Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How's you're Yearly goals coming along???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I had no goals this year after an 18 month hiatus. I have clocked up 1200km since mid May now, so I guess my plan is to hit 5k before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Target this year is same as last year 6,000 km. Missed it by a mere 90 odd km last year due to back issues. Jan & Feb were hit and miss due to the back problem, but decided to leave target at 6,000 km. Currently just over 2,220 , about 400km off the pace, but I'm narrowing it every week. Hope to be near enough to 3, 000 km by end of month... especially after my bike fit next Wed :)

At the end of July I'm ahead of schedule but will need to be more ahead by end of Sept as mid week spins will be more or less gone. So far so good. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Slow start to the year but going nicely now, put in a lot more 100km+ spins and feeling the benefit of them. should hit over 6000km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Way ahead so far but heading back to college part time in September so need some in the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

At 3060km outdoor km's, so ahead of schedule despite not being out since Moynalty (and a couple of weeks holiday with no bike). Back for a check up today, so hoping for some clarity on when I can get back out (bike also going for a check up, just in case I'm ok from the weekend!)

Including the 93 turbo hours estimated km's, I'm up at 4600km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Aiming for 4-5k for the year with hopefully 50,000m of climbing most of which will probably be on Zwift, here we come Tron bike :D Bit of work to hit the climbing goal but distance should be no bother.

Reduced body mass by about 14Kg with another 9Kg to hit my goal for the year and well on target for that, just need to keep eating well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Waaaay off. Things just didn't go according to plan all year. Somewhere between the long horrible winter and a few niggling injuries coupled with a long cycling free holiday, I seem to have missed about half the year cycling. My mileage is 1500k down on last year so far and my climbing has been decimated. To top it off (or bottom it out depending on how you look at it) I genuinely just lost some of my cycling mojo. The turbo has lain unused for a couple of months whereas last year I hit Zwift twice a week with fervour when I couldn't hit the road. I even got up a couple of lovely mornings and just said "Nah"
    Sh!t Happens.
    But then there's the positives.
    I had two fantastic spins on the Orwell Randonee and the Mick Byrne. There really is nothing like a day on the mountains. I'm doing the Reservoir Dog too and hopefully the Slieve Bloom Extreme.
    I also started racing the Inter Club League properly and managed my maiden win and a 2nd so am sitting in 3rd overall with 2 races to go. Lack of mileage has affected my endurance but somehow I've actually beefed up my sprint a nice bit. And finally, I randomly started looking back at a few articles and blog posts about cycling in Northern Spain the other day and I got butterflies in my stomach. I've a few kilos to lose and probably a couple of hundred euros to invest back into the bike- Headset, BB, cables, chain, Bar tape and I may have to buy new wheels, purely for health and safety reasons. So out of nowhere, I've spent the last few days blissfully obsessed again. The mojo has come back. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of it over the next few weeks again. I won't hit all my goals but I'll be happy and raring to go with a whole new set next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Was happy enough how my year was going .
    Started off in January with a cycling holiday in Marbella with a few lads from the club , got a good bit of climbing done there that set me up nicely for the start of the racing season . Did as much commuting to and from work as I could on the bike , although not as much as I would’ve liked .
    I increased my FTP by a few watts leading into the season , bagged a couple of wins and high placing in the club league and managed a few points in open racing with 5 needed for an upgrade .
    Disaster then struck in Moynalty in a race where I got taken down and ended up in hospital with a broken collarbone and a good bit of lost skin .
    2 weeks later and there was no improvement resulting in surgery .
    So with my season over I stand at 4000km done and 35000m of climbing .
    I probably won’t get onto the turbo until this weekend and back on the road god knows when .
    Racing is over for the year for me but will hopefully get a good few long slow spins done before the year is out but will fall well short of my target .

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Back for a check up today, so hoping for some clarity on when I can get back out (bike also going for a check up, just in case I'm ok from the weekend!)
    Well lung is back 100%, and rib repairing, but only allowed out on the bike if I can "guarantee not to crash" for another few weeks. Anyone got a lend of some stablizers, or an aero trike?

I was also warned to not go too hard on the turbo, which does kinda scupper my plans to finish off a "build" phase in TrainerRoad before trying to fit in a late race or two. Will decide over the weekend my plans for the rest of the year - some nice craft beer will help with that, right?

