Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding Q&A superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

They don't have to stop you with newer guns so I've been told but it makes prosecution easier if they do as they can identify driver and obtain their details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Got pulled in doing about 130 on the M50 (finglas to blanch)a few days ago by unmarked car. Didn't see a gun or anything to detect my speed but when asked my speed I did say about 130, to which I was told I was wrong, that I was doing at least 150-160? I know I was over the limit anyways but I haven't received the fine yet (took licence, took registration too) so not sure what the FCPN will say but generally if it's around that speed it's a court summons is it not? Don't mind paying the fine and getting the 3 points but I'm a bit concerned that my speed was guesstimated at a lot higher than what it was? I know for a fact I was doing more than 130, had CC set on the 130 mark..

Has this happened to anyone?

Got pulled in doing about 130 on the M50 (finglas to blanch)a few days ago by unmarked car. Didn't see a gun or anything to detect my speed but when asked my speed I did say about 130, to which I was told I was wrong, that I was doing at least 150-160? I know I was over the limit anyways but I haven't received the fine yet (took licence, took registration too) so not sure what the FCPN will say but generally if it's around that speed it's a court summons is it not? Don't mind paying the fine and getting the 3 points but I'm a bit concerned that my speed was guesstimated at a lot higher than what it was? I know for a fact I was doing more than 130, had CC set on the 130 mark..

Has this happened to anyone?

Gardai can't guess the speed. They have to use a calibrated device, ie: laser.
    If they thought you were going that fast but didn't have a gun they could issue a summons for careless driving but it would be in very shaky grounds in court.
    If they issue a FCN it must state what speed you were doing not a rough guess.
    There is no set speed over a given limit that automatically means court over an FCN. It's up to the garda in question to decide the course of action taken.
    They have several months to apply for a fine so you wouldn't have it this soon either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Killinator wrote: »
    Gardai can't guess the speed. They have to use a calibrated device, ie: laser.
    If they thought you were going that fast but didn't have a gun they could issue a summons for careless driving but it would be in very shaky grounds in court.
    If they issue a FCN it must state what speed you were doing not a rough guess.
    There is no set speed over a given limit that automatically means court over an FCN. It's up to the garda in question to decide the course of action taken.
    They have several months to apply for a fine so you wouldn't have it this soon either way.

they have a speedo on the car, which would allow them to form an opinion of what speed was being done, which I believe would be accepted in Court.

Isambard wrote: »
    they have a speedo on the car, which would allow them to form an opinion of what speed was being done, which I believe would be accepted in Court.

It is not an acceptable form of evidence, no.
    Speedos on cars vary for all kinds reasons and are generally not 100% accurate and as I've said in a prosecution for a speeding offence the actual speed must be submitted, not an approximation.
    You could approximate speed based on observations for inconsiderate, careless or dangerous driving but not speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Feds tailgated me in my beloved Mk1 05 Fabia vRS yesterday on the M6 between Oranmore and Athenry

I was doing an indicated 110km in a 120km - Its probably around 105km.
    Inside lane with no other vehicles about.
    First thing I see is an ugly snout of a horrible i40 right on my bootlid for about 300m
    I slow off to encourage the tailgating driver to overtake
    The car draws alongside and 2 feds attempt to stare me down.....!
    I take no heed of this unwarranted and unwelcome attention and they go on after about 2km

By engaging in this type of behavior I got the impression the feds were probably under the mistaken assumption that they would get me to floor it then they would secure a handy prosecution. I felt kind of threatened and uneasy

I have it all on both front and rear dash cams. Its really crystal clear, shows bad behavior and I am considering making a complaint regarding this unsavory unprofessional conduct.

Who do I complain to to make as big of a deal of this as I can ...? I am not going to report this to the local cop station as I would prefer to take it well up the ladder and make sure that this is addressed properly by a senior. A slap on the wrist wont cut it this time - I wont be happy until them lads are put on desk duty ...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_A._Wray

He’s your man.

