Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM104 phoneshow

• 12-06-2019 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭

Why has this nightly show gone to the dogs?? It used to be great back in the nights of Kennedy and Jeremy and they would go till 1am. Now it’s just repeats and reruns, and the topics being discussed is just pure paff. There doesn’t seem to be any serious discussions any more. And the female presenter is terrible, she just wants to talk about herself all the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Yeah its gone to the dogs alright. Cant be called a phoneshow anymore. Just two twats talking about themselves. Nobody cares...
    A real shame to see the way its gone. Awful waste of a slot.

Eta: Whats Greg Merriman doing these days. Would love to see him back to do the show properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

The Phoneshow is no more. Cormac and Saoirse's new show is called Room 104.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

So instead of talking about pressing issues around Dublin like gangland, crime, housing, jobs etc the show now spends the night talking about what it’s like to be a stand up comedian or how saoirse love life is. It’s worse now than the Sunday night show at least that plays some ok Irish music sometimes.

So instead of talking about pressing issues around Dublin like gangland, crime, housing, jobs etc the show now spends the night talking about what it’s like to be a stand up comedian or how saoirse love life is. It’s worse now than the Sunday night show at least that plays some ok Irish music sometimes.

I don't think Cormac was too interested in doing an intense late-night talk show like the Phoneshow in the first place. I always got that feeling off him whenevr he filled in for Keith. He's more of a comedy guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

end of an era so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Why has this nightly show gone to the dogs?? It used to be great back in the nights of Kennedy and Jeremy and they would go till 1am. Now it’s just repeats and reruns, and the topics being discussed is just pure paff. There doesn’t seem to be any serious discussions any more. And the female presenter is terrible, she just wants to talk about herself all the time.

I am eternally confused about this station. Is the station called FM 104 or Classic Hits? Or both? Does it have Boylan on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there are 2 stations. 4 fm which is now called classic hits, which has boylan. then there is fm104. both different stations with different owners.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

heap of crap to be honest

If the Phoneshow was to return in it's proper format at some stage, who would you like to present it?

If the Phoneshow was to return in it's proper format at some stage, who would you like to present it?

The lack of answers just shows the pure state of radio in this country. Its all garbage now.
    I do like Niall B on classic hits, in small doses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Niall is better imho

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Radio has changed and it’s great to see 104 moving with the times, Chris Barry & then Adrian were great but that was 10 years ago even more, Social media has killed off those type of shows, Listen to Niall Boylan for a week and you’ll hear the same 25 listeners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I've put it on a few times for some light entertainment to hear the knackers screaming at each other but what's happened calling it a phoneshow is a bit misleading now it's just like a normal talk show now what the hell happened. Used to regularly listen to it with Chris at the helm but went off it but was still going to tune in now and again for entertainment purposes. Why aren't they discussing issues anymore and when did Keith leave?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I've put it on a few times for some light entertainment to hear the knackers screaming at each other but what's happened calling it a phoneshow is a bit misleading now it's just like a normal talk show now what the hell happened. Used to regularly listen to it with Chris at the helm but went off it but was still going to tune in now and again for entertainment purposes. Why aren't they discussing issues anymore and when did Keith leave?

It just gradually got like this over the past 2 years. There was a fella who was very good even better than AK, think his name was Greg. Then he left and it kept going for another while, but then they kept playing repeats and eventually ended up with these 2 muppets who just talk about themselves especially the girl.
    I feel sorry for the older regular listeners, some of them used to call in regularly.
    I don’t understand why it let this happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Eta: Whats Greg Merriman doing these days. Would love to see him back to do the show properly.

Was it the Openline he did way back?

It just gradually got like this over the past 2 years. There was a fella who was very good even better than AK, think his name was Greg. Then he left and it kept going for another while, but then they kept playing repeats and eventually ended up with these 2 muppets who just talk about themselves especially the girl.
    I feel sorry for the older regular listeners, some of them used to call in regularly.
    I don’t understand why it let this happen??

They'd be better off just scrapping the show altogether and just play music during the slot like the rest of the day or go back to the old format. One the reasons why I stopped listening was that I found after a while the same or very similar topics were coming up over and over again usually relationship issues which is fine but I like a bit of variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Just saw today on the podcasts app that their podcast for Room 104 is listed as "New & Noteworthy" by Apple. Had a listen and there's an interesting interview (albeit a bit long at 24 minutes) with a private investigator but nothing else I wanted to listen to.

Doesn't look like there's a consistent theme in content from the podcast episode titles but maybe over time, there will be a couple of themes? Not sure on it yet anyway.

I’ve just stopped listening to it anyway. It is complete garbage. Dunno how those running things can’t see that. I know radio is a tough enough gig and staff jump ship from station to station, but the fm104 phoneshow used to be like a Dublin institution.
    I think their website is all over the place also. Though could say the same about other stations websites.

The ratings torpedoed thanks to Chris Barry. I thought at the time that David Harvey might have been a better fit.

The ratings torpedoed thanks to Chris Barry. I thought at the time that David Harvey might have been a better fit.

Tony the monkey child would have been better than Chris Barry.

• Advertisement

It wasn't the "open mic" was it?
    Can't remember to be honest but I thought his style was perfect for night time, caller centred, chat radio.

It wasn't the "open mic" was it?
    Can't remember to be honest but I thought his style was perfect for night time, caller centred, chat radio.

The Overnighter!

I knew Openline didn't quite sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chilloutrelax

The Overnighter!

I knew Openline didn't quite sound right.

Greg used to present the overnighter from 1am until 6 on weekdays... the first hour of the show was called the Openline

He great games, 5 in 10, beat the intro etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Where is Keith Ward gone? Show was awful the last few times I listened in, didn't even realise it had changed presenters

Greg used to present the overnighter from 1am until 6 on weekdays... the first hour of the show was called the Openline

He great games, 5 in 10, beat the intro etc

That's the one!

Heard there was this mad show on a Dublin station during my leaving cert year, down the country, and then spent many a school day knackered from listening to it.

Good times.

Gimme back my balloons... :)

Gimme back my balloons... :)

Jesus that takes me back :D

Am I right in saying that Tony was Jim Jim...possibly before Jim Jim had a proper gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

That's the one!

Heard there was this mad show on a Dublin station during my leaving cert year, down the country, and then spent many a school day knackered from listening to it.

Good times.

Yeah, I used to be listening to this in bed trying not to laugh out loud. Same few characters ringing in. I know JimJim was Tony the Monkey Child.

Did it really happen as I remember? He was asked in for a live show with the 'oul wan' and her sholley (shopping trolley) and they ended up giving him a job?

I think I have a recording of the show somewhere. Tony's songs were great.

Funny thing is the show was better with Chris Barry than it is now

• Advertisement

Adrian and Jeremy left in 2013, after which Chris Barry came back to present the Phoneshow for a second time(he first left for 98fm in 1997). His initial co-presenter(in 2013) was Crossy, who was later replaced by Keith Ward. Greg Merriman would fill in for Chris whenever he was off. Chris left FM104 for the second time in late 2016. He was then replaced by Keith Ward. Keith's initial co-presenter was John Berrill, later Cormac Moore. Keith left FM104 recently, after which the Phoneshow was ended.

Advertisement