Haven't collected the bike yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

At 5,600 for the first seven months so a bit behind in my target of 10,000. Not too worried whether I make it or not even though the post Christmas push the last few years to get to 10k has been fun. Out on a club spin today and it occurred to me that the quality of the cycling (especially the company) is a lot more important than the quantity. Between the Hospice Cycle, club spins and sportives, I can have no complaints about the quality and long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just shy of 5000k for the year which seeing as that was my total for all of last year, I'm pretty happy with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Happy with how my year is going so far. Goal was to get a replacement for the bike that was robbed last year and get back out!

Got a new bike in march and have done just under 1600km since then, only really started seriously in May (really long story), had only done around 100km up to that point. Recently got confident enough to start taking on hills again. So I guess my goal is achieved already, I guess realistically at this stage 4000km by end of year and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Had planned to do over 10000 km this year but 3 months off the bike now due to back surgery and told not to go back on the road til next March or April in case of a crash that would feck up everything
    At the minute doing 30 mins a day rehab work on exercise bike with a crap saddle but gonna move to proper bike and turbo soon sitting upright then kick on upping the km all winter on zwift, can't bloody wait for that first spin back on the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I just checked my totals.
    I'm on 9,998.83kms for the year so far.
    I'm tempted to go to the shop on my bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Way off any of my targets or aims this year but f¥€√ me I am enjoying every spin the last few weeks so honestly, for the first time in a long tine, I really don't give a sh1t and its great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on this and the subsequent post, i'm nearer my goal of 5k for the year. just a little over 750km to go...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I am now 600 km behind where I planned. Had I not had my crash, I might've finally caught up and was looking at being ahead of pace end of the month. I'll settle for less and just enjoy the scenery and slow down for the rest of the year methinks.

Bit like Cram, I had been enjoying them more of late, so just going to find some less travelled roads and get on the Croix de Fer and laugh at the potholes etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i've a rule now on my spins that i have to include a road i've not been on before. has not worked out on a couple of occasions, but it does make them more enjoyable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

yeah, i've a rule now on my spins that i have to include a road i've not been on before. has not worked out on a couple of occasions, but it does make them more enjoyable.

There are plenty of little boreens around where you cycle that are enjoyable. I always surprise myself when I try some of them. I've a Garmin 1030 though which kind of helps in case I get lost.

well, the most recent one i decided i shouldn't have taken was a turn near cloghertown FC, up what would otherwise be a nice little climb - but the road was absolutely covered in crud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    I had no goals this year after an 18 month hiatus. I have clocked up 1200km since mid May now, so I guess my plan is to hit 5k before the end of the year.

At 2200km now... 5k will be a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    At the end of July I'm ahead of schedule but will need to be more ahead by end of Sept as mid week spins will be more or less gone. So far so good. :)

Just edged over 5,000 km on Tuesday, should be near enough to 5,500 km at end of Sept, fingers crossed, so , well on target for 6,000 for the year after a bad start in Jan Feb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Didn't set any distance goals but about 500km away from 5,000km at the moment, strange year in terms of fitness. Wasn't good and wasn't bad, cant put my finger on whats wrong with me

3300km, so might just about make it as my break from structured training is generally more commuting. That's despite 7 or so weeks with no outdoor rides. Thanks to those weeks turbo hours way up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

I've had a great year so far - 10,600kms/140,000mts YTD!
    Starting a part time degree course next week so that will eat into my cycling time :rolleyes: ... but still should hit 13,000kms/180,000mts for the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

10,019 / 12,000 km

I reckon I will hit 14k for the year at current rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Im missing my 5500km target probably will reach 3500 but I'm hoping for a strong finish now that I've restarted commuting. Have had to back off due to a few injuries but seem to be back to a decent state now to push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

4600km with a 10,000km aim, lost time to injury so won't make it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

765k behind schedule. As my old school teacher used to say: "he's good..but must try harder!" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

My main goal this year was to place or win in a Vets Road Race. Didn't get a win but I had a lot of fun trying and I did considerably better than last year. Went by in a flash.

Didn't do the Race Around Ireland this year so my distance is down a lot. And a change in jobs saw me driving to a lot of races which also cut down the kms.

The rest of the year will be spent messing about at CX races, training for next year and trying not to eat everything in sight.

Advertisement