Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solicitors preliminary exam for non graduates

• 23-01-2017 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all

I am taking these preliminary exams in March with the Law Society and i'm just looking to speak with anyone who has experience with them as there is very little on them and I can't find one person who has done them.

Would really appreciate anyone's help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭allybabe84

RebeccaM90 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am taking these preliminary exams in March with the Law Society and i'm just looking to speak with anyone who has experience with them as there is very little on them and I can't find one person who has done them.

I'm in the same boat as yourself but I'll be doing these exams March next year, I'll be 34. Did you study for them on your own or did get any outside tutoring? I got the exam papers from the Law Society, they look quite daunting...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebeccaM90

allybabe84 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm in the same boat as yourself but I'll be doing these exams March next year, I'll be 34. Did you study for them on your own or did get any outside tutoring? I got the exam papers from the Law Society, they look quite daunting...

Hi Ally,

I sat these exams in February. The syllabus is extremely broad in the general knowledge paper. If you study the past exam papers you will see the same questions come up but phrased differently. They are quite some work tho. Don't be fooled into thinking this exam is easy-it required study.

I bought the 'Irish Politics' book by Coakley and Gallagher-this helped me an awful lot. It was the general knowledge which I hit a wall with as you can't study for this. I showed the exam paper to numerous solicitors who were stunned at the questions. I will let you know how I get on when I get my exams results in a few weeks. I might be seeing you next year yet. I'll keep you posted, I know how little information there is out there about them. If you have any other questions let me know. Hope this helps!

Rebecca

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭allybabe84

Fingers crossed you pass first time! I just got the Coakley and Gallagher book on politics, so I'm just working my way through chapter 1 (I want to watch Michael Collins again now lol).

My cousin is sitting her Leaving Cert this year so she said she can give me notes on writing English essays that sort of thing, but yes it's the general knowledge paper that has me stumped!

I think I'm going to start by brushing up on names of things in Irish, the glossary there after the preface in Coakley and Gallagher will help, but yeah it's quite hard to prepare for something without a syllabus...!

Good luck with your exams

Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Redmond26

Hi all,

I am just wondering how you both got on with the Preliminary Exam and if you have any tips regarding the preparation of same. I can find very little online and am hoping to sit them next year. Any information you can give on these I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks a mill!

Redmond26 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am just wondering how you both got on with the Preliminary Exam and if you have any tips regarding the preparation of same. I can find very little online and am hoping to sit them next year. Any information you can give on these I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks a mill!

Hi there,

I sat these exams in 2016, passed English and Irish government and politics no problem however failed general knowledge (extremely difficult). The exam consisted of some bizarre questions which I would not consider general knowledge, Coakley and Gallagher was a great help when studying for Irish Gov exam. English was also fine, no assistance needed but there was no prescribed syllabus.

I decided not to sit the exam again and I am now in my 3rd year of my law degree and will hopefully sit my FE1s in October 2020.

I’m addition, I agree there is very little information regarding this exam and I did contact the law society for assistance but there was no assistance.

Not sure this helps but very best of luck. I may have the papers still if that would help, I ordered all previous past papers from the LS. I could scan them to whoever needs them.

Rebecca

• Advertisement

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks a million for the prompt reply.

General knowledge just seems so vague and is definitely my main concern. I have completed a legal studies diploma which took two years and then found out upon completing it that it was a level 6 as opposed to the required level 7 - completely my own fault for not investigating properly! But now I really want to get going and the preliminary exam would be the quickest route.

Did you need to take much time off work in advance of the exams? How did you go about applying? The application form on the Law Society's website is dated last year's date (surprise surprise).

Sorry about all the questions and thank you so much for getting back to me!

Thanks,
    L

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks a million for the prompt reply.

General knowledge just seems so vague and is definitely my main concern. I have completed a legal studies diploma which took two years and then found out upon completing it that it was a level 6 as opposed to the required level 7 - completely my own fault for not investigating properly! But now I really want to get going and the preliminary exam would be the quickest route.

Did you need to take much time off work in advance of the exams? How did you go about applying? The application form on the Law Society's website is dated last year's date (surprise surprise).

Sorry about all the questions and thank you so much for getting back to me!

Thanks,
    L

Hi L

No problem at all I know how frustrating it is when there is zero information. The year I did mine there were 7 of us doing it so numbers are low for these exams.

General knowledge was by far the hardest. Very few questions are throughout the years. If you have 5 years experience in a law firm you may be exempt from prelims, have you looked into this? Work gave me the days off for the exams and I took annual
    Leave to study, I did most studying in evenings. I contacted the law society when I was applying and they told me to use the ones on the website.

If you need anything else let me know

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca.

