhill, look what I found

Thanks Snow Scorpion. Great photos and some angles I have not seen before.

1st photo;
    Maid of Erin is on the second floor wall of the pink building
    next to the blue building on the left side of photo ( That Is the Small Square or Main Street.). Continue on the left side and youcame to a left turn for William Street ( Crowley's, John Bs).

Yellow(real orange color house on corner of the square was called "Leahy's Corner"- a great gathering corner- you saw everything

Bank of Ireland was in the Square ( there were 2 other Banks in the square. The building on far end I think was called the National Bank.

The pink house with white trim is about 3 or 4 door LEFT of the Catholic Church. At the left of this house is The Bridge Road, leads to the Listowel bridge( over the River Feale ) and then a right to Tralee

sandhill, found a few more

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Jeez, the house I stay in on my 3-monthly trip to Listowel, is only 1 mins walk from the railway. Willow Close.

reic wrote:
    Jeez, the house I stay in on my 3-monthly trip to Listowel, is only 1 mins walk from the railway. Willow Close.

Hello REIC
    WILLOW CLOSE must be a new estate since I was last there ,for any length of time.

Up to about 1972 I probably could name any house from the Square up to the National School at the top of Church St.
    There are a lot of new areas that are built up that I do not know.
    Hope you enjoy you visits to Listowel. Sorry I missed the Races Week.
    Thanks for the photo of Ballybunion. I lived in both towns , so both are dear to my heart.

• Advertisement

sandhill, found a few more
    Thanks SNOWSCORPION.
    The 1st photo includes The Bank Of ireland , National Bank, Dr. Corridens (red door). Mr. Gannons ( salmon color). All these buildings are in the Square.
    It is said that there is a secret passage that goes underground from the Castle in the Square, continues across the Square ( another entrance is by Dr. Corridens and continues up to the very top of Church Street ( there are ruins of a Church at the top of Church St). As a child we knew where the entrance was and also the place near Dr. Corridens- we ventured but not too far--those were the days before TV.
    In the Castle there was a chimney where we used to shimmy up and eventually be at the top of the castle ( if our parents found out we would be in deeptrouble).
    The photo of all the buildings together is from the Square ( from Leahy's Corner ( see the Green Letter Box) up to the Bank of Ireland).
    Re Ballybunion map:
    I do not know the name of the long road ( it is new to me).
    The one at top of Church Rd towards the Doon Rd , I always thought of it as Church Rd.
    I THINK that that is the 9 Daughters Hole, it seem to be in the are I remember-we all had to take a peek at one time or another.
    The man who owned the RAILWAY BAR was Michael G. Clancy and his wife Marguerite, his brother DEENY owned the farm up Doon Road on the left.( I made an error in an earlier thread).
    Thanks for the photos!

Advertisement