Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsuccessful - post here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

J_R wrote: »

To me it is almost unbelievable that a learner driver would be willing to subject a fellow learner doing the test to extra stress, never mind interfering with an examiner doing their job.

Is it immediately noticeable that someone is undergoing a test? regardless, I would've thought the behaviour of the examiner would be more in question. I'm not sure beeping the horn in this instance constitutes either 'warning other road users of on-coming danger' or 'making others aware of your presence for safety reasons'.

I imagine having your examiner reach over and beep the horn (or get you to do it?) wouldn't exactly set your mind at east if you were doing a test (and might actually be adding extra stress).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

Is it immediately noticeable that someone is undergoing a test? regardless, I would've thought the behaviour of the examiner would be more in question. I'm not sure beeping the horn in this instance constitutes either 'warning other road users of on-coming danger' or 'making others aware of your presence for safety reasons'.

I imagine having your examiner reach over and beep the horn (or get you to do it?) wouldn't exactly set your mind at east if you were doing a test (and might actually be adding extra stress).

Hi,

Examiners wear HiVis jackets.

I'm sure when the OP of this thread turned up for his test the next day the examiner would feel it necessary to be extra diligent when checking their observational skills.

There is a big difference between blowing the horn at someone in traffic and one safely parked.

The examiner would never have reached across. They are very very careful never to invade the personal space of the applicant. More than likely they would have made a joke at the OP's expense and requested them nicely to give the miscreant a wee beep.

As a few others have posted, interfering with an examiner in the course of their duties shows a total lack of respect. And if that person is a driving instructor then I'm sure the feeling would be reciprocated.

Again from the RSA website
    Don’t:

Unnecessarily obstruct traffic or annoy other road users
    Practise on driving test routes for the most part; congestion on these routes causes inconvenience to residents and test applicants alike

My last post on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

There is a big difference between blowing the horn at someone in traffic and one safely parked.

Not according to the Rules of the Road, which state only to use a horn to warn other users of impending danger or to make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary.
    The examiner would never have reached across. They are very very careful never to invade the personal space of the applicant.

I imagine if the examiner is happy enough to ignore the rules of the road, he may very well have reached over to beep the horn. But even if he didn't, it would be very unprofessional to:
    have made a joke at the OP's expense and requested them nicely to give the miscreant a wee beep.

If you have an issue with someone practicing on the route, and you haven't been diligent in preparing other areas for maneuvers or are just bad at managing your time, the obvious way to deal with this situation is to get out of your car and have a 'wee' chat with the person practicing.
    Examiners wear HiVis jackets.

I'm sure when the OP of this thread turned up for his test the next day the examiner would feel it necessary to be extra diligent when checking their observational skills.

With this I would be inclined to agree with you. I can well imagine that examiner being 'extra diligent' if he recognised the person the next day, although he should of course be testing the person on how he performs on the day, and not something he observed previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

My nct was extended 4 months due to covid .

Can you show the tester the text from the nct as the disc will be out of date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

My daughter failed today for the 2nd time, observability being the main factor.

But, I'm confused now, the 1st tester said she didn't look over her shoulder when pulling out into traffic. Today's tester told her she shouldn't look around over her shoulder?

Which is it? Use mirrors, look 90 degrees and then are you supposed to look over the shoulder when, say, pulling out from being parked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 codriscoll1

My nct was extended 4 months due to covid .

Can you show the tester the text from the nct as the disc will be out of date ?

Testers are aware of the extensions and will still accept the car for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

lobbylad wrote: »

But, I'm confused now, the 1st tester said she didn't look over her shoulder when pulling out into traffic. Today's tester told her she shouldn't look around over her shoulder?

Which is it? Use mirrors, look 90 degrees and then are you supposed to look over the shoulder when, say, pulling out from being parked?

Really depends on situation where she was looking over her shoulder.... May well be no need at times she done it or was doing it too much and for no reason.

It's good practice to look at the blind spot especially changing lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paddy_Mski

Im looking to get some help. Im really useless at following direction and am struggling with the NDLS page.

