Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ODTR

I've heard dance radio stations in Dublin today play Whigfield Saturday Night and 2 Unlimited No Limits. Maybe next I will hear Cotton Eye Joe. Cutting edge stuff.

Dublin needs a real dance station as there is just a lot of junk on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

ODTR wrote: »
    I've heard dance radio stations in Dublin today play Whigfield Saturday Night and 2 Unlimited No Limits. Maybe next I will hear Cotton Eye Joe. Cutting edge stuff.

Dublin needs a real dance station as there is just a lot of junk on at the moment.

Yeah what’s on in Dublin atm is mostly crap: we only need one dance classics outfit! Yet we have Now, Hot, Fresh, The Beach and RetroNow playing a lot of the same stuff.
    Make Chill Dublin-wide, only alternative pirate on. Bring Phever back as well

Yeah what’s on in Dublin atm is mostly crap: we only need one dance classics outfit! Yet we have Now, Hot, Fresh, The Beach and RetroNow playing a lot of the same stuff.
    Yes is is 2019 no station should be playing Whigfield.

We need Phever back 247 and at least one other real dance station. The current crop playing the same small selection of old dance tunes is very boring and I switch straight off. Maybe Kiss should be brave and ditch the old tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

ODTR wrote: »
    Yes is is 2019 no station should be playing Whigfield.

We need Phever back 247 and at least one other real dance station. The current crop playing the same small selection of old dance tunes is very boring and I switch straight off. Maybe Kiss should be brave and ditch the old tunes.
    I couldn't agree more .kiss seems to have a good outfit .they really should move to the new stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

castle2012 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more .kiss seems to have a good outfit .they really should move to the new stuff .

I was thinking the complete opposite, it’s great to hear the oldskool dance classics on the radio & with the introduction of Kiss & Retronow I feel they’ve upped the game, The listeners to these stations are in their 30/40s and grew up in the 90s, they wouldn’t even know the up to date tracks.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the complete opposite, it’s great to hear the oldskool dance classics on the radio & with the introduction of Kiss & Retronow I feel they’ve upped the game, The listeners to these stations are in their 30/40s and grew up in the 90s, they wouldn’t even know the up to date tracks.

Thats fine but the problem is that Hot/Now/Retro/Kiss/Fresh play a lot of 90s dance and a lot of it isn’t any good. Wall to wall 2 Unlimited, Bizare inc and all that is boring. When Phever have a 90s DJ on at least its stuff that doesn't get played much and they have decent mixing.

So many dance stations on air at huge cost and risk and probably very few listeners between them. I suppose a merger is too much to ask for here to make something decent. Too many egos involved probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

only kiss and retro now are playing all old stuff. hot fm and now fm are playing mostly new stuff with the odd old track thrown in. phever plays a mix of stuff.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

only kiss and retro now are playing all old stuff. hot fm and now fm are playing mostly new stuff with the odd old track thrown in. phever plays a mix of stuff.

When Now fm started they werent too bad but its probably 70% old dance at this stage. They are playing Ice MC Think About the Way right now. Its really bad stuff.

Fresh fm and Retro both playing 90s as usual. Out of that lot Hot fm probably playing the most new stuff in fairness.

Phever and Chill fm best for alternative dance tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

Does this KissFm have a livestream

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fmfan wrote: »

not yet as far as i know.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

fmfan wrote: »

not yet as far as i know.
    I was just going to ask the same .there has to be a stream for 1025kiss ?

I was just going to ask the same .there has to be a stream for 1025kiss ?

You’re missing very little tbh imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Odd to launch a station these days with no stream. Maybe they just have a PC up at the transmission site doing the audio playout but don't have good enough internet/4G connectivity to support an outbound audio stream?

Still sounds great today .what great jingles .if only Dublin had something like this now Listen to NRG FM Ger Fenton Show May 13th by NRGFM DUBLIN on #SoundCloud

Still sounds great today .what great jingles .if only Dublin had something like this now Listen to NRG FM Ger Fenton Show May 13th by NRGFM DUBLIN on #SoundCloud
    NRG FM was a gem of a station.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Odd to launch a station these days with no stream. Maybe they just have a PC up at the transmission site doing the audio playout but don't have good enough internet/4G connectivity to support an outbound audio stream?

For a lot of stations, particularly an automated one like Kiss, it can give little reward. Look at Phever: as excellent an operation as they are they usually have few online listeners

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Is anyone else having an issue with phever dropping out for a few seconds every 5 mins and an another station cutting in? Otherwise strong signal as far as howth summit. Love Hugo's "the best sets" show.

OK you’re right tbf in that Hot and Now play new stuff, but I guess a lot of us are used to having a full-on underground station to listen to on FM
    Edit: I realise Phever is back on since, I’m just responding generally

For a lot of stations, particularly an automated one like Kiss, it can give little reward. Look at Phever: as excellent an operation as they are they usually have few online listeners

Agree it's very hard to gain significant numbers of listeners online these days for new stations - but it's the expectation now that a radio station would have an internet stream. Same with a social media page, it's just one of those things. A stream also gives those outside of the normal FM coverage area a way to tune in. There's no major expense here, €8/month or less will cover them.

For those stations with streams, I have heard some with zero audio processing. This makes them sound flat in comparison to the thousands of other online stations and their audio levels can go all over the place. So, to ease the pain of the listener and to stand out from the others (or at least match them) they definitely should add stream audio processing. Stereo Tool is very capable and starts from only €35. 😊

Is anyone else having an issue with phever dropping out for a few seconds every 5 mins and an another station cutting in? Otherwise strong signal as far as howth summit. Love Hugo's "the best sets" show.
    Did you catch which station was cutting in? I think there may be a legal station (BBC R4?) from Wales on the same frequency, which can be picked up sometimes around north county Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Did you catch which station was cutting in? I think there may be a legal station (BBC R4?) from Wales on the same frequency, which can be picked up sometimes around north county Dublin.
    BBC Radio Scotland (94.2 is BBC Wales)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Anyone have a clue where BBC Radio Ulster on 94.4 is transmitting from?
    It's fluttering in and out like crazy with aircraft scatter in Balbriggan.
    The usual frequency lists have drawn a blank.
    A low powered relay somewhere around the Mournes, perhaps?
    It's definitely not on 94.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

There is nowhere that I'm aware of which is 0.1 down from Divis - it has to be 94.5 you are hearing

Kiss 1025 are looking for DJs, so presumably they are planning for live shows.

Picking up a stereo carrier on 88.8 FM out my way. Not sure if this is the "Dance FM 88.8" station that sometimes broadcasts on low power from Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Picking up a stereo carrier on 88.8 FM out my way. Not sure if this is the "Dance FM 88.8" station that sometimes broadcasts on low power from Clondalkin.

It's not one that has turned up regularly on these bandscans. Is it an occasional pirate and does it tend to turn up on random days, rather than specific times of the week? How does 88.8 rank as a frequency that can be used without causing any issues for legals?

It's not one that has turned up regularly on these bandscans. Is it an occasional pirate and does it tend to turn up on random days, rather than specific times of the week? How does 88.8 rank as a frequency that can be used without causing any issues for legals?
    It was always very random, however I could only barely get it in the car at the times it was on. This evening however its locking on a scan in the house. It could be something different, or else they've increased power.

Update - it's not the 88.8 station from Clondalkin/Ballyfermot.

Anybody else getting it around Dublin?

88.8 is now Easy Radio. RDS is rotating as EASY > RADIO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

88.8 is now Easy Radio. RDS is rotating as EASY > RADIO.

Why did they move from 93.2? That seems to have been a reliable frequency to use.

Advertisement