Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beginning Road Cycling

Options
  • 30-03-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I've been doing a bit of road cycling lately, and I'm thinking of getting a racing bike, any ideas on racing bike perferably under a grand....Also, what sort of clothes would you want to optimise your cycling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

You might get some help here

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Buying_a_bicycle

You can also pick up some deals from wiggle or chainreaction cycles.

I've bought 2 bikes from wiggle and they have the bike well set up when they arrive, I think I just had to attach the handlebars and pedals. The only thing about buying on-line is you don't get to try it out first and see if it fits properly. Yhe fitting is very important.

I'm starting to think that buying from your lbs (Local bike shop) is the better option because if anything goes wrong you can just bring it back to them. I'll probably only buy on-line again if I'm getting a big saving which I did on the 2 bikes I bought.

As for bikes there's a huge amount out there so maybe you'd be better off putting a few up here that you like and people can give their opinions on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How tall are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mcronnymc

I'm roughly about 5"9 in height

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

mcronnymc wrote: »
    Also, what sort of clothes would you want to optimise your cycling?

Depends on how much and what kind of cycling you're doing, but I think a decent pair of shorts would be at the top of anyone's list. That takes care of the primary contact point with the bike. The secondary ones are covered by shoes (on long rides you can start to feel the pedals a bit through the soles of runners) and gloves (partly for padding, partly so you don't have to spend months picking gravel out of your hands if you wipe out). Depending on which side of the great religious divide you are on, a helmet might also be high on your list.

After that, cycling jerseys are handy for the pockets on the back (for food, keys etc), arm warmers and knee warmers are handy for changeable conditions (i.e. about 90% of the year in Ireland), a rain jacket (unless you have some occult knowledge that will allow you to avoid the rain), tights for cold weather cycling, base layers ditto...the list can stretch on and on.

Advertisement