Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Space X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There are plenty of angles out there, that are not covered by SpaceX stream + what happens before and after.

And once you get the subscriber base and watchtime, YouTube ads pay quite well these days. You need that critical mass though.

Now .. the issue being, that on livestreams in-video ads aren't quite possible. You don't want to miss that critical moment. People who watch the content know and appreciate that.

Now, uploading the content in 4k or 8k isn't so important. But recording it in 4k or a little over 5k is. Because as you mentioned yourself, you can crop in. Basically digitally zoom in later to get certain moment further up close, even though your optical zoom wasn't quite focused on that little bit.

And then, I should mention, that 200k in camera gear is normal. As you can read from the article, he was doing international wedding photography before. So he would have had a ton of gear to begin with. I mean, a camera body for a professional DSLR or mirrorless will set you back 3-4k a pop. That's before you invest in optics for said camera. And it has to be fullframe for most of these shots today. A Panasonic GH-4 or GH-5 won't hack it, because it looses too much light with it's 2:1 crop.

So .. 200k ... is not bad.

To give you an idea: i'm an amateur photographer and videographer. If I tally up the gear, I have, I've gear in excess of 50k, between 2 mirrorless, 1 full frame DSLR, 40 GoPros, 2 HD camcorders, 1 4k camcorder, lenses for the cameras. Then add stuff like tripods, gimbals, tracks, flashes and lights, whitewalls etc. Add another 10-15k for drones on top of that, if not more. That's just a tally of the top of my head.

I don't mean to brag. I'm just saying, that if you're into that sort of thing, it adds up very very quickly.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Thanks, I know gear adds up fast! it's just I guess I can't imagine myself thinking, ya I'll invest into this and make it my living.

jogdish wrote: »
    Thanks, I know gear adds up fast! it's just I guess I can't imagine myself thinking, ya I'll invest into this and make it my living.

But that's you. If we all did the same thing, there would be no money to be made for anyone :)

And especially in the creative world, that being photography, video, but even all arts and music, people aren't precisely working 9-5 jobs and generally put a lot of passion and money into their job.

Imagine, the amount of money a musician spends on instruments and recording gear for their home studio. Same story. You don't get very far with just buying a guitar and then that's that.

Or somebody being into woodwork. How much do you think they've spend on tools, if they are into their hobby. Nevermind making it their job.

/M

And just to add. Even if they have no in-stream ads on their videos, they will still get revenue from people, that have subscribed to YouTube Premium based on watch time.

It actually pays more than the ad payments.

And that's where the space flight footage is special. You might have people watching the stream for hours and hours, not to miss a bit.

So even if you aren't a patron, just watching lets say the NASASpaceflight stream and being a YouTube premium subscriber will generate income for them. As long as the channel has more than 1000 subs and 4000 watch hours per year, which is what you need to get monetised.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »

Maybe with a Falcon heavy (i think that's possible?), but not a chance with a starship anytime soon.

Ms

Maybe with a Falcon heavy (i think that's possible?), but not a chance with a starship anytime soon.

Agreed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thought it was this, but it's not soon ?
    SpaceX wins contract to launch first pieces of NASA’s Gateway lunar outpost
    The $331.8 million launch services contract, awarded by NASA’s Launch Services Program at Kennedy, includes the Falcon Heavy launch and “other mission-related costs,” the agency said in a statement. The $331 million contract value is nearly three times the price NASA is paying for a Falcon Heavy launch in July 2022 with the Psyche asteroid probe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

AMKC wrote: »

Figured he could be just talking about his crypto too, he's fond of the ****posts, unrelated to space too!

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1381336793249878019

So two companies will go thru, I remember hearing the Dyanetics was favoured, I wonder will starship lose out. There has been very little if any progress on that lunar NASA mock up nose cone at Boca.

• Advertisement

Really nice video on 'Dear Moon' by Angry Astronaut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvvfgTHbII&t=1260s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Marlow wrote: »
    But that's you. If we all did the same thing, there would be no money to be made for anyone :)

And especially in the creative world, that being photography, video, but even all arts and music, people aren't precisely working 9-5 jobs and generally put a lot of passion and money into their job.

Imagine, the amount of money a musician spends on instruments and recording gear for their home studio. Same story. You don't get very far with just buying a guitar and then that's that.

Or somebody being into woodwork. How much do you think they've spend on tools, if they are into their hobby. Nevermind making it their job.

/M

I'm a professional woodworker (well, I make jewellery from wood) and it really does add up.

It's fun to watch Space X rockets explode though.

Ctrl+Z
    Bye BN1 - a slow scheduled disassembly!
    https://twitter.com/BocaChicaGal/status/1381944855333593098/photo/1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

July 1st for orbital flight! Elon time I think. Don't see this happening anytime before late Autumn. Its going to be amazing to watch.

https://twitter.com/wapodavenport/status/1383125840184115203

I'm mainly reading from the nextspaceflight twitter, my reading is:
    Of the three bidders for HLS, everyone was too much for NASA's budget and then spaceX dropped there bid to match the budget and have hence won the bid. I wonder what compromise if any they will make to lunar star ship ?
    Personally I just think spaceX will bid on anything and figure it out later if ever, I don't think the above is good news?

Official NASA conference at 9pm IST

Yup officially announced as SpaceX as the only winner of the HLS contract (see previous post why)

Hopefully they will work with SpaceX and help them get to a working starship soon, but I don't see this has human ready by their moon landing date.

Just after seeing the new render of the SpaceX lander, and it has a flat nose tip, like the one recently seen at BocaChica.
    And Falcon type legs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wonder what compromise if any they will make to lunar star ship ?
    Personally I just think spaceX will bid on anything and figure it out later if ever, I don't think the above is good news?
    All of them required development of brand new human rated rocket and that's not cheap. SpaceX were already developing reusable ones anyway so are forking out most of the R&D costs anyway.

