Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Irish Open - Lahinch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Poulter announced

I know he isn't the most like here but this is funny

https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter/status/1121035871761858560

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

I know he isn't the most like here but this is funny

https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter/status/1121035871761858560

I think it’s a very good achievement to get him to play. He doesn’t play often on euro tour over in Europe so its good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kind of expected he was playing, but delighted it's confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

benny79 wrote: »
    Never Played it but spend a lot of time down there found it a bit of a snobby club (Just my Opinion) As I tried loads of times to play it but unless you know a member or are a yank not a hope! don't have opens either. But have walked it and by all accounts its a super course!

Maybe someday I'll get out on it.. Super part of Ireland I must say..

Played it a few times. Didn't find it too snobby or stuffy myself

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Played it a few times. Didn't find it too snobby or stuffy myself

Of all the ‘top’ courses I’ve played I’ve always found it the most welcoming. I have played it in the South and it’s just a brilliant week.

A few games outside of that at different times of the year and never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Remind me wrote: »
    Of all the ‘top’ courses I’ve played I’ve always found it the most welcoming. I have played it in the South and it’s just a brilliant week.

A few games outside of that at different times of the year and never an issue.

Do you's mind me asking how you got out to play it was it with a member? As I have been down there loads of times and unless I was willing to pay a mad green fee, €200+ I was told it was full etc.. Even though i'd be on the beach looking at the course empty! and I am a gui member.

Mainly use to go down during the Easter holidays & again in summer for a few days.

Do you's mind me asking how you got out to play it was it with a member? As I have been down there loads of times and unless I was willing to pay a mad green fee, €200+ I was told it was full etc.. Even though i'd be on the beach looking at the course empty! and I am a gui member.

Mainly use to go down during the Easter holidays & again in summer for a few days.

Yeap with a member or in a practice round/championship

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Sounds to me that you want to play but don’t want to pay the “ mad green fee” Choice is simple ,pay the green fee and you’ll play or you don’t play .
    Or find a member who can take you out for a reduced rate .
    Them not letting you out for 45 quid hardly makes them “ snobby” as you say . If this course was in the US you would probably be paying 400 or so dollars . 200 doesn’t seem too bad in that context

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

rooney30 wrote: »
    Sounds to me that you want to play but don’t want to pay the “ mad green fee” Choice is simple ,pay the green fee and you’ll play or you don’t play .
    Or find a member who can take you out for a reduced rate .
    Them not letting you out for 45 quid hardly makes them “ snobby” as you say . If this course was in the US you would probably be paying 400 or so dollars . 200 doesn’t seem too bad in that context

€200 mighten seem bad to you but its a little bit steep to me.. considering I have played top courses in this country at a reduced rate as I am a gui member! the €200+ green fee is for the tourists not a fellow Irish man and gui member. Anyway thread is going of topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭fire_man

House available which would suit 2-3 for 4 days of tournament 10 -15 .mins away from Lahinch.PM for more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Seamus Power has confirmed that he has received a tournament invite for the Irish Open in Lahinch. He along with Team Ireland's Cormac Sharvin and Gavin Moynihan have also received invites for the $7 million Rolex series event.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Grand stands are being built currently. One of the locals tells me that if you stand still too long there's a high probability you'll get painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Planning on going on the Friday but cash a bit tight at the moment to purchase tickets. Do you think this will see out or will there still be tickets available on the gate?

Jon Rahm confirmed now as well. Shaping up to be a very good field.

Martin Kaymer confirmed today

I’d be amazed if there isn’t a big American announcement.

Very few have confirmed for either or Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Remind me wrote: »
    I’d be amazed if there isn’t a big American announcement.

Very few have confirmed for either or Scotland

I’d be very surprised if there was a big American name confirmed despite it being played on links . It’s all about the Benjamin’s and there ain’t enough of them on offer . Plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

I’d be very surprised if there was a big American name confirmed despite it being played on links . It’s all about the Benjamin’s and there ain’t enough of them on offer . Plain and simple

The Irish open, as part of Rolex series, will be one of the biggest events prize money wise on the European tour, with the winner will be getting well over 1 million euro, prize fund will be at least 7 million

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

The prize money at the Irish is $7million.
    The prize money at the 3M Open in Minneapolis (the PGA Tour event running in parallel) is $6.4million.

3M have announced only a handful of big names like Koepka, Mickelson, Day , Reed and Dechambeau so far. This means many have yet to make up their minds about schedule . Its a new course, so no major loyalty or familiarity associated with it and not on the beaten path up in Minneapolis.

You never know, the Irish open may get a couple of decent Americans yet. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

We will know the full field for the Irish Open at Lahinch come tomorrow week. At present just 5 (Rahm, Fleetwood, Oosthuizen, Poulter and Lowry) of the world's top 50 have committed to play at the West Clare venue commencing July 4th. I do expect Justin Rose to add his name to the list of committed players (I hope anyways).

At this stage the following Irish players have committed to play in Lahinch. Graeme McDowell, Shane Lowry, Padraig Harrington, Gavin Moynihan, Paul Dunne, Seamus Power and Cormac Sharvin. I don't know about whether Paul McGinley or Darren Clarke will play in Lahinch though. There will be 4 additional qualifiers from Ireland after the conclusion of the Irish Open 36 hole qualifier in Moyvalley, which will take place on June 29th and 30th.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Rickie Fowler play.

Don’t think he has confirmed for Scotland and pre open has played links courses previously

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

They'll want to have a clinic to earn some money before the event as no appearance money to play as they just happen to be coexist.

Need a few more top names to boost the ranking points. Long way to go for a not a huge amount of ranking points.

Could be on the road for 3 weeks might put them off also.

End of the day these blokes turn up where they want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If we're talking Yanks then I think they will want to avoid Lahinch, it's a tough course and the last thing they will want is to be bet up on a links course in the weeks leading into The Open.
    Everyone assumes golfers without Links experience will want to get loads of Links golf in before The Open, Frankie hates links golf and played no links prior to his Open win last year, in fact he stayed in the US the week before (and won if I recall correctly), better to come into a Major either on form or playing well but not having been bet up in the previous week(s)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    If we're talking Yanks then I think they will want to avoid Lahinch, it's a tough course and the last thing they will want is to be bet up on a links course in the weeks leading into The Open.
    Everyone assumes golfers without Links experience will want to get loads of Links golf in before The Open, Frankie hates links golf and played no links prior to his Open win last year, in fact he stayed in the US the week before (and won if I recall correctly), better to come into a Major either on form or playing well but not having been bet up in the previous week(s)

He stayed in the US to try secure his fedex spot and spoke openly about missing the European events.

Most will be playing/practicing on links, if they want competitive golf Lahinch is the perfect opportunity. The 3 weeks away from States is a downer though because the vast majority don’t travel at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

slave1 wrote: »

"Bet up"? Is this meant to mean "beaten up"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

"Bet up"? Is this meant to mean "beaten up"?

Not that hard to grasp surely . . is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Anyone have a link to the site which shows the tide times ? In particular west Clare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Most of the Americans aren't members of the European tour so doubt they could just rock up to a rolex event if it suits them, I'd imagine they wound need to get a special invite and I'd imagine they're limited.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to the site which shows the tide times ? In particular west Clare ?

Try www.google.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement