Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What is it with geeks and aliens? I mean, really? Aliens.

You lot honestly believe that aliens “beings” are zooming about our skies, anally probing yokels, leaving circles in crops and performing “surgery” on cattle?

Get real, lads. Open the curtains, it’s a lovely sunny day outside. Go for a walk, you’ll feel better for it.

Meanwhile you are over in the feed back thread whinging about people posting ****e in AH :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

We try to explain everything away with rationalism now. Empiricism is the new religion. No wonder is left. It's horrendous what we're doing to our species. Religion, spirituality, wondering about the unknown propelled us to great heights; now if you dare ponder or imagine you are stigmatized and laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

45e9611843dd4f549f199a7cf2ba2701.jpg

Well you laugh E but you're not doing much different than the people saying they're definitely aliens. You're saying what they definitely are and anyone who disagrees is crazy.

The pilots I referred to described them as unidentified aerial vehicles of unknown origin. What you're doing is the opposite of science. You're coming to a conclusion before looking at the facts and changing the facts to suit your conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We try to explain everything away with rationalism now. Empiricism is the new religion. No wonder is left. It's horrendous what we're doing to our species. Religion, spirituality, wondering about the unknown propelled us to great heights; now if you dare ponder or imagine you are stigmatized and laughed at.

If you can explain something with empiricism then it is absolutely foolish to explain it with 'wonder' or 'the unknown' - if it's observable and knowable then there is no magic.

Of all the unexplained things which have become explained throughout the ages, the answer has never been 'magic'.

I have plenty of wonder about the unknown and universe in general, absolutely love it and pondering what might be.

What I don't do, however, is try to place known things into 'the unknown'. If we can explain them with logic then that's that, it's not unknown, it's not magic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you can explain something with empiricism then it is absolutely foolish to explain it with 'wonder' or 'the unknown' - if it's observable and knowable then there is no magic.

Of all the unexplained things which have become explained throughout the ages, the answer has never been 'magic'.

I have plenty of wonder about the unknown and universe in general, absolutely love it and pondering what might be.

What I don't do, however, is try to place known things into 'the unknown'. If we can explain them with logic then that's that, it's not unknown, it's not magic.

Creativity is the only answer to that, art, literature, movie's... graphic novels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d say some of the absolutely hideous looking mutants who post on Boards definitely have alien blood in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I'd say aliens exist, do they come here and fly in our skies for some reason? Maybe, that's what we do with uncontacted tribes. I mean, were on a massive rock gravitating around a massive ball of gas thats on fire, fking miles away in a galaxy in an ever expanding universe that contains approximately 100 billion galaxies, as far as aliens are concerned, the statistics, if correct, suggest that they're out there somewhere, on some planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well you laugh E but you're not doing much different than the people saying they're definitely aliens. You're saying what they definitely are and anyone who disagrees is crazy.

The pilots I referred to described them as unidentified aerial vehicles of unknown origin. What you're doing is the opposite of science. You're coming to a conclusion before looking at the facts and changing the facts to suit your conclusion.

Come on now, S, you can’t really believe it’s aliens from some extra-solar planet “whizzing” about our skies? You’re always going on about being a scientist, surely you view this Fortean nonsense as a bit of fun, not to be taken seriously.

I mean, we’re not talking about, intelligent, life existing in far flung corners of the galaxy here, that’s fine but the sci-fi stuff can’t be taken too seriously.

I’ve no doubt your pilot saw something, no reason to suggest he didn’t, but to call it alien and then say “that’s that” is just insane. Aliens has to be the least likely explanation but, then again, it seems to be the easiest.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd say aliens exist, do they come here and fly in our skies for some reason? Maybe, that's what we do with uncontacted tribes. I mean, were on a massive rock gravitating around a massive ball of gas thats on fire, fking miles away in a galaxy in an ever expanding universe that contains approximately 100 billion galaxies, as far as aliens are concerned, the statistics, if correct, suggest that they're out there somewhere, on some planet.

What I always find most improbable about it is the age of the universe.

You can multiple out probability by the chances of X,Y and Z other lifeforms existing existing due to the billions of galaxies, it makes sense.