Starship is designed to stand the vacuum of space for a journey to Mars so thermal insulation and leak proffing. And land on Earth and Mars. You can't use aero braking on the moon, so very rough rule of thumb half you mass will need to be propellant for landing or take off. Working back if you take off with no cargo then 120t, so you need 120t propellant. So landing with 120t ship + 120 propellant + 100t cargo (worst case) means an all up weight of 680t which is about half it's max weight.

Moondust may be an issue ?

I found this comment too
    https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2021/04/16/nasa_spacex_moon/
    There will be in orbit refuelling, but not explicitly defined by NASA. NASA wanted many details about prospective human landing systems but left how each HLS gets to Near Rectilinear Halo Orbit to the each provider.

Starships can put 100+t in low Earth orbit. The maximum payload drops rapidly for higher energy orbits because of the propellant that must be reserved for re-use. Getting the lunar Starship to NRHO requires refuelling in LEO for a "small" cargo and further refuelling in a highly elliptical orbit for the full 100+t. Getting a tanker Starship with a full cargo of propellant to meet another Starship in that elliptical orbit requires refuelling the tanker in LEO.

After the uncrewed test trip from NRHO to the Moon and back the lunar Starship will need refuelling for then next (crewed) mission. That will require sending a tanker Starship (or several) to NRHO (and back) and that tanker will need to be refuelled at LEO to get to NHRO. The payload for the second trip to the Moon also has to get to NRHO - by cargo Starship, which again requires more refuelling.

One of NASA's concerns with the SpaceX HLS was the large number of refuelling launches required for each trip to the Moon. The SpaceX bid overcame this because the vast majority of refuelling events take place in LEO so scheduling and extra refuel to cover a failure does not cause a huge delay or cost increase compared to any trip to NRHO.

One of the bits I liked was what happens if you are on the Moon and decide your ascent vehicle is busted. With a Starship you have a massively oversized cargo bay for extra food, a large LOX tank to breath and a methane+LOX to burn to stay warm and to provide water. The really scary thing about the Lunar Gateway is if you miss your launch window from the Moon you have to wait another 7 days for the gateway to get back to where you can meet it. Starship gives you three places to wait that out: the crew habitat and each of the two airlocks has independent life support.

Hopefully they will work with SpaceX and help them get to a working starship soon, but I don't see this has human ready by their moon landing date.
    That could be said of the other candidates too.

Fast / Cheep / Good ? pick two

Apollo wasn't cheap
    https://www.planetary.org/space-policy/cost-of-apollo

Hopefully we are not just building a 2020's apollo, but rather a system that allows for orbital re fueling and mars/lunar trips regularly using the 'railway' we are building.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So after nine years of having no launches from American soil and no vehicle to get to the ISS, space x now has two dragon capsules docked to the ISS. I mean you can’t say much more than fair play. There are now 11 astronauts/cosmonauts on board the ISS which I think is one or two over the capacity for number of beds but the dragon capsule that went up six months ago is to return on April 30th. So it’s a really busy time on the ISS because there was two Soyuz and one space X docked until a couple of days ago and now it’s reversed. There are also three cargo spacecraft docked so it’s been used well is the ISS.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So after nine years of having no launches from American soil and no vehicle to get to the ISS, space x now has two dragon capsules docked to the ISS.
    It's been a while since the US had two spacecraft in orbit at the same time.

It's been a while since the US had two spacecraft in orbit at the same time.

Yeah. It’s got to be project Gemini timeframe when they had two in orbit that were both NASA launched. I mean there was the Apollo-Soyuz thing but that’s not the same thing. It may not be Gemini era but since then I’m struggling to think of when there ever a time or a need.

Yeah. It’s got to be project Gemini timeframe when they had two in orbit that were both NASA launched. I mean there was the Apollo-Soyuz thing but that’s not the same thing. It may not be Gemini era but since then I’m struggling to think of when there ever a time or a need.
    Probably the docking missions with Gemini. Skylab had two docking ports IIRC

The Apollo-Soyuz thing was weird since the docking adaptor was also an air lock since they used different pressures and oxygen levels.

Probably the docking missions with Gemini. Skylab had two docking ports IIRC

The Apollo-Soyuz thing was weird since the docking adaptor was also an air lock since they used different pressures and oxygen levels.

Yeah it’s got to be that capt and even the Gemini missions weren’t two geminis hard docking to each other, it was Gemini docking to an atlas-Agena(when it could get itself to orbit that is) and even that went badly wrong once and caused it to spin until Neil Armstrong’s quick thinking of undocking from it and working out a stuck truster on Gemini was the issue. There was two Gemini that got close to each other and flew in formation.

So after nine years of having no launches from American soil and no vehicle to get to the ISS, space x now has two dragon capsules docked to the ISS.
    Yeah, but only one of them is brand new :p

The other one's been round the block a few times.

Yeah, but only one of them is brand new :p

The other one's been round the block a few times.

My point was in a relatively short period of time space x have gone from no spacecraft to now three crewed missions and two docked to the ISS. That’s impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Not much info on the crew dragon toilet facilities, not a lot of free space with 4 crew when they did their broadcast a few days ago. Doesn't seem to be something that spacex talk too much about

https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1291039258497572867?s=19

https://twitter.com/Thom_astro/status/1386331928031334409?s=19

Remember SN15? https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1386801847504154624

Static Fire'd!

Flight soon? I imagine they're gonna be super careful after getting the moon gig. Would be amazing if this launched and landed smoothly!

Musk says, launch this week...

• Advertisement
    Ms

Musk says, launch this week...

Sure he said that last week too and nothing happened.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement