Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

ithread wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and like some of you, in the process of preparing for the interview. Great to read some of the threads on here!!

I was wondering if anyone knows if you are supposed to receive a separate response with the number of points you got in the written assessment? I got a letter to attend an interview but not sure how well I did in the test?

Thanks!

Hi iThread,
    I'm not 100% on this, but from my on and others I know experience, it really depends on the course you're applying to, like for example, you can be called for interview for Med in May but won't get the HPAT results regardless until June, whereas some I know who sat psychological assessment tests for Counselling courses got the written assessment results before they had an interview.
    I'd say though given that you've got the interview, you can be assured you did fabulously! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

ithread, if it's nursing that you applied for then you recieve your points that you got on the same letter that says whether you passed the interview or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Hi Laydee, yes it is Nursing and I received an A4 envelope with the interview date and time etc. and also interview material pages but no sign of any points anywhere. Did you get yours together in the same envelope?

Cheers

Sorry Laydee, just re-read your post - do you mean I will only find out how many points I received if I pass at the interview stage?

Cheers!

You will only get your points when you get the letter to say you passed the interview. So in about 6 weeks or so.
    You can score very high but if you fail the interview then you don't get a place so get preparing for that interview. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Laydee

I've been at it today - trying to prepare! Some great posts on boards.ie! So glad I came across it! All this waiting is a nightmare!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jimmyhat

Had my interview today and it went pretty good , the 3 people interviewing me were very nice and we had a bit of a laugh... now I just got to wait to see what happens next.
    One of the ladies interviewing me said that applications are up 40% on last year so there is a lot of competition of places(fingers crossed)

Hi jimmyhat
    Did you have a Mature student nursing interview or was it for some other subject? I thought they weren't starting until the 17th?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jimmyhat

No Nursing for me , computer science level8 @ Carlow IT. There was at least 100 people waiting to be interviewed at all times... they had a one in one out system in the waiting room.

One out, one in - scary ha! Best of luck to you anyway jimmyhat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lilylarkin

Hi, Just found this thread and ive been offered a place at UCd Engineering for Sept 2010 as a mature student. I am curious to know if you did finally get into University and if so how has it been for you? Did you qualify for any free fees? I did a diploma in 1989 so I am wondering if i will qualify for free fees? I am also curious about the main difficulties you are finding in getting to grips with learning/studying all over again? I am 43 next month and am worried about being perceived as a doddering elder and not fitting in. Having said that, my main motive is for re-educating myself and succeeding in getting a new career but it would be nice to fit in for 5 years!
    Would love to hear about your experiences of those of anyone else who has made the jump to studying at UCD as a mature student.

I moved your post here Lily as its probably suited more to this thread. - Larianne

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I make it 5 weeks to go until mature students find out if thy got offered a place. Best of luck everyone. And congrats to everyone who has already been offered a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

jimmyhat wrote: »
    No Nursing for me , computer science level8 @ Carlow IT. There was at least 100 people waiting to be interviewed at all times... they had a one in one out system in the waiting room.

Was this all for the same course or for different courses?
    BTW, was it CW238 u applied for? Was thinking of going back to do CW207 but i think its too late to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Passed all my exams!! YAY!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lilylarkin

Well done you, Larianne. Go maturies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

:PHey all. I’ve been reading this tread and I’m glad to see so many people in the same boat as me. I applied for the Higher Certificate in Computing in Information Technology Support course in LYIT. I sat the interview on Wednesday last and got my acceptance letter on Friday. The course starts next Monday( can’t wait! ). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 seanypf

