Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

At great risk to myself and likley being identified as "woke" ;)

This from a "guardian" article. So my apologies ...

The French have apparently decided that Wokism does not match with French Culture

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/12/academics-french-republic-macron-islamo-leftism

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

gozunda wrote: »

The French have apparently decided that Wokism does not match with French Culture
    They are not wrong.

Woke etc to me isn't a monolith. There are things that are truth about it ..and obv ways people take it too far.

But French young people have always struck me as very aware and conscientious. Sensitive to other cultures.

But perhaps the establishment is another thing.

I do think though french people don't argue politics like we see in the states. Its more polite. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

biko wrote: »
    Major League Baseball left Georgia because of the new voter ID laws, and went to Colorado.

Colorado already has voter ID laws...
    https://www.npr.org/2021/04/07/984857562/fact-check-how-colorado-georgia-voting-laws-differ-despite-conservatives-claims?t=1617843968306

• Registered Users Posts: 32,884 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nermal wrote: »
    Yes it is. The electorate judging who's best. Not you. Not 'experts'.

This is kind of my point: on what merit are the people who make sure appointments chosen?

Getting the most votes doesn't make you the best candidate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This is kind of my point: on what merit are the people who make sure appointments chosen?

Getting the most votes doesn't make you the best candidate.

there is no objective best candidate, a politician that might be great in one set of circumstances might be sub par with another. There are specific characteristics you would want in a pilot or fireman

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    there is no objective best candidate, a politician that might be great in one set of circumstances might be sub par with another. There are specific characteristics you would want in a pilot or fireman

You're confusing characteristics with qualifications and experience. Meritocracy does not appoint based on character.

To put it another way, do you want the most popular person flying the plane, or the person with the experience and qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

You're confusing characteristics with qualifications and experience. Meritocracy does not appoint based on character.

To put it another way, do you want the most popular person flying the plane, or the person with the experience and qualification?

to keep it simple , you do need certain characteristics to be a pilot , the ability to work under stress or in a crises would separate the men from the boys as it were. you wouldnt want a pilot who would panic. Likewise you wouldnt want a lazy , or a pilot that was very timid

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Cordell

In a representative democracy the best candidate is the most representative one, i.e. the one who gets the most votes, regardless of other qualities or lack thereof. Like it or not, this is how it works.

silverharp wrote: »
    to keep it simple , you do need certain characteristics to be a pilot , the ability to work under stress or in a crises would separate the men from the boys as it were. you wouldnt want a pilot who would panic. Likewise you wouldnt want a lazy , or a pilot that was very timid

Proven ability to fly a plane also helps :)

By the point is: the pilot is hired, not chosen by customers.

Cordell wrote: »
    In a representative democracy the best candidate is the most representative one, i.e. the one who gets the most votes, regardless of other qualities or lack thereof. Like it or not, this is how it works.

I'm not saying it doesn't : I'm sayimg you can't have a meritocracy and a democracy at the same time. Nor am I saying either of better than the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

I'm not saying it doesn't : I'm sayimg you can't have a meritocracy and a democracy at the same time. Nor am I saying either of better than the other.

Of course you can. For positions filled by election, the judgement of merit is by definition made the electorate, by means of voting. They make that judgement whatever way they want, and however they do it, they're always right.

And at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, because we fill some roles by election, doesn't mean all roles must be filled that way.

Nermal wrote: »
    Of course you can. For positions filled by election, the judgement of merit is by definition made the electorate, by means of voting. They make that judgement whatever way they want, and however they do it, they're always right.

And at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, because we fill some roles by election, doesn't mean all roles must be filled that way.

No you can't, because a vote is made on personal interests, not on merit of the candidate.

Is Michael Martin the best most qualified person to be lead a country? Is Boris Johnson? Is Joe Biden?

Donald Trump did it with no political qualifications or experience whatsiever.

Which brings me beach to my original question: what is being definef as 'metit'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Sky King wrote: »
    That's a big ageist though isn't it? 'Young'?

I for one am offended on behalf of young people.

Oh, and old people.
    Sonic Youth disbanded when the band members were in their 50s. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1377265674771427331

So voter ID bad eh?

It wasn't long before the hypocrite had the obvious pointed out to him from his own website...

From Delta's website:

Required Travel Documents
    Travel Within the U.S.

