Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hip Hop 2018

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

earl sweatshirt , only one listen so far but its sounding pretty special , some nice soul samples in there

New Ice Cube, great production

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Going to listen to the new Cube in a bit.

I've listened to the new Black Though EP and I dig it, production is much better compared to Vol 1.
    Also tried to listen to the new Meek Mill album because of rave reviews, but it's awful sounding. Couldn't get into it at all.
    Rob Sonic released a new album called Defriender the other day as well, I'm not that fussed about it, I have to give it another listen but was a bit disappointed with it.

New EARL is great though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Czarface V Ghostface is coming next year, here's the first single:

https://soundcloud.com/silveragerecords/iron-claw

Not bad.

Here's the Ambrosia For Heads top 15 albums this year:

https://ambrosiaforheads.com/2018/12/best-rap-hiphop-albums-2018/?fbclid=IwAR3GO4pK1U86aGKIdKnUKxmK6AnYcRJrUaImVP5ThYyRc3ygERqV0JmN0xY

Haven't heard them all yet, but there's a few there I agree with. Great to see Saba there

• Advertisement

New Cube song is OK, it's all about the music, and that's just a remastered version of an old Funkadelic song I think.

Listening to that JID DiCaprio 2 album at the moment, it's rather good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Mac was nominated for a Grammy for Swimming. Wish he was here to see it.

https://twitter.com/Navjosh/status/1071038239148957696

Just watched the documentary G-Funk on YouTube originals

Very enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Wu Tang Clan up on Tiny Desk since yesterday.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Wu Tang Clan up on Tiny Desk since yesterday.

New album? didn't even know!
    Been busy with Ice Cube on loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

New Ice Cube song I've heard are brutal. It's like he's pulling random things out of a hat and rapping about them, badly.

not a bad list , going to work my way through a few that i've not heard yet

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-best-rap-albums-of-2018/

F*ck it, I'm going to listen through that full list.
    Starting with Armand Hammer, my god this album is glorious.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    F*ck it, I'm going to listen through that full list.
    Starting with Armand Hammer, my god this album is glorious.

yeah its really good , got as far as Benny the Butcher reminds me of company flow /indie hip hop , loving it

I'm on Bbymutha now, never heard about this one til now.

How is Mac Miller's Swimming not on that list?

It's in the top 3 albums of the year for me along with Daytona and Redemption.

With the caveat that I haven't given more than a cursory glance at Astroworld or Earl Sweatshirt, which a lot of people seem to rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

How is Mac Miller's Swimming not on that list?

It's in the top 3 albums of the year for me along with Daytona and Redemption.

With the caveat that I haven't given more than a cursory glance at Astroworld or Earl Sweatshirt, which a lot of people seem to rate.

Was wondering that myself as it's a masterpiece in my eyes. Though I guess theres a case it might not be considered "rap" maybe?

• Advertisement

Maybe so, but I'd find it hard to consider it anything but a rap album. There is more singing of hooks or choruses but pretty much every verse is rapped rather than sung.

I know a lot of people only came to him due to his death, and I'm probably one of them (though more because of his tiny desk than his death) but despite that it is a true masterpiece of an album for me and one of my favourite albums of all time if I'm honest.

I think there are a few things about Swimming. People will be afraid to put it on end of year lists because of what happened. It's also not a hip or edgy album, he doesn't dye his hair pink.....the album itself is more a culmination of everything he has done so far and channeled into one body of work, so people who have followed his career would lean way more towards it.
    I don't know if it should be on the end of year lists as it's way more of a personal album than a commercial album.

Does any of that make sense!

I can see the arguments against it.

As a standalone it may just sound like a nice album to someone who hasn't followed him, dug into his past or followed his development.

At the same time, it is such a complete album in terms of theme, arc and storyline. The music and production is beautiful and I can listen to it over and over without ever skipping a song.

But yeah, I can see why it might be seen as a "nice" album to listen to without any real commercial singles if you didn't do any digging any deeper on meanings or themes.

EDIT:

Just to add - I totally agree with you on it being a culmination of everything he had done so far.

I mean it addresses the addiction and depression, fear and anxiety that made his Faces and Watching Movies albums so dark and intriguing, yet he has packaged it in a totally different manner, with easy listening beats and it just seems so much more developed and mature. He really sounds comfortable with what he is doing and who he is, as opposed to someone who is searching for where he fits in (musically) like we see him developing over those albums (plus Macadelic).

The saddest part of it all for me is that we won't get to see the results of that development culminate in further projects to see where he could have gone with it all.

That said, the rumours about him having pretty much completed his next project (Circles) are hopefully true, and I'm hoping we will get to hear it sooner rather than later if his family choose to release it, which from what I have read and heard was his wish prior to his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I'm only getting around to Lupe's latest album now. How you people find the time to listen to all these albums amazes me.

I'm only getting around to Lupe's latest album now. How you people find the time to listen to all these albums amazes me.

All takes place in work for me! Luckily i cam sit at the desk with earphones in.

Loving Hermit and the Recluse, totally passed me by

All takes place in work for me! Luckily i cam sit at the desk with earphones in.

I've that luxury as well, plus I have an hour commute each way. When I'm running I throw something on, and if I'm in the laptop at home I'd normally have something rocking.
    There is also always something playing on the bluetooth speakers around the house as well, that's not normally new stuff though, has to be child friendly :)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've that luxury as well, plus I have an hour commute each way. When I'm running I throw something on, and if I'm in the laptop at home I'd normally have something rocking.
    There is also always something playing on the bluetooth speakers around the house as well, that's not normally new stuff though, has to be child friendly :)

Child friendly can be tough, nearly everything has an explicit warning on it. I just tell the young lad we can't repeat the bold words :pac: its worked so far but he is only 5..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Pitchfork gave Mac Millers first album 1/10. They warmed to him a bit later but they were never that gone on him so putting him in best albums of the year would probably be a little out of character.

Just keeping up with singles on blogs/tumblr is a lot. A lot of them do best tracks of the month lists so I've listened to hundreds of tracks this year but feck all full lengths.

• Advertisement

It's 2019, cough cough :D

Advertisement