Hi all.
    congrats to all who have recieved an a place for sept.
    Iv been offered a place in NUIM. I'v been reading this thread with great interest.
    Im in a situation now where having recieved a place I seem to be hitting a brick wall trying to arrange finance through grants. to qualify for btea I need to be singing on for 234 days as they say. Come the 12th of sept i will have been in reciept of payment for 254. Thank god I thought im entitled to it...but once again hopes where dashed when I realised that sundays do not count in qualifying time which takes away 35 days, and so leaves me 15 days short.
    Im wondering is it possible to say that the course doesnt start until the 8th of nov which would give me the time I need...anybody any experience with this?? would college be willing to say this is when course starts??
    Somehow I doubt it!
    The other option was maintenance grant. This didnt get far. Because I spent 2009 in the U.S. I am not entitled to this either. Its absolutely crazy. Im being penalised for going looking for work in 2009 instead of staying here signing on. I mite have to give up on taking the course this year because im two weeks short on btea. this would mean sitting around waiting until next year thus costing the state another year of welfare they dont need to pay.
    Anyway sorry for the long rant, suppose im venting a bit. I really want to go back to college. I just dont see how I can survive without the aid of financial asistance as working would consume too much time thats needed for study
    any thoughts people??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

seanypf wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Iv been offered a place in NUIM. I'v been reading this thread with great interest.
    Im in a situation now where having recieved a place I seem to be hitting a brick wall trying to arrange finance through grants. to qualify for btea I need to be singing on for 234 days as they say. Come the 12th of sept i will have been in reciept of payment for 254. Thank god I thought im entitled to it...but once again hopes where dashed when I realised that sundays do not count in qualifying time which takes away 35 days, and so leaves me 15 days short.
    Im wondering is it possible to say that the course doesnt start until the 8th of nov which would give me the time I need...anybody any experience with this?? would college be willing to say this is when course starts??
    Somehow I doubt it!
    The other option was maintenance grant. This didnt get far. Because I spent 2009 in the U.S. I am not entitled to this either. Its absolutely crazy. Im being penalised for going looking for work in 2009 instead of staying here signing on. I mite have to give up on taking the course this year because im two weeks short on btea. this would mean sitting around waiting until next year thus costing the state another year of welfare they dont need to pay.
    Anyway sorry for the long rant, suppose im venting a bit. I really want to go back to college. I just dont see how I can survive without the aid of financial asistance as working would consume too much time thats needed for study
    any thoughts people??

If you make an appointment with your local jobs Facilitator from the department of social welfare and really convince him that this college course is the career path for you and will really improve your employment prospects then he should be able to over look the 15 days. As for the year in America last year, I thought as long as you were living in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years you were entitled to a grant.
    From the citizens information webpage on the Higher Education Grants Scheme (New requirement to be resident in State for 3 of previous 5 years)

I hope this helps and best of luck.

P.S. Let me know how you get on.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Hi guys. I'm starting this september in UL studying the Bsc in Psychology. Can't bloody wait although I am a bit stressed about how I'll manage financially. Don't qualify for a grant or free fees and am looking into BTEA at the mo (fingers crossed!). Just wondering if anyone else is starting in UL this september?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

duffflash wrote: »
    If you make an appointment with your local jobs Facilitator from the department of social welfare and really convince him that this college course is the career path for you and will really improve your employment prospects then he should be able to over look the 15 days. As for the year in America last year, I thought as long as you were living in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years you were entitled to a grant.
    From the citizens information webpage on the Higher Education Grants Scheme (New requirement to be resident in State for 3 of previous 5 years)

Nah, its a new rule they apparently just brought in. I rang them 2 days ago and told I fulfilled every requirement for the grant except that I was living out of the country on 1st October 2009. So now its that you have to have lived here for 3 of the past 5 years, with one of them years being this current year.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

seanypf wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Somehow I doubt it!
    any thoughts people??

It's incredibly frustrating. I was offered a place in NUIM last year, but as I wasn't entitled to free fees, grant or BTEA, I had no choice but to defer for the year. Not the most logical solution - for me or the state, but it's back around again and I start in September. That might be the only option, but try having a chat with someone at your local welfare office. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'm not to worried about anything :)

Only the maount of food i wont have at my disposal and of course...living with younger people :mad:

Oh and of course, im looking forward to being back in collage...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MaMAme

Hi everyone. I will be starting a MA in art therapy in cork in september 2010. Students are required to attend Mondays & Tuesdays each week. The classroom is in westside business park, just off Model Farm Rd. Do any of you have any advice on suitable accommodation? (I will be a mature -50yr old -Student)
    Have any of you taken this course?
    Where do students attending for 2 days usually stay, "student accommodation", hostels, B n Bs etc. ?
    Any other advice

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevewales0

Hi, I'm starting Arts101 in UCC and I'm really looking forward.
    I've a bit of an issue with chronic leg pain and have been talking to the support service in UCC --- VERY Helpful

if anyone has any health issues that might impact on their study -- do get in touch with their relevant college's support service -- You need to be in with them before you start, not when your work is suffering!
    If you're like me, you'll want to try and keep your head down and not get stuck with another label, Wrong -- ask for what you need, ask for what you just might need, if it's on your "Statement Of Needs" (backed-up by written confirmation from GP etc), The colleges will be required to facilitate you.