Good luck and God speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

Get the DA to bust their asses!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Feds tailgated me in my beloved Mk1 05 Fabia vRS yesterday on the M6 between Oranmore and Athenry

I was doing an indicated 110km in a 120km - Its probably around 105km.
    Inside lane with no other vehicles about.
    First thing I see is an ugly snout of a horrible i40 right on my bootlid for about 300m
    I slow off to encourage the tailgating driver to overtake
    The car draws alongside and 2 feds attempt to stare me down.....!
    I take no heed of this unwarranted and unwelcome attention and they go on after about 2km

By engaging in this type of behavior I got the impression the feds were probably under the mistaken assumption that they would get me to floor it then they would secure a handy prosecution. I felt kind of threatened and uneasy

I have it all on both front and rear dash cams. Its really crystal clear, shows bad behavior and I am considering making a complaint regarding this unsavory unprofessional conduct.

Who do I complain to to make as big of a deal of this as I can ...? I am not going to report this to the local cop station as I would prefer to take it well up the ladder and make sure that this is addressed properly by a senior. A slap on the wrist wont cut it this time - I wont be happy until them lads are put on desk duty ...!

Put up the video

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Allinall wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_A._Wray

He’s your man.

Good luck and God speed.

I think going straight to the Director of the FBI is a bit risky, if the feds are here intimidating our citizens chances are he has sanctioned it and is aware of it!!!!

Anyway it wouldn't be the correct procedure. According to https://www.justice.gov/opr/how-file-complaint you can file a complaint at https://oig.justice.gov/reports/component/fbi or otherwise report it to the law enforcement component's internal affairs unit.

Probably no harm report it to the Directorate of Military Intelligence (Ireland) as well. They will be very concerned about agents from a foreign intelligence/security organisation operating in Ireland.
    Yarisbob wrote: »
    Feds tailgated me in my beloved Mk1 05 Fabia vRS yesterday

Stay frosty my friend and as Q says never let them see you bleed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Hey all,

I got notified today that i had a court summons waiting for me at local garda station for speeding fine that was unpaid.

He said it was from January 2018 and gave the reg.

The reg of the car given. i didnt own the car until end of September 2019 and sold it in 2020.

So even if the date is January 2019 I still wasn't the owner of the car! (I know where the previous owner works i cant remember his name but id know him if i saw him)

Not sure what to do here, if its a court date for it i think ill have to get a solicitor.

How should I proceed? how can i prove my innocence?

I can't collect the summons so ill have to wait for it he didn't specify whether it will be an post or a garda that will deliver it.

Hey all,

I got notified today that i had a court summons waiting for me at local garda station for speeding fine that was unpaid.

The reg of the car given. i didnt own the car until end of September 2019 and sold it in 2020.

So even if the date is January 2019 I still wasn't the owner of the car! (I know where the previous owner works i cant remember his name but id know him if i saw him)

Not sure what to do here, if its a court date for it i think ill have to get a solicitor.

I can't collect the summons so ill have to wait for it he didn't specify whether it will be an post or a garda that will deliver it.

Generally a non payment of a speeding ticket (FCN) will be a yellow summons which will need to be served by a Garda.
    Reason being that a load of them were being posted but person then claimed they weren't served in court and there was no proof to contrary so many were struck out.
    That said it need not be served on you personally, it can be served on someone else at your address or acting on your behalf (wife, parent,etc..) and this will be noted on summons which is then signed by a peace commissioner or judge to confirm it has been served on or for the accused.

As fir the whole not owning it at that time, that should have been picked up before and fcn was issued?!
    Was it a speed van or Garda issuing the ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd assume the tax office(?) should be able to confirm that you weren't the owner of the car at the time by referencing the VLC?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Killinator wrote: »
    As fir the whole not owning it at that time, that should have been picked up before and fcn was issued?!
    Was it a speed van or Garda issuing the ticket?

The garda didnt say if it was go safe or garda fine, i was stopped once for speeding in said car, i posted on another person thread that the garda who stopped me couldn't show me my speed on the gun he said the recall wasn't working he spent about 5 mins trying to get it up and couldn't, he said that because if the malfunction he wouldnt be issuing a fine and to keep a closer eye on my speed in future. Be a kick in the pants if this is the time in question. As I have no idea if i was or wasn't speeding at the time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Was driving the M1 SB yesterday evening and there was a Go Safe van parked up, this lead to three questions,

1. It was parked on one of the ‘Garda Only’ ramps, is this legal?

2. Its Amber roof and rear light beacons were flashing, why was this?

3. If as we’re always told that speed vans are not for revenue then why pick Ireland’s safest type of road instead of some boreen which is far more dangerous.

