Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Carlton K Whinge Binge...dedicated thread **spoilers**

• 10-07-2017 12:22am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Maybe to stop the race threads constantly being derailed we can post all our moaning about Carlton here..

I find him annoying, but I tune it out or turn it down or switch off generally.

Mods please close if this inappropriate
    edit, maybe also add spolier tags if its a post on race day

Comments

Oh god you've gone and done it now haven't you. :D

My 2 cents, I don't like him and I find Smith and Kelly also work better and talk more of their own volition with Hatch. However given the format Eurosport have gone for in the tour the Giro coverage was vastly superior regardless of the commentators. ITV4 here are better too as they have better guests and respond to tweets rather than just thank people for them but the ****ing ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bar the obvious biases, has anyone else noticed that he seems to have less awaremess of what is happening on the road than before? A couple of time recently he would be identifying riders incorrectly, or watching an attack go off the front and assuming it was in the chase group etc. Or a big name drops outnof the peoloton, but ck thinks its some nobody up the road. Its happening on every stage now, far more than previously., And hes often corrected by sean or whoever is alongside him

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mario Speedwagon

I don't have Eurosport, so I've been watching the stages on TG4 even though the only Irish words I know are from that Heineken advert a few years ago & "An Lar" from the bus into town.

I generally like Carlton, though. He's enthusiastic & does a tough job balancing the needs of cycling fans & the people who only watch a few days each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

A snippet from yesterday...

Kelly: and the rider, I've gone blank on his name, rides for Ag2r...
    Carlton: Fuglsang?

:facepalm:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Kelly then went on to call the aforementioned Ag2r rider Barguil not Bardet, who's team RMO! were based in Chambery. RMO haven't been see in a race since 1992 :pac:. Sometimes I think the great man is losing it & not performant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yesterday I think he descended into the worst kind of BBC\ITV commentary from football 30 years ago...
    It's a World Cup game, star player of let's say The Netherlands suffers a horrific injury, his World Cup is over and with it his teams' hopes of glory...
    The Netherlands player happens to play for an English club.
    The commentary instead of focusing on how this will mean for the player or the team in the World Cup, instead considers what impact this will have on his English club's early season performances!

Also, how hard is it to have a sheet printed and stuck on your desk with a list of all the riders and teams... and keep a running notepad updated in front of you of who is in the break?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

odyssey06 wrote: »

Also, how hard is it to have a sheet printed and stuck on your desk with a list of all the riders and teams... and keep a running notepad updated in front of you of who is in the break?

They do but when you have the guts of 200 riders im sure its hard to figure out some riders in a split second

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He was the absolute pits yesterday.

"Froome mustn't know Porte crashed or he wouldn't be riding at the front"

"Froome will dedicate any win to Porte"

And so on. Drivel, complete drivel.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I watch the Tour on ITV4.
    I don't particularly like Millar, but he is a very good commentator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Brian? wrote: »

And i 'think' he missed Froome bouncing off Aru after Froome got back in to the group, but he did see Froome putting his hand out (an apology?) and said "froome motioning to Aru, that he will talk to him later "

His commentary at the finish was class tho ... I thought he was gonna explode....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

[QUOTE=[/QUOTE]
    Eamonnator wrote: »

I watch the highlights there every evening, and i agree about Millar...
    BUT THE ADS !!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

He did miss it and then made out that Froome's apparent apology was Froome having some sort of words with Aru about his attack.

He also said that the pressure being piled on by Bardet on the descent led to the crash, which in a way it did do, except it was Froome who was pushing it and not Bardet, who was behind Porte at the time.

His commentary was a mess in the final third of the race yesterday, talking out his arse. An utter gob****e, how he got the gig I'll never know.

Somedude9 wrote: »
    He did miss it and then made out that Froome's apparent apology was Froome having some sort of words with Aru about his attack.

He also said that the pressure being piled on by Bardet on the descent led to the crash, which in a way it did so, except it was Froome who was pushing it and not Bardet, who was behind Porte.

He's was commentary was a mess in the final third of the race yesterday, talking out his arse. An utter gob****e, how he got the gig I'll never know.

I missed that. Froome was driving at the front when it happened alright.

I feel sorry for the guy, but Richie Porte is the only one to blame for his crash. All he had to do was follow a wheel but he panicked and locked up his back wheel.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I thought this thread was about my commuter bike:(

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Brian? wrote: »

kept referring to Porte as Froome's close friend. Didn't Porte say after the Dauphine something to the effect of knowing who his friends are now? (ie: not froome).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's the best.