While I was on the Mature Student workshop in UCC a couple of people asked for advice on which printer they should buy and how much they should pay.
    I recently bought an Epsom SX515w from Tesco for 89bucks.
    It's a high speed printer that has built-in wireless connectivity, so you can print from your laptop without being attached.
    You can buy non-epsom branded cartridges from only 3EURO here
    https://www.inkjet.ie/index.php?pageid=4&product_id=399

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hope everyone is getting on okay in their courses!

I finished my exams last week. Passed the all. Phew! Not loving the course at the moment. What we're doing at the moment is kinda boring and doesn't really interest me. But I guess I'm learning the basics. Hopefully it'll get better next term and sure at the end of it I'll be on placement!!! :eek: :D

Remember, if you're finding things difficult, there is always someone to talk to. Whether its your fellow classmates, lecturers, tutors, mature student officers, welfare officers in the college or the people of boards!!! Just don't keep your worries to yourself!! ;)

Well done on passing all your exams Larianne!!
    I'm sure every course has it's boring parts, at least the semester is over now :D

I have my exams in January, I'm not too worried. I'm enjoying my course at the moment & can't wait to go back out on placement in April :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 fionab2010

Hi everyone, congrats to those who passed exams and comiserations to those having trouble with grants/btea etc...

I am a mature student at the moment, i love my course, going back to college was the best decision i have ever made for myself. I do not miss work not one bit :D

But i have been through hoops, house moves(downsizing), btea, getting a grant, oh wait no we are not giving you a grant lol, and it all works out in the end. I am pretty sure if there were jobs available the btea section in the social welfare office would snap me up and pay me well:rolleyes:

So if anyone has btea problems i'd love to help if i can.

Going back to college was a huge deal for me, i had been working since i left school!!!! Im 29 now well i worked until 3 years ago when i was thrown on the scrap heap :eek::eek: and i now consider the recession to be the best thing that could have happened for me. I am so much happier now being a mature student, having life experience behind me and FINALLY knowing what i want and not just rollercoasting through each week to pay the bills, like a hamster on a wheel.

It took a long time to organise, i had a few horrible weeks with no money at all, and more than a few days with nothing but the ice in the freezer:p
    I am doing grand now, it will work out, i have adjusted to being a broke student ;) and its grand cause we are all in the same boat.

So anyway if i can help i will with btea questions, ill be browsing the boards...take care all x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

JayC5 wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone else a little freaked about returning to study as a mature student this Autumn? I'm starting to get the 'ball-shivers' thinking about it!! - I hope I don't live to regret this one as I walked out of my job to do this (one which I disliked but nonetheless - still a job...)

Anyways, best of luck to those who've took the leap - oh & take a modicum of solace knowing that you're not the only one poo'in pellets over it :D

I'm not worried at all going back to education is gonna be great an now Im a few years older I'm not going to be intimidate, quite the opposite :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

hi all,hope results were kind all around?i went back last sept and have loved every bit of it(business in IT tralee)got results for module 1 last week and passed everything:)my problem is one of my new modules(cost accounting) is proving to be way over my head...im not going to drop out or anything but theres no chance im going to pass it(CA in 4 weeks)....anyone know of (A)an easier way of understanding it or (B)any website that explains it more simply..... im convinced the lecturer thinks were all accountants,thanking ye:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

anyone know of (A)an easier way of understanding it or (B)any website that explains it more simply..... im convinced the lecturer thinks were all accountants,thanking ye:confused::confused:

Ask around or have a look at your college's website to see if anyone's giving grinds in that topic.

Advertisement