I passed my C licence rigid driving test but have yet to do my cpc walkaround test. My question is am I able to apply for my full C licence or do I have to do the cpc walkaround first. Also having got a medical and eye report 3 months ago for the provisional, do I need to get them again as a work colleague said he had to.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Does anyone know how long an Essential Worker has to wait to retake the test? Friend of mine failed today and reapplied straight away. Is there a time lapse in between tests or will they be called again as normal, as like first test? He's gutted but prepared to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rireland9

I was in the same situation as an essential worker, I got a retest 6 weeks later, 3 weeks after failed test got invitation to book a test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Rireland9 wrote: »
    I was in the same situation as an essential worker, I got a retest 6 weeks later, 3 weeks after failed test got invitation to book a test

Thanks for reply. Did you pass?! Very hard going again and again. Not to mention so many pretests and costs involved. Must be amazing to pass first time. Still lucky to get a test at all, I suppose. All ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

During the test if you made a mistake say that to the tester right away.
    At least he/she knows it was human error and not lack of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rireland9

My test is next week, it would be such a relief if I do pass, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paddy_Mski

How difficult is the CPC Walkaround Test for the truck? Im struggling trying to remember all the questions & answers my instructor gave me, they just wont sink in. Has anyone any idea what to look out for or a run through of the actual test? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Paddy_Mski wrote: »
    How difficult is the CPC Walkaround Test for the truck? Im struggling trying to remember all the questions & answers my instructor gave me, they just wont sink in. Has anyone any idea what to look out for or a run through of the actual test? Cheers

It's just a walk around a truck paddy, basically you'll be giving a description of what. *You* will be doing everytime you get your truck before you drive it.

So using common sense, what would you check ?

I know personally, I'll be checking my wheels
    1) tyres are above minimum thread depth
    2) they are inflated
    3) all the wheel nuts are present and are in line with each other.

I'd be checking my lights,
    1) they all work
    2) the lenses are clean so the light is visible
    3) they are not damaged / broken

Windows
    1) clean, clear
    2) no cracks / breakages

Wipers
    1) they work and clear the windscreen correctly
    2) they are not worn, rubber broken etc

But they are just a few examples you can use !

A question I think they ask nearly everybody is " you're driving your truck across a boarder, how do you check there are no illegal immigrants in the vehicle"

Of course, you'll say you'll have checked your documents and keep everything in order.

But where you actually look for people on the vehicle,

The cargo area, the cab, above the cab, between the cab and body, under the body such as hiding on the axles etc.... (Yes it comes up and yes there was a case a few year back of a migrant trying to get from France to the UK who's body was going wrapped around an axle, so there you have it)

It's not a difficult test paddy, realistically it'll take about 20 mins, you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 12 totover

Failed again on the manual but feel its narrowed down to 1 or things.

Main one is reverse round the corner

Yes so going to have to keep practicing this bit. Given all the other #### like observations and all that it, the reversing was the main culprit.

Even on the pre test practice, I just knew this would screw me up. If i were to fail on this part everything would need to be perfect and they weren't either.

So has anyone else struggle with this???
    Iniitially I was thought to go slow with slow clutch control. Thats ok

I was also told to only use gentle steers. Problem then I end up with is being too far out. I done the gentle steers on pre test and the instructor was like "lock lock lock". As if to say then that I wasn't doing enough or fast enough steering. Still doing my best in the meantime to keep it slow on the clutch

Like dammit I done it fast one day and the sudden break but that's not going to work in the test

In a recent pretest report on the reverse round corner, first time I did it my driving was perfect but observation was sh1t. 2nd time I did it driving was sh1t but the observation was good

On the opposite end my 3 point + turnabout was ok

Not being rude but it's not a chin up or confidence thing. Just where is this going wrong. Have no practice vehicle either
    How do we crack this one?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I would suggest watch as many videos of the reverse around the corner as possible, and read up on it - the good news is there's only a few basic steps required to get this right - observe, reverse, turn...the difficult thing is putting them all together under the pressure of testing conditions.

I would write out a list of the steps and just learn it off by heart so there's no ''what do I do now again?'' moment during the test.

- Definitely take your time, don't rush it. My instructor told me to take a brief break half way through just to do a full observation check and asses how far I was from the curb for any corrections needed.

Pro tip - once you've nailed it, make sure to INDICATE as you pull away and not to stall, which I used to do after the adrenaline rush of getting it right, that was no fun!

I didn't have a practice vehicle either most of the time but ended up paying for a LOT of lessons, it's really tough. If possible go to an industrial estate at the weekend and drive around finding various quiet corners to practice on - practicing on normal roads is very stressful with cars coming up at you all the time.

edit: here's an example at 17 mins, although for me he's bombing around the corner!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVoy3SUJ5Y

Here's a better step by step
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxZ02NxOgtM

lobbylad wrote: »

Hi,

Yes, examiners were referring to different situations.

1st examiner when stationary, prior to moving off, when you must look back over your shoulder

2nd examiner would have been referring to changing road position whilst moving. such as lane changing or moving out to white line. Then a quick shoulder check should be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The examiner would never have reached across. They are very very careful never to invade the personal space of the applicant. More than likely they would have made a joke at the OP's expense and requested them nicely to give the miscreant a wee beep.

The examiner reached across and beeped the horn during my test 13 years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if they were still doing it. Some guy had parked a trailer blocking the entire road. I stopped and waited for further instruction. After a minute or so he was leaning on the horn and shouting at them out the window.

The examiner reached across and beeped the horn during my test 13 years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if they were still doing it. Some guy had parked a trailer blocking the entire road. I stopped and waited for further instruction. After a minute or so he was leaning on the horn and shouting at them out the window.

Hi,

well, there is always the odd exception. I would hazard a guess that he was quite happy with your driving and intended to give you a pass. Therefore he was confident you would have no inclination to lodge a complaint about invading your space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Lockheed

My third driving test has been booked in and I'm sitting it in July! Hopefully I'll finally graduate from the unsuccessful topic. I finally found a decent driving instructor who didn't ghost me like my first (if anyone DM's me I have a story to tell about Aviva, avoid them at all costs) or my second driving instructor who shouted at me for grade 1 faults - and he wasn't insured or even an ADI!! Honestly, I'm so fuming that anyone ever recommended him to me.

My new driving instructor who is patient, doesn't shout at me and always tells me where I go wrong has booked me in intensive lessons the week before and an hour pretest + renting his 201 car for the test.

Best chance I've ever had of passing since I started learning, I think! Imagine, the last time I posted here I was asking about medication to deal with driving anxiety, and all I needed was an instructor who listened to me and was halfway decent at his job. Wish me luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Lockheed wrote: »
    My third driving test has been booked in and I'm sitting it in July! Hopefully I'll finally graduate from the unsuccessful topic. I finally found a decent driving instructor who didn't ghost me like my first (if anyone DM's me I have a story to tell about Aviva, avoid them at all costs) or my second driving instructor who shouted at me for grade 1 faults - and he wasn't insured or even an ADI!! Honestly, I'm so fuming that anyone ever recommended him to me.

My new driving instructor who is patient, doesn't shout at me and always tells me where I go wrong has booked me in intensive lessons the week before and an hour pretest + renting his 201 car for the test.

Best chance I've ever had of passing since I started learning, I think! Imagine, the last time I posted here I was asking about medication to deal with driving anxiety, and all I needed was an instructor who listened to me and was halfway decent at his job. Wish me luck!!

Best of luck! Best thing I did (albeit late, should have done it way sooner!!) was to change instructors. Literally did 2-3 hours with the second instructor, different/better car and passed (on the 4th attempt). Should have changed way sooner but felt a guilty loyalty to the first chap (mistake!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

How long is the theory test valid for before a test?
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

juneg wrote: »
    Thank you

Under 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

juneg wrote: »
    Thank you

You’d have to apply for a learners permit within 2 years. The 1st and 2nd permit are valid for 2 years each so if you wanted you could go 6 years before sitting the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭december2019

Ended up with 10 grades two's.

I stalled coming out of the center and it sort of put me off and got a other one for progress then.

Then we approached a junction where we always went left in lessons and I was told to go right and I reacted a little late.

It was a road I was never on before and I missed a 30km/h speed limit. He brought me down it again and then I copped it.

I essentially followed another driving school car around. Turn about was slightly different because of this but it was fine.

Reverse around the corner was similar.

There's a easy enough one and a hard one. The tester asked me to do the easy one and then realised the other instructor was there and told me to go to the next one and got another thick.

My route from my lessons was similar but I did lots of it the opposite way around.

Probably took a speed bump fast in the end also but I sort of knew I had it failed.

I essentially marked my test as I went along.

There's no point of dwelling on it. It was an experience and I've a better idea what it's like now.

Tester was fine probably a bit serious but that's to be expected.

I didn't do anything majorly wrong. Just need to a bit more competent coming out of junctions and watch my speed a bit better at times.

I've booked another test and just have to wait for an appointment I'll do more lessons and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

Has anyone failed recently? How long were you waiting for a retest? Is there such a thing as a cancellation list these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

The cancellation list is gone. But the rsa do put you on a shorter waiting list for a retest, about 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

Thanks! Yeah I've rebooked but got a 12 week wait time, would have liked to get it done again sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Are the waiting list still long?

Advertisement