But that doesn't mean they exist now, with us. They might have existed billions of years ago. Kind of sad in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Come on now, S, you can’t really believe it’s aliens from some extra-solar planet “whizzing” about our skies? You’re always going on about being a scientist, surely you view this Fortean nonsense as a bit of fun, not to be taken seriously.

I mean, we’re not talking about, intelligent, life existing in far flung corners of the galaxy here, that’s fine but the sci-fi stuff can’t be taken too seriously.

I’ve no doubt your pilot saw something, no reason to suggest he didn’t, but to call it alien and then say “that’s that” is just insane. Aliens has to be the least likely explanation but, then again, it seems to be the easiest.

humans are currently driving a vehicle around mars, we've been to the moon, sent probes to venus, jupitur saturn, crashed a probe into a passing comet, in 200 years we will probably be walking or flying around most of the planets in the solar system, in 1000 years, we will probably be living on other planets, why is it so implausible to you that aliens are currently fling around the earth?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

What if we are the only highly intelligent species in the Universe at the moment? Given the recent discovery of life somewhat on Venus which is microbiological. By the time they evolve into a somewhat intelligent being, wouldn't we be the high tech aliens to them? And yes I have been drinking and pondering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What if we are the only highly intelligent species in the Universe at the moment? Given the recent discovery of life somewhat on Venus which is microbiological. By the time they evolve into a somewhat intelligent being, wouldn't we be the high tech aliens to them? And yes I have been drinking and pondering this.

But then what if we are considered the equivelant of microbial specks to a more advanced race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

But then what if we are considered the equivelant of microbial specks to a more advanced race?

You make a good question for which I have no answer at the moment. But that scenario is also possible.

bangkok wrote: »
    humans are currently driving a vehicle around mars, we've been to the moon, sent probes to venus, jupitur saturn, crashed a probe into a passing comet, in 200 years we will probably be walking or flying around most of the planets in the solar system, in 1000 years, we will probably be living on other planets, why is it so implausible to you that aliens are currently fling around the earth?!

Distance and time. It’s highly likely that we’ll be moving outwards, saving an extinction level “event”.

The moon, Mars, Europa, Enceladus and maybe, even Titan. Anywhere we can get fuel to hop further out but once we get to the ice giants we’re looking at “ark” type ships that will be making one way trips out into the great black yonder.

The idea of aliens zip-zapping across our planet and then “whizzing“ back to their home world to report on what the humans did next just doesn’t make sense.

If they wanted to contact us, they would, if they wanted study us, they would and not in a clumsy “anal fixated” way and if they wanted to conquer us, they could.

Although why they would want to is anyone’s guess. There’s nothing on this planet that they couldn’t find floating out in space in abundance. Unless they need the blood of the humans to power their vast “space bending” super hyper power drives? I mean, it’s possible...

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Distance and time. It’s highly likely that we’ll be moving outwards, saving an extinction level “event”.

The moon, Mars, Europa, Enceladus and maybe, even Titan. Anywhere we can get fuel to hop further out but once we get to the ice giants we’re looking at “ark” type ships that will be making one way trips out into the great black yonder.

The idea of aliens zip-zapping across our planet and then “whizzing“ back to their home world to report on what the humans did next just doesn’t make sense.

If they wanted to contact us, they would, if they wanted study us, they would and not in a clumsy “anal fixated” way and if they wanted to conquer us, they could.

Although why they would want to is anyone’s guess. There’s nothing on this planet that they couldn’t find floating out in space in abundance. Unless they need the blood of the humans to power their vast “space bending” super hyper power drives? I mean, it’s possible...

You're that full of sh1te the probe would get stuck.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    You're that full of sh1te the probe would get stuck.

Point your “probing finger” somewhere, pal.

Also, stop focusing on my arse, keep “watching the skies” ;)

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

You are the one who keeps mentioning anal probing and im not sure why

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Humans. Animals. Plants.
    You are trying to apply human reasoning to non-human creatures.
    Unless you are an alien E. Trying to throw humanity off your scent. When did you crashland? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It's not a matter of belief Emmet. I don't believe there's aliens. We don't do that in science. What we do is work through what we have to go on and eliminate what it could or couldn't be. What you're doing is calling one option crazy which is so far away from science it's not even funny. We start off from a position of "I don't know".

I don't know what it is but let's work through it. Here's part of the account of Dave Fravor, the aforementioned pilot.
    Cmdr. David Fravor, a former squadron leader who worked as a Navy pilot for 18 years, said on Monday he was on a routine training mission off the coast of California in 2004 when his unit was directed to go and examine strange unidentified objects that were descending from 80,000 to 20,000 feet, and then disappearing.

Upon flying 60 miles to the location, Fravor says he saw a tic-tac shaped object, “40 feet long with no wings, just hanging close to the water,” in an interview with the Washington Post on Monday. He said it created a disturbance on the water uncharacteristic of a helicopter or a plane, and moved rapidly.

“As I get closer, as my nose is starting to pull back up, it accelerates and it’s gone,” he told the Post. “Faster than I’d ever seen anything in my life. We turn around, say let’s go see what’s in the water and there’s nothing. Just blue water.”

So it's something that responds to the pilots, mirrors them and even actively jammed their radar (an act of war). So seemingly intelligent.

On the technical aspects several points stand out. It accelerated faster than anything 6 seasoned pilots had seen, it had no visible (to the naked eye or infrared camera) propulsion system, it moved without inertia, it hovered in 70 mph winds and it had the capability to jam radar. It was also picked up on radar intermittently;. The aircraft carrier radar did pick up something that was moving faster than could be estimated accurately.

It's unlikely to be something natural that isn't controlled by something.

Now we're away from lanterns, lights or birds.

We're down to some sort of vehicle. Is it man made or not.

All of the pilots and Navy officials who have got involved has said that no aircraft exist like this on earth. It's not simply a incremental progression towards a new aircraft, it's new propulsion systems and even new utilisation of physics (lack of inertia, no heat signature).

It's not likely to be from earth so we're only left with something extraterrestrial with technology far in excess of ours.

There's military data on something unidentified operating with aerodynamic parameters completely unknown and you're saying we can't take it seriously. You realise how unscientific that is?

At first glance it's obviously inappropriate to call something alien. That's why you go through the facts and data. It's a vehicle, it's not like anything we have on earth so the alien theory isn't so unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

it's like god you believe or you don't believe
    or moving statues

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    it's like god you believe or you don't believe
    or moving statues

It isn't really.

Cases like this are more like the legal system.

You gather evidence, present some hypotheses and see how they weigh up.

But in delivering your verdict, you require a very high.burden of proof, so my opinion is that the jury is out, as the evidence is anecdotal or ambiguous. And the claim is extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I was watching Ancient Aliens last night on Blaze.

They had some engineered aluminium object that dated from before humans had the capability to industrially produce aluminum

They were also showing a metal ball discovered in America (Betz Sphere) that had a.small sample of element 140 inside the ball, and which made the device roll around after humans. Bizarre stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

You know aliens live underground

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What are UFOs !

No, we haven't been visited, too many humans have overactive imaginations!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I was watching Ancient Aliens last night on Blaze.

They had some engineered aluminium object that dated from before humans had the capability to industrially produce aluminum

They were also showing a metal ball discovered in America (Betz Sphere) that had a.small sample of element 140 inside the ball, and which made the device roll around after humans. Bizarre stuff.
    And there was a show on before it about the portugese air force pilot in 1977 who had a close encounter with a craft that moved super fast and didn't show up on radar it caused his instruments to go gaga and his plane went into freefall. he was very lucky to gain control at the last second.
    The encounter happened above a big hydro-electric dam and at the exact same time there was a massive drain on the power station that they couldn't explain. Really interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They exist alright as shown by the released US navy videos and other cases. What they are is the question.

There was one theory that the tic tac UFO is a top-secret craft belonging to US military.
    If that's true they have really been keeping us in the dark. It had no visible engine or means of propulsion, no wings, moved super-fast, and hovered completely still in strong winds, produced no heat, no exhaust fumes ect.

It would have to be anti-gravity technology and really, really advanced. If it is man-made then they have gone way ahead of anything we could have imagined.
    Even our space programs are still using more or less victorian technology, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I believe that it is foolish to dismiss stuff that is not yet fully understood or explained.

Scepticism is fine but flat dismissal is foolish.

This also goes for the paranormal, the occult and other related areas.

Advertisement