I am trying to order the test papers online logged in as one of my colleagues and it isn’t letting me order them. I’m going to try another account but I find it strange that you have to have a Law Society account to pay for test papers.

I checked with the Law Society about the 5 years’ experience and you have to have worked technically as a “legal clerk/executive” which is unfortunate as my current title is legal secretary but I was a legal executive in the first firm I worked in. I think I’m going to give them a go in any event even though the thought of the general knowledge exam is daunting!

Again, thanks for your help – it’s hard to find people who have sat this exam.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 39 raehogan

Hi Redmond,

Are you sitting the prelim in February this year? How's the study going? I have just decided to go for it after humming and hawing over it for a while.

Rae

Thanks Rebecca.

I am trying to order the test papers online logged in as one of my colleagues and it isn’t letting me order them. I’m going to try another account but I find it strange that you have to have a Law Society account to pay for test papers.

I checked with the Law Society about the 5 years’ experience and you have to have worked technically as a “legal clerk/executive” which is unfortunate as my current title is legal secretary but I was a legal executive in the first firm I worked in. I think I’m going to give them a go in any event even though the thought of the general knowledge exam is daunting!

Again, thanks for your help – it’s hard to find people who have sat this exam.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Equinejobs

Hi all,

I missed the date to apply this year, I’m going to study for next years exam ,

I’d be interested in any advice anyone has .
    Best of luck to everyone taking the exams this feb on 25/26th,
    Also if anybody Has the past exam papers I’d be interested in seeing them ,

Good luck again
    Mark

• Advertisement

raehogan wrote: »
    Hi Redmond,

Are you sitting the prelim in February this year? How's the study going? I have just decided to go for it after humming and hawing over it for a while.

Rae

Hi Rae,

I didn't in the end and I'm kicking myself over it.

I did contact the Law Society a few months back asking for an updated 2020 application form (as the 2019 application form was on their website up until a few months ago) but they never responded and I suppose it was then put on the long finger.

I really hope to do them next year but I am expecting a baby in September so I'll see how I'm getting on closer to the time. It would be great to get them done and passed but I know they aren't meant to be the easiest.

How did you find the application process and did you obtain the relevant study materials easily? How are you finding studying for them?

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jen halfway

Hi all

Hey

Just sat these exams.

Hey how long after did you receive your results.

Regards,
    Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Prelim2020

Hey

Just sat these exams.

Regards,
    Jen

Hi Jen,

How did you get on? I'm thinking of sitting next year's exams. I got some of the reading materials from the syllabus and still debating whether to get the prep course from City Colleges. The Law Society's resources on this are currently out-of-date so not very helpful.

Thanks

Hey

Just sat these exams.

Regards,
    Jen

Hi Jen

Very best of luck with the results. I think I got mine via post 8 weeks after taking the exams. I have actually just found my past papers that I have ordered from the law society. I'll try my best to scan these in for anyone who needs them.

I've finished my Law Degree now and will be sitting the FE1s next March. Hope to see you there :)

Rebecca

allybabe84 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed you pass first time! I just got the Coakley and Gallagher book on politics, so I'm just working my way through chapter 1 (I want to watch Michael Collins again now lol).

My cousin is sitting her Leaving Cert this year so she said she can give me notes on writing English essays that sort of thing, but yes it's the general knowledge paper that has me stumped!

I think I'm going to start by brushing up on names of things in Irish, the glossary there after the preface in Coakley and Gallagher will help, but yeah it's quite hard to prepare for something without a syllabus...!

Good luck with your exams

Alison

Hi Alison

How did you get on with the exams in the end? I haven't been on here for awhile.

Rebecca

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciara.fortune

Hi Rebecca, I'm thinking about sitting the preliminary exam next year and was just wondering if you could send me the past exam papers ? I have ordered a set from the Law Society but have no idea when they will arrive 😕

P.s thanks for starting this thread its the only human source of information I have found !

Jen how did the exams go for you ?

Ciara

Hi Rebecca, I'm thinking about sitting the preliminary exam next year and was just wondering if you could send me the past exam papers ? I have ordered a set from the Law Society but have no idea when they will arrive 😕

P.s thanks for starting this thread its the only human source of information I have found !

Jen how did the exams go for you ?

Ciara

Hi Ciara I have just tried my best to scan them. Just have to put them in page order and I will email them across to you.

