Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will COVID-19 PUP recipients have to repay the money?

Options
  • 25-02-2021 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I don't think it's really fair for people who didn't receive the PUP payment if it turns out that those who did don't have to eventually pay it back, considering the medical and essential retail workers who have worked throughout the pandemic (some earning less than €350 a week for actually working) while everyone got paid just to stay at home.

I can't find anything on revenue or citizen's information about this, though I've heard through word of mouth that "people will have to pay it back". My gut feeling is that the government is going to increase income tax over the next few years on *everyone* to help reimburse the total cost of the PUP payment program, describing it as a "country has to unite to combat our deficit, it's everyone's responsibility" etc. BS and screw over the essential workers.

All I can find on revenue's website is that people will have to, over the period 2022-2025, pay the *tax* on these payments that should have been charged. Considering €350 a week probably doesn't warrant much tax this reads as it will be totally unnoticeable. It still feels like the people on the payment got free money and the essential workers got screwed over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

RockyRob97 wrote: »
    I don't think it's really fair for people who didn't receive the PUP payment if it turns out that those who did don't have to eventually pay it back, considering the medical and essential retail workers who have worked throughout the pandemic (some earning less than €350 a week for actually working) while everyone got paid just to stay at home.

I can't find anything on revenue or citizen's information about this, though I've heard through word of mouth that "people will have to pay it back". My gut feeling is that the government is going to increase income tax over the next few years on *everyone* to help reimburse the total cost of the PUP payment program, describing it as a "country has to unite to combat our deficit, it's everyone's responsibility" etc. BS and screw over the essential workers.

All I can find on revenue's website is that people will have to, over the period 2022-2025, pay the *tax* on these payments that should have been charged. Considering €350 a week probably doesn't warrant much tax this reads as it will be totally unnoticeable. It still feels like the people on the payment got free money and the essential workers got screwed over.

The people on PUP didn’t choose to have their jobs taken away and get ‘paid just to sit at home’. I, for one out of many, have taken an cut to my income, I am very grateful for it, don’t get me wrong, but I would 100% prefer to be allowed do my job, it’s not our fault some essential workers get less than €350 a week. Don’t take your frustration out on people who have no option but to stay at home and claim the PUP.

Why should the PUP be paid back? Some people claim the dole all their lives and never pay a cent back. We will be paying our taxes when we return to work, just like everyone else who works.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're coming home with less than €350 a week, then you should be focussed on getting employers and the state to pay you more, rather than calling for other low-paid people to get paid less.

On topic, PUP won't have to be paid "back", but it is taxable and the tax will be reclaimed over the next few years.

Advertisement