Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards: Ten years ago ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

gozunda wrote: »
    This was boards 10 years ago....

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?date_from=07-04-2011&date_to=O8-04-2011&sort=best&query=%2A%3A%2A&page=2

What a difference a decade and a global pandemic makes...

What were you up to 10 years ago?

In my 3rd year of an arts degree in Trinity living with with my friends from school who I began to realise were toxic and suffering near constant panic attacks.

Much better now thankfully..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

gozunda wrote: »
    This was boards 10 years ago....

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?date_from=07-04-2011&date_to=O8-04-2011&sort=best&query=%2A%3A%2A&page=2

What a difference a decade and a global pandemic makes...

What were you up to 10 years ago?

Having the worst year of my life. In hospital. Very ill. In pain.

Not a time I want to dwell upon.

I got better now thank god. Then my father got ill two years later. Then I got ill again.

the first part of that decade was not good.

Everything is ok now though ..or better :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

John Doe1 wrote: »

Much better now thankfully..
    Glad to hear it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Doing the same sh1t every day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Meant to add. As far as I remember I was in Rome with the OH. Those were they days ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

/shrug

And I still won't know in 5 years time when this account is 20 years old.

A thread I made almost exactly 10 years ago;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71706525 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Was unemployed, going back to train.
    Now an IT System Admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The pit of the great recession. Those were some dark days. Never again (hopefully!). Covid doesn't compare, for me at least anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Sky King wrote: »
    The pit of the great recession. Those were some dark days. Never again (hopefully!). Covid doesn't compare, for me at least anyway.

Same as.
    Was in fear of losing our home back then.

This year has been great for us, selling our house in town to buy a larger house in the countryside

• Advertisement

I was at the peak of my powers as a bull****ter, soaking up the hot Mexican sun as I followed in the footsteps of the San Patricios from D.F. to Puerto Vallarta, and wearing an onion tied to my belt, which was the fashion at the time. Now I'm back in Ireland and have of course switched to garlic in accordance with local custom. Later today, on an excursion to Rathmines I will walk up Castlewood Avenue. Cromwell's Koonts marched up Castlewood Avenue back in the day. The dirty barstewards. It was mostly fields back then and instead of paying for things with money, we used to play each other little tunes on the tin whistle, a custom I maintain to this day in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭amber2

Was the eldest of 3, all alive at this point but both siblings now deceased and one parent, all happened within a short few years. The First in a car accident and this had a profound knock on effect on everyone else’s life, also I’m not that old, at least I think anyways but time ticks on. Oh to turn the clock back if only for a few minutes.

amber2 wrote: »
    Was the eldest of 3, all alive at this point but both siblings now deceased and one parent, all happened within a short few years. The First in a car accident and this had a profound knock on effect on everyone else’s life, also I’m not that old, at least I think anyways but time ticks on. Oh to turn the clock back if only for a few minutes.

Sorry to hear of your losses amber. In the same decade and within a very short period - myself and the OH lost 3 parents between us. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I had such a weird decade. I entered it in third level and ended it in third level. The years seemed to speed up since around 2015.

Ten years ago I signed up to boards. There were some excellent posters on the economy forums because of the big disaster. I remember a great poster called BeefToTheHeels. And where did Scofflaw go? Why did he sign off his messages with cordially, ? That used to rile me up real bad in the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Starting a call entre job with Abtran. Not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was riding out the recession in College, it was a great year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I was renting at the time and throwing my money away on video games and DVDs instead of saving for a place of my own . It would be a rough enough decade, with a horrible boss and work colleague, and some other really stressful moments including coming out to my parents and looking for a new place to rent after my old landlady sold up.
    In recent years I've moved into a new department at work and myself and the OH have bought a place of our own so things seem to be much better now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just back from our first ever backpacking trip. 3 months in SE Asia doing the usual Thailand - Laos - Cambodia - Vietnam route.

Travelling is the best drug ever and we have been doing 1-2 month stints anually in various SE countries since. Damn expensive drug, though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A decade ago, I was pretty much on the cusp of a spiral into self-destruction and alcohol abuse. I had to leave a brilliant job because of relentless bullying by a new boss, was continuing to work part-time lecturing in academia, I was very lost and my now OH and I had broken up (we since got back together).

On the plus side, I did get to see Rome for the first time (a truly beautiful city) and went back there the following year. :) A book I had co-authored was also finally published. At the time I didn’t feel any sense of achievement as my mental health was so bad. :(

In 2011 I had already been on Boards nearly seven years, my mental health was very poor and deteriorating (severe anxiety and depression - at one stage I didn’t leave my apartment for four months, getting my dad to bring me food etc) so basically I was like a hermit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Sky King wrote: »

I'm the same. 10 years ago I had lost my career and was trying to live on 40e a week so I could hold onto my home. Was getting 196 a week to live on and was renting out a room to assist with the mortgage. I was considering going back to college....

I ended up going back to college (put it on my credit card as no other way to pay for it), got my degree and am now working in the health industry as a frontline worker. I've paid back the credit card, held onto my home and no longer need to sublet.

Back then I could not envision I'd ever be secure and happy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My life has changed a lot since 2011 in terms of career. The influence of boards definitely played an indirect role in that, and not in a good way. Wish I could warn myself to recognise and ignore the utterly deluded and ignorant stuff from here and the media that affected my decisions back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was using the same cheap mesh back office seat I'm sitting on today. The padding has flattened and the cat has clawed some of it. The tilt mechanism is broken and it doesn't sit flat. I'll order a new one, but it won't be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Ten years ago there was a work-life balance: You worked or you life hung in the balance.

I considered myself lucky to have entered the jobmarket at all in 2010 and those 2-3 years in hindsight was classic burnout. Think Red Bull for breakfast...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Love reading the property threads from 10 years ago and comparing them to todays ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ever get sorted?

Yup. Used some prescribed steroid cream that worked great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

10 years ago I failed college, got a dead-end job and felt life was pointless. Ten years later I finished my college course, got married and enjoying life. Hopefully I'll get accepted to a masters course and have a child.

Reading this thread just shows how life has its ups and downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I had just packed in the job and was getting stuff ready for the big move. It was a busy few weeks with a major session thrown in. We'll be here a decade on the May Day weekend - so much for "ah we'll give it a few years to see how it goes. . . ."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I had just started a new job and met a stunning Polish girl called Dominika. Things were looking good but then I got dumped and my boss turned out to be a cúnt. It has been all downhill since.

• Advertisement

Was trying to remember what was in the headlines at this time back then. Couldn't think of a thing. ::o

This from next week 10 years ago ...

irish_independent.750.jpg

Advertisement