Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I changed the chain on my hybrid yesterday. It’s now making a rapid clicking noise when I pedal, a bit like the noise you get when indexing gears. It’s actually riding and shifting fine, it’s just noisy.

I think the new chain is one link shorter than the old one (my fault, I initially removed an outer link instead of an inner link). Both chains are SRAM 11 speed, although different models.

Any ideas? The whole drive train needs a good clean, so I guess it could be that, but it seems strange that a new, clean chain would cause a noise to suddenly start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Check the path of the chain between the two jockey wheels in the rear derailleur - there's a tab to prevent chain slap just below the top wheel, and it's easy to route the chain on the wrong side of it.

If you have, it's often easier to remove the lower jockey wheel and loosen the top one a tiny bit, so you can swing the inner plate of the jockey wheel cage around and re-route the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Type 17 wrote: »
    Check the path of the chain between the two jockey wheels in the rear derailleur - there's a tab to prevent chain slap just below the top wheel, and it's easy to route the chain on the wrong side of it.

If you have, it's often easier to remove the lower jockey wheel and loosen the top one a tiny bit, so you can swing the inner plate of the jockey wheel cage around and re-route the chain.

That’s exactly what I’ve done, thank you. I’ll sort that out shortly. Currently watching the hurling!

Update: yes, that’s fixed it. Much better! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Here's one. I've come across info on increasing spring tension in ultegra rear derailleurs (and subsequently reducing chain slap, at least to some degree)

Question is, does anyone know if the same thing can be done with the Sora R3000 RD

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Changed the headset bearings back in September before I took out the winter bike - had it on the trainer the other day and noticed this gap between the frame and fork.

Is this a sizeable gap, and if so where did I go wrong? There doesn't seem to be any play/movement but I can't remember if the gap was as big before I changed the bearings and I have no old pictures I could double check against.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

Does seem a bigger gap than normal - does it turn ok - no heavy friction?

You might have intalled something upside down - maybe lay the bike on its side and remove the stem, and you can slide things apart without taking everything completely apart (or just fully disassemble it if you're happy to do it).

Type 17 wrote: »
    Does seem a bigger gap than normal - does it turn ok - no heavy friction?

You might have intalled something upside down - maybe lay the bike on its side and remove the stem, and you can slide things apart without taking everything completely apart (or just fully disassemble it if you're happy to do it).

Have no reference for size of the gap - everything feels fine on it. Took it apart the other day and everything seemed to fit, but still a gap - will try again in a few

There's a gap at the bottom of my headset too, I've posted the picture for reference. It is correct, and the seal actually angles back up (yes my bike is dirty, no I won't go clean it immediately :D)

536341.jpg

cletus wrote: »
    There's a gap at the bottom of my headset too, I've posted the picture for reference. It is correct, and the seal actually angles back up (yes my bike is dirty, no I won't go clean it immediately :D)

That is quite a gap too...

I disassembled it and seen the order was; Fork - Bearing - Seal

So I tried; Fork - Seal - Bearing, which resulted in a tighter fit (see pic) but when I tightened up the headset, the steering was very tight and the headset wouldn't tighten properly.

I'm thinking the seal was getting in the way of the bearing seating into the crown race when compressed?

So I guess this means the gap is meant to be that big?

It just seemed counter intuitive as it is an ingress point for water and road crud, although in saying that when I serviced the headset back in August - I could have gotten away with only replacing the top bearing (sweat etc) the bottom bearing was in good nick so I guess this isn't a problem at all and a design feature? (Probably stop the bearings being crushed against the frame and fork?)

The bearing shouldn't be outside the seal. Water washing across that gap is not the same as water ingress

• Advertisement

The bearing shouldn't be outside the seal. Water washing across that gap is not the same as water ingress

So the seal should be put on to sit on the crown race followed by the bearing? It feels very gummy when the headset is tightened up

So working from the top down, you should have bottom cup, bearing, dust seal, fork race

So working from the top down, you should have bottom cup, bearing, dust seal, fork race

I'm an idiot - I had the seal the wrong way round, it's tapered on the crown race side, I had it that side facing up hence the gummy steering.

All sorted now, thanks for all the tips/help folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Speaking of headsets. I’m looking at fitting a kids seat to the front of a road bike. I’m guessing I need an ahead adapter to fit my road bike? Something like this https://www.deporvillage.net/bobike-one-mini-a-head-adapter?country=IE&gclid=Cj0KCQiAifz-BRDjARIsAEElyGJvjI8jHiedHDYlYYgLZW4ZE3R_JBwyEIMdjpVKd0ySh8Nch_a-puAaAvwlEALw_wcB

It says 4mm space needed so I imagine it replaced a headset spacer but are they not 5mm? Seems like it might be tough to find a 1mm spacer then to make up the difference?

The exact stack-height is not crucial on an A-head stem - once the top cap is not bottoming out on the top of the fork's steerer tube (too few spacers), and not so high that the upper pinch bolt on the stem is not clamping at or above the top of the (aluminium*) steerer tube, it will be fine.