Also if anyone else needs them can they PM their email address and I will send them out tomorrow.
    Very best of luck, I have my first FE1 this year, it’s a long road...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hdavis30

Hi Guys
    I am sitting the Preliminaries in a few weeks.
    I have all past papers from 2014 - 2019
    just wondering does anyone have a copy of the 2020 Preliminary papers?
    I studied course with Citi Colleges. Found their content and way of teaching very good.
    The Tutorials focus a lot on past papers and the Coakley and Gallagher Book mainly chapters 1,4,6 and 16.
    Thank you
    Helena

update: I should say I just got an email now. Immediately after I posted this query. I am due to have a copy of the 2020 paper next week.

some reads that assisted with my studies

Brexit and Ireland - Tony Connelly
    The Arms Crisis of 1970 - Michael Henney (COVERED ALOT OF OUR PAST LEADERS/POLITICIANS/ TAOISEACH SO IF THERE ARE ANY ESSAYS ON JACK LYNCH CHARLES HAUGHEY SEAN LEMASS DE VALERA BLOODY SUNDAY AND MORE YOU WOULD HAVE GOOD FOUNDATIONS FOR AN ESSAY/QUESTION TO ANSWER)
    some white papers (I GOOGLED THESE PAPERS)
    TK Whitaker papers - UCD ARCHIVES
    anglo irish free trade area dec 1965
    ESRI - MODELLING THE IMPACT OF DEAL AND NO DEAL
    Catherine Corless Report - Mothers and babies Home (this ties into Catholic church and Fianna Fail Government at the time so the Mary Magee case 1973 is a nice one to tie in there and the family planning bill of 1978- haughey and 8th amendment 1983 ) i think this will be a very topical question.
    Education minster- Norma Foley and the special needs issues for families and teachers and the leaving certificate predicated grades.

As for General Knowledge I have learnt the past papers. watching alot of news with the EU, Covid, China, Russia (you know that EU news channel that does be on very early in the morning). That is very wide but I am hoping we are given more topical issues since 2020 was such a unusual year.
    but topics like our debt since covid, vaccines issues, leaders over each department or country. I am trying to stay on top of UK politics as much as possible. how the stock market was recently comprised by gamers over gamestop shares, what trade deals uk have done since brexit exit and what ones we are looking to do. but I guess from what I have read on the threads on General Knowledge seems to be more appropriate to ask..how long is a piece of string

I will keep you updated if I get the 2020 papers
    but for now i will keep reading and hopefully i get questions I will be able to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 peterra

hello everyone,

I'm going to be sitting the preliminaries and would like to get my hands on the past years exam papers, if any of you could forward them to me i would be most grateful.

ps. thanks Rebecca for starting this discussing.

Post edited by peterra on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MB2022

Hi everyone, so thankfully on my second attempt I passed these exams! I came just a few points short on one paper the last time around so was pretty devastated! Thankfully the second attempt I passed all three. But I’m hoping I can help someone else out there who is looking to do these exams and feeling out of their depth. I have an amazing set of notes / essays/ flash cards that I think cover everything you could possibly need to pass all three papers!… I’m almost OCD with my notes! 😂 It can be hard to know where to start for this exam as it seems such an immense area of study and no real guidance as to where to even start so I’m more than happy to give them to whoever would like them and hopefully they help someone else on the first leg of this journey as they did for me! I’m in south Dublin so they can be collected - unfortunately too much for email or post! DM me if interested. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 robynD1510

Hi! Can’t seem to DM you! These would be amazing I will pay for postage no problem or if you can scan or take pictures of them I’d be so grateful I’m in Australia at the minute and I’m coming home before the exams so I need all the help I can get 😅🥲

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fenton3000

Hi folks , this information is amazing , thank you all so much. I hope to sit the preliminary exam in 2023 so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 izzy3498

Hey anyone else sitting the preliminaries next year? I tried to message you @fenton3000 about them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lucy357

Hi there - sitting the exams in March looking for any tips or tricks I’m worried I have left it a bit tight for study time 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MandI82

Hi Lucy357, hoping to sit these exams this year. I've applied and paid but haven't heard anything yet, terrified there's a problem 😰 My mind feels so muddled with trying to study. Am I looking at the right things, am I wasting my time with this or that. How is your study going?

Can anybody shed light on where the Preliminary exam is normally held or when you find out venue. Looking at booking accommodation in Dublin and don't want to be miles away. Thanks for any help!

My guess is that they’ll be held at the law society, I’m not 100% sure I would just say it would be in and around Dublin City centre

Any extra ideas on what could come up? I know obviously main topics could be Russia Ukraine homelessness refugees etc, anyone have any other ideas :))

Thanks for that, I'd assumed the Law Society too but wasn't one bit confident in it. I'd a though the Good Friday agreement could pop up with 25th anniversary this year, housing again, globalisation and China.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that I was thinking that as well, no problem I’m thinking of calling them tomorrow to find out so I’ll put it in here if I do :)

Advertisement