In the United States, you need a valid U.S. government-issued photo ID or a passport from your country of origin to travel through security. You must show that the name on your boarding pass matches the legal name on your unexpired government-issued ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The roads in the US are racist now it seems.

https://news.yahoo.com/buttigieg-says-racism-built-us-025000918.html
    Transportation Secretary Buttigieg acknowledges ‘there is racism physically built into some of our highways’ as Biden touts $2.2 trillion proposal

Phase one of fixing the nation’s infrastructure is not just about some of the obvious: repairing potholes, bridges, roads, airports, schools, creating new power grids, replacing lead pipes and expanding broadband.

There are also efforts to correct America’s racist wrongs.
    Equity is now being built into the soon to be updated black-and-white road maps of yesteryear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

conorhal wrote: »

So voter ID bad eh?

It wasn't long before the hypocrite had the obvious pointed out to him from his own website...

From Delta's website:

Travel Within the U.S.

In the United States, you need a valid U.S. government-issued photo ID or a passport from your country of origin to travel through security. You must show that the name on your boarding pass matches the legal name on your unexpired government-issued ID.

You'll also find these companies lose their moral principles very quickly when it comes to their business dealings with China.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

WrenBoy wrote: »
    You'll also find these companies lose their moral principles very quickly when it comes to their business dealings with China.
    They will just latch onto whatever is trendy and they think will help them to sell product.

This is why advertisements at the moment are trying to be as diverse as possible, why cleaning products are now "plant based" for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

conorhal wrote: »

So voter ID bad eh?

From Delta's website:

Travel Within the U.S.

Here's the problem. You have changed what he said to "voter id is bad". What happened in Georgia isn't voter ID. They have made it harder to vote based on the fake accusations of voter fraud. You already needed ID to register. They have made it harder to vote by post because a lot of democrats happen to vote by post. Ballots are now sent out much closer to the election than before, you have less time to return it, they're reducing drop box numbers to 1 per 100,000 people and have them in buildings which have office opening hours. You're talking about a state that has 5 hour lines to vote in person depending on your constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Have a look here on google maps.

Talaroo QLD 4871, Australia

They manage to be racist towards blacks and whites and the local shop is called:
    N word pass

WrenBoy wrote: »

They don't loose their moral principles because they have none. Their only principle is to produce return of investment and profit, and that's exactly how it needs to be. Any perceived moral principles and virtue signaling is just a PR exercise.

The only reason Gillette told us to be less masculine and Coca Cola told us to be less white is that they believed that it will bring them more money. Gillette found out the hard way how wrong that was :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Found a few insta profiles from fit young wans off tinder.

It's scary how so many of them just follow american trends now...so many of these irish ones have "Stop Asian Hate" posts et.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I really really must say that is very very racist of you to assume they will lower the standards for them :)

Cordell wrote: »
    I really really must say that is very very racist of you to assume they will lower the standards for them :)

I know you're not serious, but some people genuinely think that.... :mad:

Geuze wrote: »
    Indeed, if black people don't want to go cycling, hiking, that is their decision.

We all have our own preferences.

These woke/PC people seem to suggest it's the fault of cycling / swimming / hiking.

Black people are completely free to walk into a shop, buy a bike, and cycle it.

If they don't do that as much as whites, grand, so be it.

They are not oppressed, it's not the "system's fault", some people choose to do some things, and not other things.

I'm glad they pick fights over things like this because it exposes their dishonesty and nonsense. I feel like these type of activists have met so little resistance that they are just pushing it as far as they can just to see what they can get away with. In a few years time the sheep of society might be nodding their heads and saying cycling is racist.

I know you're not serious, but some people genuinely think that.... :mad:

Let's just be thankful that there's no push for blind and mentally challenged pilots.
    And remember about that lad that drove the plane into a mountain, that his privacy was more important than letting the airline know that he went off his head.
    Interesting times nevertheless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭rightmove

In a few years time the sheep of society might be nodding their heads and saying cycling is racist.
    If they bent the knee they might cycle a bit faster

Jesus, going on about her race, these people are obsessed by race and so divisive!! - racist in fact, she's a racist ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭SeanW

It seems wokeness is infecting the comic book industry too. Apparently Jordan Peterson can be likened to an actual Nazi. Or at least that's what Ta-Nehisi Coates is trying to depict with his take on the Red Skull and his "10 Rules of Life" ...
    https://www.newsweek.com/jordan-peterson-red-skull-parody-captain-america-comic-1581325

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's definitely beaten by having a black family on goggle box.

USI is a collecting ground for people with narcissistic disorders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement