Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭fire_man

"They are beautiful names,so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Mario on breakfast....................car crash radio.

I was listening to him for 10-15mins this morn...he's got a really weird rapport with other ppl that are taling to him, news readers, traffic ppl, the callers this morn. Like someone making a bad joke or trying to sound edgy. Just sounds very cold, strange.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

RMAOK wrote: »
    The kids were hardly injured from all that kitchen dancing as well, were they??? :eek:

They were injured the worst. Mothers throwing them around the kitchen, dislocating shoulders and elbows, fathers stepping on toddlers in the excitement, kids being let slip and flying through windows.......Carnage, Ted, carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

whiterebel wrote: »
    They were injured the worst. Mothers throwing them around the kitchen, dislocating shoulders and elbows, fathers stepping on toddlers in the excitement, kids being let slip and flying through windows.......Carnage, Ted, carnage.

Carnage???? Really - and not a swing in sight??? :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Mariead Ronan in for the week filling in for muireann.it has to he better than the ramblings and hyperness of muireann

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

RMAOK wrote: »
    Good God :eek:

Speaking of stand ins - Kelly Ann Byrne is doing a fine job imo filling in for Paul mcloone. Think she's going to be there for a few weeks more.

What is it with radio presenters and pronunciation? The way she pronounces her own name? Colly on Born. She sounds like a parody at times.
    I’m waiting for “yes mate, it’s for charidee......" although that would be Niall Colbert on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

sligono1 wrote: »
    Mariead Ronan in for the week filling in for muireann.it has to he better than the ramblings and hyperness of muireann

Like choosing a dose of the clap over a dose of the trots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Only heard some of this yesterday but what I heard I thought she did well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

Niall Colbert is absolutely dire with pronunciations. All his “t’s” are pronounced as “d’s”. It’s incredibly irritating.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    What is it with radio presenters and pronunciation? The way she pronounces her own name? Colly on Born. She sounds like a parody at times.
    I’m waiting for “yes mate, it’s for charidee......" although that would be Niall Colbert on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

falls into the category of very unlikeable person along with kathryn thomas and lucy kennedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

falls into the category of very unlikeable person along with kathryn thomas and lucy kennedy.

3 people on your list and they are all women. Hmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Why do they persist with this Nonie s**te all the time on Dermot & Dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Bring back that map game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

WallyGUFC wrote: »

They're really running it into the ground now, as they do most things on TodayFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Its completely stupid and desperately unfunny! Like a terrible rip off of Mrs. Brown (and that's shocking all by itself). A middle aged fella pretending to be an oul woman is not funny imo.

I dunno, someone must find it hilarious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

JoeA3 wrote: »

Its completely stupid and desperately unfunny! Like a terrible rip off of Mrs. Brown (and that's shocking all by itself). A middle aged fella pretending to be an oul woman is not funny imo.

I dunno, someone must find it hilarious?

Culchies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

What an amazing dose of negativity. Not a people person, are you?

Actually - that goes for a lot of people on this thread! What is it people are looking for in daytime radio DJs? Insightful social commentary? An encyclopedic knowledge of music (wait, someone mentioned Kelly-Anne Byrne knew her stuff a few pages back and was told "she looks it up on the internet")? Infowars or Gemma O'Doherty style rants?

It's daytime radio, ffs. You'll get some competitions, some light-hearted banter, the lighter side of news, and a playlist pitched at the station's age demographic. Like every other music station. Most of it hits the mark. Some of it doesn't. Don't like it? Do what I do when Muireann starts talking about something that came up on my Google News feed 5 days previously - switch over. Nobody's making you listen to it.

Mod -- Again with this. Threads are not exclusive zones for fans or for critics. If they were to be, they would soon become insipid. We welcome differences of opinion, espcially when exchanged civilly. Please don't do this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

What is it people are looking for in daytime radio DJs?

#bringbackanton

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think they should plug the 10k giveaway more......

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

I don't mind Matt Cooper and listen to him most evenings but this 5 at 5 and 6 at 6 gets on my tits, either read the f*cking news yourself or let the newsreader do it all, this craic of him half announcing a headline is a load of bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Am struggling with no Premier League Live going forward but do love the Last Word until I switch back to a local radio station which offers a competitive alternative.

However I do bemoan the loss of Anton Savage in the morning; imagine Today FM were to revamp their schedule and adopt an RTE Radio 1 effort from 9 til 10; he'd be awesome at it or even the 2 or 3 hours from 9am-12 Noon or 10am-12 Noon.

There's a big Ray D'Arcy shaped hole yet to be properly filled and but for Last Word & PLL they could be 2FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you not find TLW has too much filler?

If you combine all the actual discussion, I'd say it would amount to about 70 or 80mins of a 150min show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Am struggling with no Premier League Live going forward but do love the Last Word until I switch back to a local radio station which offers a competitive alternative.

However I do bemoan the loss of Anton Savage in the morning; imagine Today FM were to revamp their schedule and adopt an RTE Radio 1 effort from 9 til 10; he'd be awesome at it or even the 2 or 3 hours from 9am-12 Noon or 10am-12 Noon.

There's a big Ray D'Arcy shaped hole yet to be properly filled and but for Last Word & PLL they could be 2FM!

Any word on Premier League Live returning elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

pjohnson wrote: »
    Any word on Premier League Live returning elsewhere.

Nope. Hope Newstalk hold onto the double header on Sundays.

Other than that? Smartphone users'll have to use BBC Radio 5 Live and a VPN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭ John Late Camera

Didn’t know PLL was gone

Did they give it up or lose it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Didn’t know PLL was gone

I am assuming that the Premier League is over and will be back in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Didn’t know PLL was gone

I am assuming that the Premier League is over and will be back in August.
    Well the premier league is over until august but it was announced that the last one in May was the last one on todayfm. More time on Saturdays for content creators I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the premier league is over until august but it was announced that the last one in May was the last one on todayfm. More time on Saturdays for content creators I suppose.

they need to squeeze room for a snapchat or Instagram "star" or give Alision Curtis another few hours for dancing in the kitchen

And yeah, TLW content is constantly being reduced and just more ads, contests, and inane content from Gannon/Roe McDermott/whomever is offended on Twitter as it's trying to draw a younger audience and they feel debate/discussion on serious topics of the day is passé and put on more tabloid stuff on it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lads I was home there last week so I dove in and out of a few shows.
    I think D & D are perfect for that but I could see them grating if its a daily thing. That Nonny thing isn't funny at all and that was only the 3rd time I'd heard it.
    I did lol at Dempsey asking why her buddy was called "Fizzy Knickers", lovely on air hot potatoe that was.

Pamela Joyce on early morning was an easy listen too, no really filler in her show at that stage but seemed able to carry it.
    Seemed a more "normal" version of yer one McSweeney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Radio Radio

Advertising income has collapsed for old fashioned media like Today FM which is why there has been major cutbacks to the weekend schedule the past year, Neil Delamare, Hector, The business show, the gaa summer show, Nadine O Reagin and the primership all gone. Another shocking cutback is to be announced this summer which will set this thread on fire... Watch this space.... And it's completely unfair to blame Today Fms on air talent or management, advertisers simply aren't that interested in putting their money into radio anymore. It's funny how clueless people on here are so flippend with #bringbackanton without realising how expensive the Anton savage show was to produce, it had 10 members of staff, most of whom were made redundant following Savage's departure. D&D have more or less the same listenership without the massive cost and background team required to run a magazine program.

Advertisement