[IMG][/img]kQzEvvt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

To answer your questions.

1: I dont believe they should be using the Garda ramp as they're a private company.
    2: If the orange lights were flashing they were in the middle of calibrating the camera, it wasn't live yet
    3: You really answered your own question there. Pure money grab

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

1. They act under the instructions of the gardai, so if they were instructed to park there, then it's legal.
    2. No idea.
    3. If you weren't speeding, then you're not contributing to their revenue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

3. because parking a large white van on a boreen may be awkward and dangerous?

Always one.... :rolleyes:

By boreen I meant a single carriage road (R road) such as the R132, R125 or national routes (N roads) like the N51, N72 or N30 or even bigger Local routes (L roads)

Hey all,

only just saw this, you did check the date I assume?

• Advertisement

Never said I was, I just had a few questions in relation to why they would set up in such a place and why their beacons were flashing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

celticbest wrote: »
    By boreen I meant a single carriage road (R road) such as the R132, R125 or national routes (N roads) like the N51, N72 or N30 or even bigger Local routes (L roads)
    OK, you meant boreen in the sense i've never heard anyone use before.

OK, you meant boreen in the sense i've never heard anyone use before.

I've never seen anyone take something so literally

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I didn't it this on the main page, so apologies if its been done already: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/penalty-points-system-faces-constitutional-court-challenge-1114087.html?fbclid=IwAR3NnZg0h_Z4wHCHBz8m-oPb0mMuxXbFxaZng6yUOVog-ngAqbBC1Zogyiw

Good to see people challenge this, utterly ridiculous in this day and age that they don't have to provide proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

celticbest wrote: »
    Always one.... :rolleyes:

I found that hilarious. I've never heard an R road referred to as a boreen. Your initial post confused me as a boreen is, by definition, a narrow country road or lane. That's a far cry from an R road.

A few Speed vans on the R roads around here from time to time. Never any on the boreens.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I found that hilarious. I've never heard an R road referred to as a boreen. Your initial post confused me as a boreen is, by definition, a narrow country road or lane. That's a far cry from an R road.

A few Speed vans on the R roads around here from time to time. Never any on the boreens.
    Yeah, boreen evokes a single lane road, often with grass growing in the central area, where you would have to slow right down or stop to pass an oncoming vehicle.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

https://roscommonherald.ie/2021/04/28/judge-reiterates-concerns-about-locations-of-speed-vans-in-roscommon/?fbclid=IwAR1bOClDReN3m68K8N2_rUBK6xV-h4bDOlaLSfv1Cbwk0omwdMPW2xcxzP0

Also, can someone please let me know if it is still the case that gosafe operate between the signs. I've heard otherwise but the source is not reliable so I'm skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

tcawley29 wrote: »
    https://roscommonherald.ie/2021/04/28/judge-reiterates-concerns-about-locations-of-speed-vans-in-roscommon/?fbclid=IwAR1bOClDReN3m68K8N2_rUBK6xV-h4bDOlaLSfv1Cbwk0omwdMPW2xcxzP0

Also, can someone please let me know if it is still the case that gosafe operate between the signs. I've heard otherwise but the source is not reliable so I'm skeptical.

From what I've read here, the councils have actively been removing the warning signs in the last few months.

It's interesting though that some of the judges are now critical of the vans being hidden because the intent is they are a visible deterrent. I wonder if they will apply the same logic to AGS speed traps, the majority of which are hidden or up on motorway on-ramps catching cars passing below them.

i think what happened was the zones were massively increased in length, in some cases combining 2 or more zones. Signs were only needed at the start of the zone, so redundant signs were removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Isambard wrote: »
    i think what happened was the zones were massively increased in length, in some cases combining 2 or more zones. Signs were only needed at the start of the zone, so redundant signs were removed.

can anyone confirm this?

Advertisement