But in fairness, he has a lot of airtime to fill, a lot of time there's absolutely nothing happening worth commenting on. I enjoy his meanderings and random observations, most people who whinge about him underestimate the difficulty of his job.

@Mod, can there be a soilers within tag be added to the thread title?

My own fault really but I managed to avoid all things tour related yesterday in order to watch the highlights at lunchtime but just read a big spoiler. If the thread is updated daily it's liable to have stage spoilers in it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've been away for a few weeks and was watching the Tour on French TV. Came back last night, turned on the recording of yesterday's stage and heard Rob Hatch's voice. Hallelujah, I thought. Gutted when Carlton later reappeared.

It's one thing being that inept, but to be so unapologetic and unashamed about it is what gets me. That and laughing at his own jokes.

It just goes to show that nobody senior in Eurosport cares enough about cycling to take any notice. Can you imagine a commentator for another sport being that ignorant about what they're working on and not only keeping their job, but being given all the plum gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I find his pro-sky bias painful, his bloody eulogising of them, and his absolute ****e about Froome being unable to continue if he only knew after the Porte crash reached peak-Kirby annoying.

I am finding him more annoying the more I listen to him, and I don't want to just mute the sound as sometimes there's important stuff in the commentary - information usually from someone other than Kirby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I like him. I like the meandering style, the errors, the honesty, the enthusiasm, the final kilometer commentary, french food and wine, french architecture and history, tour history, cringy nicknames etc...

I do realise he could be sharper etc. and do shake my head at some of the bull he comes out with but feck it, I enjoy it for what it is.

On the other hand I also like Magnus Bäckstedt. I think he's got good insight into peloton tactics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Eamonnator wrote: »

ITV 4 all the way. Knowledge commentators. No Freudians! Great highlight programme and good insights.

If I miss it; Move satellite to 19.2E and catch German Eurosport - pictures.

Who needs this Kirby guy! What was he before this gig anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I like him. From this thread alone, it seems people dislike him because he happens to like Froome.

People said the same about Duffield. He's remembered now as a legend.

Challenge anyone to speak for hours every single day during an event where nothing happens, and not say something silly or incorrect.

The lads are commentating from a makeshift studio on the finish line, watching a screen that is arguably of a worst quality than tv viewers.

They're also paying attention to race radio, tv producer, twitter etc. It's hardly surprising that they mistakenly identify a rider.

Yesterday's race thread was hysterical with one poster arguing he was racist.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Djoucer wrote: »
    Challenge anyone to speak for hours every single day during an event where nothing happens, and not say something silly or incorrect.

I think that point would stand if every commentator was as poor as Kirby, but they aren't.

As for "Woodpile" Duffield, who remembers him as a legend exactly?

I remember Duffiled once doing the Tirreno - Adriatico and calling a bunch sprint to someone who wasn't even in the race.

Everyone has their follies, look at Ligget and his fanaticism for Armstrong amongst other things. I don't think commentators, in any sport, get away without mistakes.

Look at your own job. I've often given presentations and demos to groups of people in areas I'm considered an expert in, I know the stuff inside out. Once you get talking you realise you've said something dumb or stupid afterwards or upon reviewing the recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

If I hear the words: "his name means birdsong" one more fcukin time I'm gonna snap!!

:)

I think that point would stand if every commentator was as poor as Kirby, but they aren't.

As for "Woodpile" Duffield, who remembers him as a legend exactly?

I remember Duffiled once doing the Tirreno - Adriatico and calling a bunch sprint to someone who wasn't even in the race.

Duffield was a legend for making mistakes and filling airtime with his inane chatter. Himself and Roche were great together. I don't remember him being blatantly biased towards Brits though.

they/them/theirs

True, but he was around at a time when British riders weren't as prominent.

The focus on British riders though is understandable since it is British Eurosport. If RTE were broadcasting it, they'd be all about the Irish lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

True, but he was around at a time when British riders weren't as prominent.

The focus on British riders though is understandable since it is British Eurosport. If RTE were broadcasting it, they'd be all about the Irish lads.

It's the same commentary on International Eurosport.

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    It's the same commentary on International Eurosport.

They have local commentary, unless you mean the English language commentary? Wouldn't make sense getting in an additional commentary team.

Advertisement