2mm spacers are available, check with your LBS if you need one.

*This is more crucial on a carbon steerer tube - the clamping force shouldn't come too near the top of the steerer (many manufacturers specify that one spacer is kept above the stem, so it doesn't crack the top of the steerer)

Speaking of headsets. I’m looking at fitting a kids seat to the front of a road bike. I’m guessing I need an ahead adapter to fit my road bike? Something like this https://www.deporvillage.net/bobike-one-mini-a-head-adapter?country=IE&gclid=Cj0KCQiAifz-BRDjARIsAEElyGJvjI8jHiedHDYlYYgLZW4ZE3R_JBwyEIMdjpVKd0ySh8Nch_a-puAaAvwlEALw_wcB

It says 4mm space needed so I imagine it replaced a headset spacer but are they not 5mm? Seems like it might be tough to find a 1mm spacer then to make up the difference?

Once you take off the top cap, have a look at the difference in height between the top of the first spacer, and the top of the steerer tube.

There's normally a couple mm difference, so as long as it's greater than 1mm, you'll be ok. Remember, the top cap doesn't tighten down onto the steerer tube, it tightens to the spacer or stem

*Edited to add* I had this window open while making dinner. By the time I answered, Type17 had already posted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks guys, glad to have it confirmed from two sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I want to swap the shifters on my road bike (moving from the older RS505 Shimano non series hydraulic levers to the new R7020 105 disc levers - purely because the new ones are much more comfortable).

My bike has awkward internal cabling - if I switch is there any way of disconnecting the cables and hoses at the lever and just swapping in the new shifters, or do I need to remove the cables fully i.e. thread through the frame?

You can remove the hoses from the old levers and you should be able to refit them to the new levers (if the mounting points are in a similar location).

The outer gear cable housings can also remain under the bar tape, but the inner wires will have to be withdrawn and re-inserted with the new levers.

Feeding inner cables through an alu or carbon frame isn't too bad if you use magnets - have a look at this video (you don't necessarily need the IR-1.2 kit, just some decent magnets) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msIyofUud3A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the new ones are much more comfortable).
    what's the difference? i test rode a bike a few years ago (was 105, but i can't be certain if the levers were stock 105 or not, and if so it was the older generation anyway), and the lever hoods were weirdly long. didn't feel right in the hand.

• Advertisement

There is a fair difference:

shimano-rs505-road-shifters-left-lever-eu.jpg

Shimano-105-BR-R7070-ST-R7020-Disc-Brake-Set-spark-silver-set-front-rear--65756-286505-1568872648.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, i have mechanical 105 levers and TRP HY/RD hybrid brakes on one bike, have mulled swapping over to full hydraulic, but i dunno if it'd be worth the cost (i'm guessing over half the price of a new groupset) and the extra length in the hoods.

Apart from that relatively sharp 'step' in the RS505 hoods, they are relatively narrow like non-hydro levers, whereas the R7020's (and the R8050's that I have on my good bike) are relatively wide and flat on top, which makes them a lot more comfortable on longer runs.

Thanks for the replies. The RS505 are much bigger. I've used then for two years without an issue but I'm swapping around a lot of parts from different bikes with a view to offloading one.

I don't think having the older levers would give a massive reduction on selling value but having compared the two side by side I'm going to go through the hassle of swapping over I think

i tried pricing replacing just the brakes (levers too obviously) for 105, mechanical to hydraulic brakes. i was qualitatively (albeit not quantitatively) wrong with my guess that it'd be over half the price of a brand new groupset. seems it'd be about 85% the price of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

cheers, i have mechanical 105 levers and TRP HY/RD hybrid brakes on one bike, have mulled swapping over to full hydraulic, but i dunno if it'd be worth the cost (i'm guessing over half the price of a new groupset) and the extra length in the hoods.

Any feedback on the TRP HY/RD calipers?

Considering a set for the next frankenbike.

am happy with them; but also have an mtb with full hydraulic and unsurprisingly, there is a difference. there's obviously going to be a little bit of cable stretch with the HY/RDs so you don't get as immediate a feel off them, but i'd say in the end the actual stopping power probably doesn't suffer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Have then too on my new tourer. Fiddly to set up at first even for the lbs, but once they bed in zero issues.

I've juin techs on another bike too, and they're easier to just slap on and adjust but I think I prefer the reps, though they're on a croix de fer which goes out in the crap conditions and is a regular commuter bike so there's that to consider

I've I could get the tiagrs hydraulics or rs405s I would but the cost isn't remotely economical

i bought my bike S/H and so they were already set up, but i've never really had any issue since. main issues have been ****ty BBB pads on the rear, which once they got contaminated, couldn't be rescued, unlike any other pads i've used.

• Advertisement

Tbh there seems to be a shortage of disc components / groupsets at the moment - both new and second hand. I'm trying to sell a frameset but any of the buyers pull out when they realise they can't find a 105 disc groupset in stock anywhere, and any second hand groupsets seem to sell in minutes

Advertisement